Crafting Poison Changes

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Baseili

Crafting Poison Changes

Post by Baseili » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:44 am

Now that certain poisons require immunity to craft, I'm curious to know if equiping an item that has poison immunity/use would fulfil the requirement or if it's class/selected feat only?

I ask as I planned to use poisons on my ranger, sinking a full 35 CP into herbalism in order to reach the interesting ones, however with the new changes it seems pointless to go above 25 if they've been locked away for whatever reason.

Cheers

*Edit - Struck out an error. I had misread an update while glancing and thought all poisons had their restrictions removed.*
Last edited by Baseili on Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Iceborn

Re: Crafting Poison Changes

Post by Iceborn » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:07 pm

It's not fair to say that they are locked away.
Prior the change, only blackguards and assassins could make these poisons. Now, anybody with poison immunity can, so the array of classes that can use them is greater.

The question is fair, though. I'll be noting the answer.
Misc Changes, with the Feats and Skills sublinks.
Available races
Spell Changes
Class Mechanics
Command Guide

Take a look before asking your questions!

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:14 pm

To be specific, you now only need 1 level of Blackguard/Assassin, 11 monk, the Perfect Body epic feat, or the duergar, wild dwarf, or goblin subrace.

Previously the affected poisons were ONLY available to characters with 5 BG/Assassin.
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

flower

Post by flower » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:31 pm

But to use them, you still need to roll dex check or get feat, right?

Morderon
Technical Lead
Technical Lead

Post by Morderon » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:40 pm

Correct I didn't change who could use them.

Just who could craft them.

Edit: I also forgot about duergar's poison immunity oops..

Baseili

Post by Baseili » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:01 pm

Locked away, restricted, can only be crafted by a select few, it all means the same thing. Semantics aside, the question remains.

Come to think of it, isn't it a bit backwards that someone with expert knowledge of flora and fauna (35 herb) is unable to craft said poisons but anyone with a high enough dex can use them? Wouldn't it be more thermatic to limit usage rather than creation?

*Edit - Seems I misread an update note when glancing through and thought all poisons had their restrictions limited. My error. *

Memelord

Post by Memelord » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:15 pm

Not particularly. The processing, refining and enhancing of poisons is something of an esoteric craft - not exactly common knowledge. But the application of said poison is just a matter of just not slipping and cutting yourself or accidentally inhaling your blowdart.

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:21 pm

Plus, the use of poisons is already effectively limited to people with Use Poison or a dex build.

Personally, I don't view the limitations on who can craft poisons as any more onerous than the limitations on who can craft thieves' tools or magical instruments.
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

Baseili

Post by Baseili » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:36 pm

I'd argue that poison making is hardly esoteric in comparison to say, alchemy, which only requires the modest investment of 25 crafting points to fully utilise and creates potions that allow access to the planes. By contrast, knowing which combinations of items will be toxic and cause what effects could be done by study (investing crafting points) whereas knowing how to handle such potent mixture, I imagine, would require slightly more care especially if the user is not an expert herbalist.

Baron, those items serve completely different uses. A more fitting comparison would be allowing only paladins, clerics and divine champions to craft divine or positive essences.

Durvayas
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Durvayas » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:01 pm

Baron Saturday wrote:To be specific, you now only need 1 level of Blackguard/Assassin, 11 monk, the Perfect Body epic feat, or the duergar, wild dwarf, or goblin subrace.

Previously the affected poisons were ONLY available to characters with 5 BG/Assassin.
I find it really odd the drow subrace isn't included, given their immense cultural proclivity to use poison(much moreso than duergar).
Plays: Durvayas(deleted), Marco(deleted), Hounynrae(NPC), Sinithra Auvry'ndal(rolled), Rauvlin Barrith(Active), Madeline Clavelle(Shelved)

flower

Post by flower » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:06 pm

From some unknown reason, Drow have the worst racials, crossbow and bolts (lol, restricted by class!) for crafting, so them being excluded from poisons is no surprise to me :D