druid vs. totem druid

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

BegoneThoth

Re: druid vs. totem druid

Post by BegoneThoth » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:41 am

Most of those have saves, making them pretty irrelevant, and ele swarm is just WoF bait.

Their spells are not too hot.
\

Tourmaline

Post by Tourmaline » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:48 am

I might like to see totem druids phased out but have the various animals be shapes any druid can take and each with special situational abilities-- one has fast movement, one can't fight but has HiPS, etc. Maybe shapes would have to be learned and different animal summons could be streamed.

Just a dream of course.

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:22 am

I think you could just give each one a special ability (stats not counting as a special ability) and then lose the -12 physical spread and let them keep normal stats. That way you can just pick what you think is the coolest and not lose out on so much feat opportunity or what have you.

You could be a parrot totem with no 'disadvantage' levied onto you.
\

Mouthy Expert

Post by Mouthy Expert » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:26 am

One Two Three Five wrote:Arguments like this is why I think we should have cosmetic totems. I'd love to summon snakes without taking a gigantic stat hit.
Agreed. I'd also trade totem shape for an expanded vanilla wildshape in a second.

Cataclysm of Iron

Post by Cataclysm of Iron » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:34 am

Tourmaline wrote:I might like to see totem druids phased out but have the various animals be shapes any druid can take and each with special situational abilities-- one has fast movement, one can't fight but has HiPS, etc. Maybe shapes would have to be learned and different animal summons could be streamed.

Just a dream of course.
Xerah wrote: People have a very weird possessive nature over a lot of things in Arelith.

Sab1

Post by Sab1 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:19 pm

caldura firebourne wrote:
Sab1 wrote:That could be said for any race or class that bonuses would make them more fun to play. Please no more unneeded class tampering.
What's wrong with adjusting an underplayed path?
I mean, I understand changes may not always be a good thing but it's really not constructive to simply disagree with the possibility and downplay it as needless. To be fair the entire game is rather needless, we all play it for fun, so what's wrong with a little needless tampering to make parts if the game more fun?
Becuase when does tampering stop? Search the forums and you will see well class A got a boost so now class B should get one etc. Also if a class or race isn't as popular as another, so what. I personally don't want people playing a race just becuase they feel it's extra powerful. Becuase it becomes about power and not playing that race or class properly. If a class like PDK or say Spellsword is clearly out of whack, then change it. But needless to me is chaging things that really aren't all that bad to start with.

mazeofthorns

Post by mazeofthorns » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:19 pm

Ya know.... ultimately this build being better than that build shouldn't overshadow the RP aspect. What are you going to have fun with? What character will fit into the group that you are wanting to get into? Druid seems a popular build at present and I wonder if it's because people think its a power build or if they are really into the druid RP.

I get a lot of crazy ideas for characters but I ask for opinions from others on the server so I'm not bringing in something that will break the RP immersion and be ridiculous.

Sure it's nice for your character to be strong but is it really impossible to find a few others to go out and complete a writ with? Do we really need every character to be the strongest thing ever?

Any druid build will be strong. Since summons are provided and animal empathy (although you need a lot more AE in the UD to swing animals over to your way of thinking.)

Go out and have some fun in whatever you decide.

PS. And the stat hit is totally worth summoning a pit of vipers. Bwaahahaha
KALYIN -- "Black Cobra will aid your injuries should you stand close.... or he may strike you, depending on mood."

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:54 pm

Druid, generally, has one way to build that's very very powerful, and a ton of 'trap' builds some of which are nearly unplayable.

And due to how druid works with forms, there's precious little you cant do as the current power build that you could do with a 'flavor' build.
\

caldura firebourne

Post by caldura firebourne » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:29 pm

Sab1 wrote:
caldura firebourne wrote:
Sab1 wrote:That could be said for any race or class that bonuses would make them more fun to play. Please no more unneeded class tampering.
What's wrong with adjusting an underplayed path?
I mean, I understand changes may not always be a good thing but it's really not constructive to simply disagree with the possibility and downplay it as needless. To be fair the entire game is rather needless, we all play it for fun, so what's wrong with a little needless tampering to make parts if the game more fun?
Becuase when does tampering stop? Search the forums and you will see well class A got a boost so now class B should get one etc. Also if a class or race isn't as popular as another, so what. I personally don't want people playing a race just becuase they feel it's extra powerful. Becuase it becomes about power and not playing that race or class properly. If a class like PDK or say Spellsword is clearly out of whack, then change it. But needless to me is chaging things that really aren't all that bad to start with.

The mindeset "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" doesn't really convince me that we should just not discuss it. If that is the stance we're supposed to take, why don't we just play the vanilla campaign?
Updates are awesome, I thouroughly enjoy the time put into this server and I'm always excited to see what's in the next tweak. Everything we love about Arelith comes from the developers and coders who didn't just decide it's good enough and leave well enough alone.

If the tampering never stops, I'd be perfectly okay with that.
Plays as the monster in your closet