What do you think makes a great roleplayer?

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Seven Sons of Sin

What do you think makes a great roleplayer?

Post by Seven Sons of Sin » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:34 pm

I'm curious.

And I think we should try be as specific as possible in these sorts of discussions. Call scenes out, or specific interactions. Be honest.

I know we have the meter of the RPR System, and Gary Gygax's ultimate line of "becomes a part of the breathing world" but that's a sort of abstract statement. What does that look like in practice, to you?

When you walk away from an interaction with other character(s), whether it was 5, 10, 30, or 60 minutes long (or longer), what differentiates "really good" scenes from "not so good" ones?

Do great roleplayers solely come up with great characters, and let you interact in a novel way? Do great roleplayers act as a "bedrock" for your own interactions - allowing you to develop relationships, and build upon themes and ideas? Do great roleplayers create conflict, and force you to make tough decisions and challenging confrontations?

All of the above?

For me, and over time, one of quality I've always looked for in roleplayers is the ability to walk away. To frame what I mean, I think there's a lot of times where players knowingly or unknowingly break or bend their characters to "fit" within a particular group or event. Because they know that group or event is going to be fun, and pay off, but there's still this element of compromise. A common example is when there's a stand-off between friends, or a true confrontation, and they end a relationship - knowing that they're going to lose out on all future fun roleplay. While not fitting every scenario, I think there's a lot of strength when a roleplayer makes some sort of sacrifice of fun to live out meaningful conflict and struggle.

I think another interesting conversation is how great roleplayers fit within Arelith leadership. I think there's always a lot of assumptions that faction leaders = great roleplayers. To an extent, this is true, as a lot of Arelith's "best" have been in positions of leadership across the island. From our councilors to our archvillains, but what if you've no interest/desire in faction leadership - how are you a great roleplayer then? What qualities does a non-leader great roleplayer have to you?

How much do things like lore, and concept really matter to you? Do great roleplayers need to know everything about a particular region or faith or piece of worldbuilding in order to have a character from that?

Do you think detailed emotes are important?
Do you care about layered dialogue, or just think being obvious and overt is more clear and helpful when roleplaying?
Does conflict really matter? Does it matter more than great characterization?
Previous:
Oskarr of Procampur, Ro Irokon, Nahal Azyen, Nelehein Afsana (of Impiltur), Vencenti Medici, Nizram ali Balazdam, (Roznik) Naethandreil

DarkDreamer
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Re: What do you think makes a great roleplayer?

Post by DarkDreamer » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:38 pm

For me a great RPer is the person that considers the feelings and considerations of all involved, admittedly in bigger groups this is harder, but this also applys in the attacker/victim stance, if the player isn't having fun and they change the rp to make it fun, give wins to both the good and bad and isn't afraid to roll with the punches.

Tepes

Post by Tepes » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:38 pm

Accepting and embracing the little Diva that lives in every roleplayer. Not being overwhelmed by that. Just considering and using it.

Dr. B

Post by Dr. B » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:41 pm

I am actually dubious of the value of these threads, and find them to be potentially harmful, since people might read them and form impressions of what counts as good or bad RP based on biased or dogmatic views expressed by the posters that might be obliquely targeted at certain players or factions. Honestly, just follow the rules, stay in character, and make the try to make the game fun for those around you. My advice is to simply think about what the people you consider great roleplayers do, and try to emulate that. Some people will be great at this, some people will be good, and some people will be mediocre. Just as not every student will get an A in a class, so too is there no "secret code" that generates stellar RP.

That said, a few basic thoughts come to mind:

1. Don't trash talk people OOG. Your OOG conduct affects the IG quality of roleplay.

2. Separate your character's ego from your own. What happens to your character does not happen to you, and your real life will not change in any way based on your character's successes or defeats. If you find yourself too invested in your character's successes and defeats (eg., are enraged when someone insults your character IG, kills them, takes over their shop or quarter, etc.), it is a sign you are playing the game too much and possibly have emotional problems that you need to tackle and are being exacerbated by your addiction to the game.
3a. Don't associate with factions whose players act like this.

3. Don't spoil people's IG secrets OOG.

4. Report all breaches of the rules to the DMs. Do not associate with players who break the rules; this encourages looking the other way and a "don't tattle" mentality that is detrimental to the server.

