Lore Question and Historian RP

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

If Valor Were Inches
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Lore Question and Historian RP

Post by If Valor Were Inches » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:20 pm

So rather than fight incurable alternate-making, I want to embrace my new found fire to make a historian.

Q1: Does Lore skill and epic skill focuses help with language comprehension, or do they do nothing in the current system?

Q2: How do Articles get submitted to the EA? Do they have to be historically accurate?

Q3: What are some good classes to fit a historian around? Current thought is a tri-mix of Cleric/Bard/Wizard with high intelligence/wisdom/charisma and lower physical stats, with a likely pick of gnome.

Q4: What are deities based around history and gathering? I only know Oghma and Deneir, are there others?
Last edited by If Valor Were Inches on Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cataclysm of Iron

Re: Lore Question and Historian RP

Post by Cataclysm of Iron » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:37 pm

Stuffy academic record-keeping historian = Wizard
Cultural historian/historical storyteller = Bard

I can easily see hybrid concepts. High INT for either, high CHA for the last one.
Xerah wrote: People have a very weird possessive nature over a lot of things in Arelith.

Revelations

Post by Revelations » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:42 pm

Q1: Lore skill (modified) helps with recognising and understanding languages you aren't fluent in. Not speaking, or learning.

Q2: I'm sure how to submit books to EA is explained somewhere on the site (check links at the top). It's part of history-keeping to work through subjective and incomplete records, so submitting works that aren't 100% accurate isn't necessarily a bad thing, but rather potentially RP-inducing. EA is entirely IC; so you're basically free to post whatever.

Q3: You're most likely looking at bard and wizard. At the end of the day, of course any PC can be a historian, regardless of class.

Q4: Across the scope, you're looking at things like Oghma (knowledge, lore), Deneir (basically Oghma's scribe). There are racial deities that might fit as well, like Labelas for elves. But as before, PCs of any faith can hypothetically be historians.
Be faithful in the face of death
And I will give you the crown of life

Mithreas
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Mithreas » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:00 am

If Valor Were Inches wrote: Q2: How do Articles get submitted to the EA? Do they have to be historically accurate?
Just post them, no accuracy requirements. So long as they are posted from an IC viewpoint, go ahead.

I will get grumpy if people start trying to advance OOC agendas by posting a bunch of propaganda on the EA, but I hope that is unlikely :)
xkcd.com is best viewed with Netscape Navigator 4.0 or below on a Pentium 3±1 emulated in Javascript on an Apple IIGS at a screen resolution of 1024x1.For security reasons, please leave caps lock on while browsing.

Marsi

Post by Marsi » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:29 am

Do you intend on creating IG archives of history or publishing directly to EA? The former is a little more difficult (messageboard making, character limits...), but far more rewarding for yourself and enriching to the server imo.

Why should the great bell of Beaulieu toll when the shadows were neither short nor long?

Seven Sons of Sin

Post by Seven Sons of Sin » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:50 pm

You honestly can be any class and be a "historian." A fighter-historian, a barbarian-historian, a paladin-historian, a druid-historian, etc.

Chronicling of events can be done in many different ways, and should not be limited to some preconceived idea of a stuffy scholar with a bunch of books. (Nor do you have to necessary "write" history at all.)

There's a lot you can do with artwork and architecture as a medium. Or theatre. Or poetry. Or the creation of galas and dances as a way of telling history. (i.e. the Glory of Cordor Ball, that honours the victory over Wharftown) You could tell stories in the Ancient Greek tradition, and just constantly repeat and tell and modify past events through dialogue.

I would challenge the conventions of writing of books. I do think it's fantastic, but also try to look beyond it and see what one can do.
Previous:
Oskarr of Procampur, Ro Irokon, Nahal Azyen, Nelehein Afsana (of Impiltur), Vencenti Medici, Nizram ali Balazdam, (Roznik) Naethandreil

Black Wendigo

Post by Black Wendigo » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:06 pm

I agree with Seven Any class is good for a historian. Only it will make a very big impact which class yuo take because the perspective from a warrior's view will be very different from that of a wizard's, for instance. The same thing is true for races.