NWN Music - MP3 to BMU Conversion

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Bran Bree

NWN Music - MP3 to BMU Conversion

Post by Bran Bree » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:18 pm

I want to convert mp3 to bmu and replace NWN music files. Let's say, for example, that I want "Battle of the Mounds" from Conan the Barbarian to play for a certain area. Is this possible?

Years ago I remember downloading a NWN music override pack that allowed me to include music from Baldur's Gate 2. But beyond this, I cannot remember what I did.

Wordless Truth

Re: NWN Music - MP3 to BMU Conversion

Post by Wordless Truth » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:39 pm

I'd love to read the answer to this.

Hopefully someone knows how to do it!

Wordless Truth

Post by Wordless Truth » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:01 am

Sorry, but *bump*

Anyone?

EDIT There's this: https://neverwintervault.org/project/nw ... ic/mp3-bmu
Going to try that out and try to post some short feedback here.

FoxyPigeon

Post by FoxyPigeon » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:10 pm

It's easy to find an mp3 to bmu converter online. To swap out your songs in NWN, what you want to do is convert the mp3, then in your NWN music folder, replace the whichever song you want it your new converted song to be. (The new bmu must have the same name as whichever file you are replacing).

It's best to make a copy of your NWN music folder prior to doing this. Anyway, as I was explaining this I noticed EE does not have the bmu files in the music folder? That is where you would find them in the original... Uh, that's really dumb, and I'm not sure how you would change them now. Thanks, EE. :/

StrykerMontgomery

Post by StrykerMontgomery » Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:15 pm

Hoping forba steam workshop on day i can subscribe too that will replace all my battle music with epic metal.
Currently played characters:
Have not played for over a year, thinking of returning again

Mithreas
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Mithreas » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:14 am

MP3 and BMU are the same thing. Just rename the file.

(This certainly works in reverse - renaming a BPU to an MP3 allows you to play it. MP3 has various encoding rates etc. and I've not tested whether NWN can read them all as BMU).
xkcd.com is best viewed with Netscape Navigator 4.0 or below on a Pentium 3±1 emulated in Javascript on an Apple IIGS at a screen resolution of 1024x1.For security reasons, please leave caps lock on while browsing.

Wordless Truth

Post by Wordless Truth » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:04 pm

FoxyPigeon wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:10 pm
Anyway, as I was explaining this I noticed EE does not have the bmu files in the music folder?
This is true - How does replacing music files work now? Does anyone know?

JediMindTrix

Post by JediMindTrix » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:57 am

They're probably in the users/username/documents/neverwinter nights/music folder.

Wordless Truth

Post by Wordless Truth » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:51 pm

JediMindTrix wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:57 am
They're probably in the users/username/documents/neverwinter nights/music folder.
They are not.

JediMindTrix

Post by JediMindTrix » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:59 am

well that's odd. same here. that is the directory the INI points to for music, though. Some thoughts:

1) Rename whatever music you want to override the original tunes and just put them in that empty music folder and see if that works. If it doesn't you will probably have to userpatch in a .hak that has the properly named .bmu's

Dragonovith
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Dragonovith » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:55 am

I'm not a fan of the soundtrack added with the Wyvern Crown/Premium Modules, and so I've replaced (by using the program in Wordless Truth's link and renaming them accordingly to the files I wanted to replace) those songs for similar, in tone and rhythm, tracks from the Morrowind and Knights of the Old Republic soundtracks, which were composed for Jeremy Soule, same composer of the NWN's OST (honestly, they all sound very alike). For that, I've replaced the .BMU files in this folder inside the game one:

D:\Beamdog\00785\data\mus

I am not sure how different the Steam version is, for I use the Beamdog version. Also, I don't think I can share this modification publicly because copyrights, so... rip :/

Wordless Truth

Post by Wordless Truth » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:05 am

Are there files in that folder in the Beamdog version? Because there are no files to replace in the Steam version.

Difficult to replace anything if you don't have the file names. I could probably figure them out by checking the 1.69 NWN folder for the file names and try it out, if placing custom .bmu files with the correct name in the empty EE music folder works.

Different question - I'll probably compile some sort of soundtrack for myself with music that's either openly available (YT) or music that I bought.
But if it turns out great - How much of a copyright problem thing would it be to make it a subscribable add-on on Steam Workshop?

FoxyPigeon

Post by FoxyPigeon » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:29 am

I think I found the music files for the Beamdog version.

Under your username, there should be a folder named "Beamdog Library" there is another folder with a numbered name inside that (mine has two... not sure if these are different updates or what), inside those folders is one named "Data", inside data is a "mus" folder that has all the NWN .bmus.