Following these rules won't automatically make you a great roleplayer, but it will conduce to an environment where great RP can thrive. If being a good roleplayer means anything, it means first and foremost being a good player.
Last edited by Dr. B on Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kirito

Post by Kirito » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:58 pm

For me, it's the ability of someone either to pull you into their story (not by force, but by desire - like reading a great book where you just want to know more and can't put it down).

And on the flip side, someone that wants to support YOUR story, and not try and crush your story with their own.

Broadly, it's all about the story for me :)

PinataPlethora

Post by PinataPlethora » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:01 pm

A great RPer knows who their character is at the core, and bends the character in small ways when it will make more fun for others, but holds to the character's personality and beliefs when it's necessary for the story.

Conflict will come naturally if you don't twist your character around to avoid it. Emotes don't have to be especially detailed; they just have to be enough to show other players the motivation behind otherwise ambiguous dialog.

Arelith could be entirely without large scale ideological player conflict and still be a great RP server, because there's already plenty out there to fight against. Not necessarily a great roleplayer, but a great player will recognize when someone isn't interested in getting involved in the convoluted racial and political subplots, and give them an out.

Like DarkDreamer says, a great RPer should consider the feelings of other players. Crushing them either for the sake of your ego or fanatical adherence to purity of story will only stifle future RP opportunities.

I think one of the reasons why leaders are viewed as great RPers is because they're necessarily so connected to the players around them, and that gives them a lot of practice with RPing and the ability to connect other players with each other, which is why we're all here in the first place. Leading is an easy way to do that, because others will come to you, but you can still do it by going to them or shining brightly enough to get attention without dangling faction power as an incentive. I don't believe that being a leader has any direct connection with being a great RPer, it's just a way for those players that have a goal in mind to gather support, and it's the goal that made them attractive.

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:03 pm

Not setting out to tell a story, and behaving like a real person with some solid convocations.
\

Iceborn

Post by Iceborn » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:15 pm

A great roleplayer needs many things. In many cases, it can be a matter of taste of what others find interesting in their roleplay. For me, a great roleplayer exhibits these traits:

Dynamic writing - a character is always reactive and expressive. They are humane and bend in SOME way.
Dynamic personality - a character can bend, it can take new ideas and accept different points of view for the sake of dealing with other characters and being a fun experience to the players.
Inclusiveness - the player must often find excuses and reasons to include other people in their stories, or at least give the opportunity to be part of them.
Conflict-crafting - the player must have desires, or inspire desires in others that may cause conflict with other characters. Force them to take sides or undesirable options IC, that may be interesting OOCly.
Spotlight shifting - this means that however notorious your character may be, you can and will push other characters to the eye of the storm. Even if you feel you can do much better in their place. Practice makes the mastery, and if you don't have any opportunity to take the spotlight, you'll never get any chance to get better at it. This is something that I struggle a lot doing myself, and I have to smack myself against the keyboard chanting "bad ice" occasionally for it.
Misc Changes, with the Feats and Skills sublinks.
Available races
Spell Changes
Class Mechanics
Command Guide

Take a look before asking your questions!

Marsi

Post by Marsi » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:23 pm

My (very simplified) hot take is that a roleplayer is made up of three aspects:
  1. the Technical
  2. the Aesthetic
  3. the Charismatic
The technical governs their actual writing ability, vocabulary, quality of emotes and dialogue: whether or not being a proficient writer is important to them. The aesthetic governs their style, basically -- everything from having a cinematographer's eye when it comes to creating scenes with other players to which portrait and clothes they choose for their character -- but also their ability to reconcile their imagination with what NWN/server mechanics allow, and not neglecting them either. The charismatic governs their performance with the playerbase at large, whether that means faction-leading or conflict/PvP.

A roleplayer is a combination of weaknesses and strengths between these three portfolios, with a "great roleplayer" being strong to some degree in all of them.

You could have a player who is very good at bootstrapping factions (charisma), but their work is quick and unthinking, the results fairly "ugly" and weak thematically (aesthetic).

You could have a roleplayer who makes for great conversation (technical), but only in the confines of their quarter's lounge-room. They don't understand how to craft or roll with an impressive scene to deliver the themes behind their character (aesthetic), and they are too lethargic to meaningfully impact the server at large (charisma).

You could have a highly technical and highly aesthetic roleplayer, but who is not very charismatic and while their one-on-one interactions may be very good, they won't be found leading factions or influencing the fate of the entire server.

