Disarm and the stealing rule.

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

BegoneThoth

Disarm and the stealing rule.

Post by BegoneThoth » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:33 pm

Considering making a scythe disarm monster for my next character. But I have a concern with how disarm works with the thievery rule. Let me describe the situation.

1. I get in a fight with some jabroni.
2. Jabroni gets disarmed, then killed.
3. I pick up his +4 moonblade, which was at his feet, because I want it.
4. I pick up his corpse, which I need to move so it's not found, and his money automatically goes into my inventory.

Am I now in violation of the 1 item per day rule? If so, what should I do? Pulp the corpse w/o looting it? Or just leave the weapon on the ground wherever for someone else to find it? Can I just transfer the money they had on their corpse to their bank? Or should I just drop that amount of gold back on the ground after I pick up the corpse?
\

Nitro

Re: Disarm and the stealing rule.

Post by Nitro » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:24 am

Money on a corpse doesn't belong to anyone so far as I know. Not like that can be recovered by the person who died anyway unless one of their friends were the ones to loot it and transferred it back to them.

DM Always This Late

Post by DM Always This Late » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:34 am

The stealing of a blade would count as a theft against the player.

But the gold I would say is a seperate matter and not count as an item theft. The gold loss is a side affect of dying not your attempt at stealing, persay. Like the gold drops whether you wanted to kill him for it or not, so I wouldn't count that as a theft.
I loved and I loved and I lost you... And it hurt like hell.

PinataPlethora

Post by PinataPlethora » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:43 am

What if the aforementioned Jabroni is dual wielding, and drops both weapons? Would it be acceptable to pick up both weapons, or are you expected to leave one to get eaten by a reset?

Cybernet21

Post by Cybernet21 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:54 am

The rule is clear,one item so if the guy drops both you can only take one weapon.

Now if your character has a friend watching said friend could pick up the second weapon. (but it would be kinda lame if the friend only picked up to give it to your character,but it technically isnt agaisnt the rules)
My family were all knights,but none protected those who cannot fight for themselves.They all cared about their noble status more than anything else.I would be a true knight,i would train on the ways of the paladin -Arcavius Ryde

Tarkus the dog

Post by Tarkus the dog » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:31 am

you are looking at the wrong rule here.

the rule you want to explore further to get an answer for your question is the 'be nice' rule. should you ever indeed get yourself a moonblade longsword on your scythe disarm whatever character you should, at least in my humble opinion, think outside the box. what is more important? your ability to give the weapon to somebody else, since you being a two-hander user you probably won't be needing it, to turn it into money, to carry it around with you like a trophy or to potentially create more roleplay for the player that lost it in the first place and perhaps ( since you probably don't need the weapon ) return it to them?

I also recommend reading this topic: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=7891

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:04 am

PinataPlethora wrote:What if the aforementioned Jabroni is dual wielding, and drops both weapons? Would it be acceptable to pick up both weapons, or are you expected to leave one to get eaten by a reset?
I'd actually send the player a whisper about that. "Do you want me to take weapon 2 or just leave it in the grass." In the spirit of Be Nice. if I have it they can RP to get it back. If someone random picks it up or the server eats it, it's just gone.
\

Dreams

Post by Dreams » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:04 am

It's fine to take the gold and the moon blade. If they're dual-wielding, it might be a good idea to pick up both so they're not eaten by the cleanup script but also to let the other player know that you've got it for them. Maybe one of their companions could collect it for them? This has been discussed a bunch of times in the past, usually the answer is 'It's fine to do this, but use common sense and try to be nice about it'.

RP only starts at 30 if you're a coward.

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:28 am

Yeah I just mostly wanted to make sure I wouldn't get a talking to for taking someone's weapon and 'gold'
\

One Two Three Five

Post by One Two Three Five » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:04 am

I've always found that if my concept makes me think 'hey this isn't technically a rulebreak, right?' then it's probably a jerk move at best. Otherwise, yeah, what Tarkus said up there.
The devil does not need any more advocates
Clerics are just socially acceptable warlocks.

DM Always This Late

Post by DM Always This Late » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:18 am

As someone else mentioned, just be nice in whatever you do.

Yes you can take a blade that you disarm.
Yes you can collect the gold from the player.

I would avoid cluttering this thread with a debate on how tasteful disarming is or speculations about hypothetical situations.

Really easy, just try to be nice. If something comes up we can handle it case by case. Circumstance is always important.
I loved and I loved and I lost you... And it hurt like hell.

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:50 am

Make a brorog barbarian with improved disarm and RP as Gilgamesh.
:)

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:11 pm

was gonna do orog-kensai/thunder-terror-barb21/wm5/fight 4 and have 8 attacks while hasted, 5 at full bab.

and then just disarm spam with one wwa a round
\

One Two Three Five

Post by One Two Three Five » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:14 pm

7 you mean? Scythe gets 4 naturally, 1 kensai, 1 haste, 1 thunder. Terrifying rage doesn't give you another attack.
The devil does not need any more advocates
Clerics are just socially acceptable warlocks.

-XXX-

Post by -XXX- » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:18 pm

They can't disarm your weapons if you're not using any!

TimeAdept

Post by TimeAdept » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:36 pm

One Two Three Five wrote:7 you mean? Scythe gets 4 naturally, 1 kensai, 1 haste, 1 thunder. Terrifying rage doesn't give you another attack.
7 + WWA

Seven Sons of Sin

Post by Seven Sons of Sin » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:01 pm

You should use theft as an opportunity to roleplay. I think it'd be great if wounded/killed someone, disarmed them in the process, stole their prized weapon, and thus began either a rivalry, contract, story about them trying to re-obtain their weapon.

edit: unless you cheese PvP and are otherwise an un-fun individual.
Previous:
Oskarr of Procampur, Ro Irokon, Nahal Azyen, Nelehein Afsana (of Impiltur), Vencenti Medici, Nizram ali Balazdam, (Roznik) Naethandreil

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:43 pm

I was gonna sell them for exorbitant prices in a store unless the pc in question apologizes for their weakness to me
\

Cybernet21

Post by Cybernet21 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:59 am

I mean that is RP and could start a rivalry like the person who apologized to get the weapon back wanting to recover their honor/self-esteem after training,i dont think it is agaisnt the Be Nice Rule as long as it stays IC
My family were all knights,but none protected those who cannot fight for themselves.They all cared about their noble status more than anything else.I would be a true knight,i would train on the ways of the paladin -Arcavius Ryde