Further thoughts:
  • Another interesting theory I remember coming out of a discussion somewhere on the forums is that there's two major disciplines of RP: the writer and the actor.
  • Personally, I find psychological depth in characters to be overrated, and that it promotes lethargy and self-importance. Not that I think it should be done away with when brainstorming a character, but that one's ability to impact the server is ultimately more important than what happened to them when they were eight and whether or not they're "real" enough.
  • I think NWN mechanics shouldn't be neglected in favour of wholly made-up roleplay fluff, and that they should be involved as much as possible in order to give roleplay a real weight and punch. I like it when I see ale and food items actually put on the table, swords actually brandished when inspected, items actually thrown away when the character is frustrated, actual inventory items made the macguffins of plots, palemaster PCs making themselves a fixture phylactery that can be destroyed, etc etc. This has to do with conflict, too -- actual PvP vs. "roleplay fighting".
  • Roleplaying / writing should be examined on an objective level, that hiding behind excuses of subjectivity doesn't help anyone. I.e. it shouldn't be taboo to think that not all roleplayers are created equal. (no other subculture but writing must yield to protect the ego of its least skilled members -- why is that?)

Why should the great bell of Beaulieu toll when the shadows were neither short nor long?

cptcuddlepants

Post by cptcuddlepants » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:29 pm

It's a lot easier to figure out what makes a not-so-great roleplayer, but what makes a great roleplayer is a lot harder to figure out. I'm reminded of a reply to a post on the Neverwinter Nights subreddit I saw some time ago, vaguely related to this.

I think, in order to make a great roleplayer, you need:

Openness towards OOC communication. Roleplaying is a collaborative effort, like a group project. Imagine a group project that had a member like this: "I refuse to talk to any of you because that'll ruin the project, don't ask me what I'm doing, don't ask me what I have planned, how dare the professor send me an email that my graphically realistic depiction of a war zone is 'inappropriate', stop asking me to change my work, keep me separate from my project, stop taking your discomfort out on me, you can deal with your dislike by handling it within the project." Probably wouldn't work out too well, would it? Like a great leader, a great roleplayer will encourage communication between parties, to work out what everyone wants, what everyone is capable of, for the purpose of making the project/roleplay enjoyable for the people involved as well as the audience.

Willingness to bend/alter things to make roleplay enjoyable for others. A great roleplayer is willing to change where the roleplay's going, or back off entirely, if the other party isn't having fun or isn't comfortable with where things are going. Everything DarkDreamer said? Ditto that.

Willingness to share the spotlight. Roleplay isn't a book in which there's one main protagonist that everything revolves around. A great roleplayer will bring other characters into a scene and help them and their stories shine.

In my opinion, "great roleplayer" and "great writer" get blurred far too often. You can have an incredibly deep, three-dimensional character with amazing writing, intricate plots, and a huge impact on the server, but that doesn't always have anything to do with "great roleplay".
When the going gets tough, the tough hide under the table.

Get Jad's portrait here!

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:45 pm

not constantly trying to be a special snowflake who needs constant OOC/IC attention is a good start
:)

Iceborn

Post by Iceborn » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:41 pm

But Coooooooorteeeeeeeeex. Muh snowflakes!

I really like Marsi's way to put it. That is a great way to simplify several components that make what is most important to define what 'quality content' in the game is.
Misc Changes, with the Feats and Skills sublinks.
Available races
Spell Changes
Class Mechanics
Command Guide

Take a look before asking your questions!

The_Queen~s_Rebuke

Post by The_Queen~s_Rebuke » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:54 pm

Keep on track, guys. This is a thread to talk about habits and methods that have value, not to talk about resentments. The discussion thus far has had quite a bit to add, and I'd rather not see it devolve. Keep this in mind in the future:

hållö hållö wəlcöme to mý cæv

Dreams

Post by Dreams » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:00 pm

Great roleplayers stay IC. They understand that there is a difference between IC and OOC chatter, opinions, etc. They understand that whilst a character might be evil and nasty, it doesn't mean that the player of that character is. They're able to differentiate the feelings of their character from their own personal feelings, and apply the feelings of the character to the situations found in game.

In my opinion, if you have players who understand these concepts then there is no need for OOC collaboration, because you have people who come from a natural position of 'These players are great people who are here to play in this setting with me, and I will respect them and think they're great even if our characters fight'. OOC collaboration seems to be more necessary when dealing with mixtures of people who can keep IC and OOC separated, and people who cannot.

Seven Sons of Sin

Post by Seven Sons of Sin » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:07 pm

I think you raise an interesting point in your skepticism, Dr. B, but:

For a community centred around roleplay, we seemingly don't have a lot of conversations about it. Also, I bet you, there's an underlying set of skills that most 30ers possess, and definitely certain distinctions of 40ers. There's subjectivity to a point, and there's universality to those who we put on our pedestals.

Also, isn't public debate on positive qualities of roleplay healthy for a community? We don't shy away from critique of film, art, or literature (as a broader society), so I don't think we should here. And critique is different than criticism. I don't think we should focus on traits we resent, but rather start to talk about and break down traits, habits, methods, and yeah, even skills, that make stronger roleplay, and better roleplayers. Because cptcuddlepants points out an interesting point - strong writers don't immediately equate to strong roleplayers. That means it's different than writing, which means there's something "else" - which Marsi also touches.

If someone can go from a 20 to a 30, why can't they get to 40? There's practical barriers (playtime, spotlights, bias, etc.) but that doesn't mean we shouldn't talk about the hypothetical path to being the best you can be.

There's also the argument you don't anyone to ever get "comfortable", and strive for constant improvement and changes. I know that I steal habits and methods from other players constantly and try to incorporate them into my roleplay, whether its because I enjoy their style, or I think it achieves some end better than my own ability.
Previous:
Oskarr of Procampur, Ro Irokon, Nahal Azyen, Nelehein Afsana (of Impiltur), Vencenti Medici, Nizram ali Balazdam, (Roznik) Naethandreil

PinataPlethora

Post by PinataPlethora » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:36 pm

Seven Sons of Sin wrote:For a community centred around roleplay, we seemingly don't have a lot of conversations about it.
It's a difficult topic to openly discuss as an entire community, because the range of possible RP is so incredibly broad and nuanced that any forum post stating an opinion more complex than Wheaton's Law is going to be flawed in someone's eyes, who will then proceed to pick it apart. We all have our own views of what good RP should be - and the beauty of it is that there's a place for nearly all of it - but in a mass discussion, everyone will be pushing their personal views over those of others.

I think that a really genuine discussion about improving roleplay, beyond general rules, needs to be more intimate, so that the participants can grow to trust in each other's intentions. In the absence of that trust, suggestions can be easily misconstrued for criticism, especially given that they're usually unsolicited.

I've found that some of the best advice is given and received in threads where an individual player says "I want to be a better RPer, please help me", because it's targeted to a specific audience and doesn't feel like a roadside billboard pointing out errors.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that good RP is mentored, not dictated.

FrozenSolid

Post by FrozenSolid » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:04 am

A quality that I think is good to have is screening your characters actions through an IC screen like based on your characters qualities, life experiences, personalities etc what would they do?

This has been extra Important for me recently when trying to be evil. Those actions are hard to make sometimes haha, part of me just wants it to all be goooood. So taking a moment to pause and really make sure my character is acting based on HER experiences and desires and not my own is Important.

I guess an analogy would be like two people trying to drive a car, who is driving? If it swaps between character and OOC player too often it can be hard to figure out how to interact with that character.

Edit: I also wanted to add an opinion on your view on conflict.

When you're OOC friends with someone is one willing to set that aside to play your character out IC? Or are IC actions based on OOC friendships? I agree that the ability to make IC choices regardless of OOC relationships is good. It can be difficult as an outsider that doesn't have the same OOC relationships to get traction if choices happening in game are being decided out of game first
*Didn't just do that* As an arrow flies hitting someone in the face.

RedGiant

Post by RedGiant » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:15 am

They are affected by the environment and other characters.
They do not automatically translate engine/mechanics/ooc/meta issues into RP.
(i.e. There is no way this Imp could be a familiar, because the update thread told me we added them as a PC race yesterday, so I will treat them like Dispator just entered my living room.)
They suspend disbelief.
Winning isn't the most important thing to them.
They bend (not break) their roleplay to accommodate others.
They tell compelling stories.

There is more, but I need to go to bed....
The GrumpyCat wrote:I CLICK THE HOSTIBLE BUTTON NOW U ARE DED!
Irongron wrote:The slaughter, i am afraid, will not abate.

ProbablyAMage

Post by ProbablyAMage » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:00 pm

Dreams wrote:Great roleplayers stay IC.
Essentially this. It's important to note that great roleplay isn't necessarily FUN roleplay. If a character is sad or troubled, then an encounter with them could easily be depressing, scary, worrying, offputting or even boring. That they're playing their character true to it's personality is what makes them a great roleplayer. Great roleplayers can swap between characters with vastly different personalities and pull each off, because they focus first and foremost on how their characters feel and would react to given situations.

Yma23

Post by Yma23 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:44 am

Personaly I've always held three rules.

1) Have fun.
2) Try to ensure those around you have fun, or at the least try not to ruin their fun.
3) Play your character.

You won't always be able to manage all three of these. Sure, attacking your ooc best buddy who is playing an Super Evil Vampire, whlst you're playing a Lawful Good Paladin might not be much fun for them, but it's the only in character action!

Sure- Sure, maybe it's not too In character for you to drag the vampire off for interrogation after, but it's only a slight bending of charactersiation, and it'll be fun for you, and them.

Sure, It's not much fun for you as your Vampire prisoner escapes, but it made sense in the situation, and it's fun for him.

So yeah, you can't always manage all three of the above. But I find, if you're in a situation where you are failing to mange more than one? Then it might be worth thinking over.

As for other things - Good writing is always a treasure (I love SevenSonsOfSin for this, coincidentally. He's one of the best writers on the server IMO.)
I love it when you have characters that are both interesting to delve into in and of themselves, but also like delving into your own character. A give and take of perspectives, if you will.
Characters that are willing to share the spotlight of course.
Characters that start off cool events, that leap into things even though they know they may not fail, that start plots by just being gloriously insane! (Xarge is a great one for this.)
Players who are willing to have their characters be Wrong about something, or be Ignorant about something. To add their own twist upon the lore and mythos and so forth in forgotten realms. Not every commoner, barbarian, warrior or anyone else has access to the complete 3.0 handbook people! Make mistakes! Play up supersititon! Play up propoganda, lies, personal bias, rumour, and so forth! It's fun! (sorry for a little side rant there.)
Finally - I don't know so much if this is a uh... 'a thing I find good.' But rather - it's a tip in general that I find helps.
When Roleplay gives you lemons, try to make lemonaid.' Think the best of people. Take chances. When you get peeved off because someone killbashed you - do your best to make a story out of it anyway. Try and stay up beat. It is really tough but if you can mange it, it's very rewarding.

Curlydevil

Post by Curlydevil » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:44 pm

For me I used to fret over this when I first started playing on Arelith, I didn't know what would be good or bad RP, but some amazing people helped me with advice where they could and 2 that stand out for me was a dwarf friend of mine, I remember him saying to me "When it comes to emotes shout them out if you want so everyone can see them, don't be afraid to emote noises that might come from your armor or your heavy steps on the ground", I was wearing half plate or plate, AND AVOID GOD EMOTES "you attempt to grab, you attempt to throw" attempting is key to letting a player respond to you.

I love trying to emote my facial quirks or standing in a different manner than normal, falling over things, speaking in higher or lower tones, all of the things that don't take words to say. I find it can let people respond to your actions even if they aren't part of your conversation etc. I've acutally toyed with the idea of playing a mute that had their tongue cut out... maybe someday.

Then I asked a DM that really managed to capture my attention during an event, he was acting as a tree ent at the time... only able to speak elven to a group of anything but elves. It was hilarious... but back to my point, while they were emoting and the description what the ent would be doing in front of us, I was captivated. So I asked how they come up with what they are going to emote.

The answer was something like:

"Think what you! would act like if you come back from a four hour hike through mud and anything else and think what would you be like coming back into town, how would your look and feel, would your character be full of energy?"

I would like to use the example I was given that day word for word but alas I can't remember it that well.

Some folks have mentioned it before now, but don't be afraid to emote with your character, enjoy your character and the other characters that they get to interact with for the good and the bad.

However the most important thing for me to define good RP is the willingness to let someone else express their story as well.

It doesn't matter if your best-friend is a hin alderkin, and you are 12 foot lycan. If there is tension between the two characters I say play on it as your character would, make it fun for your friend and yourself. Let them go and find other players to tell them what happened.

In short do your best to enjoy your character and do your best to include players. Be it from RP with a lot of tension to making a new best friend in game, or finding a new love, anything you can envision for your character. If other players can get involved with it, then it can't be bad :)

PS: Longer than I thought it would be TY to anyone that reads this far.

Seven Sons of Sin

Post by Seven Sons of Sin » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:53 pm

PinataPlethora wrote:
Seven Sons of Sin wrote:For a community centred around roleplay, we seemingly don't have a lot of conversations about it.
It's a difficult topic to openly discuss as an entire community, because the range of possible RP is so incredibly broad and nuanced that any forum post stating an opinion more complex than Wheaton's Law is going to be flawed in someone's eyes, who will then proceed to pick it apart. We all have our own views of what good RP should be - and the beauty of it is that there's a place for nearly all of it - but in a mass discussion, everyone will be pushing their personal views over those of others.

I think that a really genuine discussion about improving roleplay, beyond general rules, needs to be more intimate, so that the participants can grow to trust in each other's intentions. In the absence of that trust, suggestions can be easily misconstrued for criticism, especially given that they're usually unsolicited.

I've found that some of the best advice is given and received in threads where an individual player says "I want to be a better RPer, please help me", because it's targeted to a specific audience and doesn't feel like a roadside billboard pointing out errors.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that good RP is mentored, not dictated.
This is a very interesting point, and I often wonder how I should go about facilitating feedback. Any recommendations?
Because while there is something about "trust between players", I think it can also be totally acceptable for someone who you aren't necessarily chummy with to give you critical feedback and thoughts. Ideas?
Previous:

Durvayas
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Durvayas » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:58 am

cptcuddlepants wrote:It's a lot easier to figure out what makes a not-so-great roleplayer, but what makes a great roleplayer is a lot harder to figure out. I'm reminded of a reply to a post on the Neverwinter Nights subreddit I saw some time ago, vaguely related to this.

I think, in order to make a great roleplayer, you need:

Openness towards OOC communication. Roleplaying is a collaborative effort, like a group project. Imagine a group project that had a member like this: "I refuse to talk to any of you because that'll ruin the project, don't ask me what I'm doing, don't ask me what I have planned, how dare the professor send me an email that my graphically realistic depiction of a war zone is 'inappropriate', stop asking me to change my work, keep me separate from my project, stop taking your discomfort out on me, you can deal with your dislike by handling it within the project." Probably wouldn't work out too well, would it? Like a great leader, a great roleplayer will encourage communication between parties, to work out what everyone wants, what everyone is capable of, for the purpose of making the project/roleplay enjoyable for the people involved as well as the audience.

Willingness to bend/alter things to make roleplay enjoyable for others. A great roleplayer is willing to change where the roleplay's going, or back off entirely, if the other party isn't having fun or isn't comfortable with where things are going. Everything DarkDreamer said? Ditto that.

Willingness to share the spotlight. Roleplay isn't a book in which there's one main protagonist that everything revolves around. A great roleplayer will bring other characters into a scene and help them and their stories shine.

In my opinion, "great roleplayer" and "great writer" get blurred far too often. You can have an incredibly deep, three-dimensional character with amazing writing, intricate plots, and a huge impact on the server, but that doesn't always have anything to do with "great roleplay".
Plays: Durvayas(deleted), Marco(deleted), Hounynrae(NPC), Sinithra Auvry'ndal(rolled), Rauvlin Barrith(Active), Madeline Clavelle(Shelved)

PinataPlethora

Post by PinataPlethora » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:27 am

Seven Sons of Sin wrote:This is a very interesting point, and I often wonder how I should go about facilitating feedback. Any recommendations?
Because while there is something about "trust between players", I think it can also be totally acceptable for someone who you aren't necessarily chummy with to give you critical feedback and thoughts. Ideas?
I don't think you have to be chummy at all, you just have to be engaged with each other. Too often, forum posts feel like another man's gospel shouted from a pulpit. All you really need is to have that simple person to person connection that lets each of you know that the other is going to listen to your side, once they've finished, and they're not just waiting for their turn to talk again.

It's not always easy to find that connection, but once you do, forum PMs, IG Tells, Discord, and the aforementioned player initiated help threads are all viable.

The crux of it is that if you want to give another player feedback, they have to want it, first. And if they don't think they want it, you have to find some way of convincing them that they do.

I guess you could try being a RPvangelist, and make yourself available. Maybe try to set up some sort of open workshop.

Xanos950

Post by Xanos950 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:42 pm

1. Don't metagame
2. Don't god-emote
3. Don't power-emote
4. Be inclusive.
5. Wheaton's Law.