[EE] Easy way to play campaign with friends?

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Hydranis

[EE] Easy way to play campaign with friends?

Post by Hydranis » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:05 pm

On the Enhanced Edition, we've tried port forwarding and using Hamachi but we can't seem to get a game going. I remember not having any issues on the original game, but for some reason EE is giving us a hard time.

Has anyone done this easily and have a preferred method?

Also, any idea when the Arelith EE server will be updated so we could get on there as well?

Hunter548

Re: [EE] Easy way to play campaign with friends?

Post by Hunter548 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:07 pm

IIRC, you'll need to use hamachi or some other sort of virtual LAN service to make it easy. It's been years since I've tried this, though.
UilliamNebel wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:24 pm
You're right. Participating in the forums was a mistake. Won't do this again.
Anime Sword Fighter wrote: I have seen far too many miniskirt anime slave girls.

Hydranis

Post by Hydranis » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:22 pm

We already tried Hamachi and had no luck. I'm pretty sure we used EvolvE as well, but now they want $5 / month to use it, so that's out of the question.

Aelryn Bloodmoon
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Aelryn Bloodmoon » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:28 pm

Option 1: Turn off all your system security, firewalls included, and don't browse any internet pages while you play.

Option 2: Invite your friend over and run an etherenet cable between your computers for a real LAN instead of a VLAN.

^ Those are the best two pieces of advice I have for this, it's how I always played the OC with friends. If those aren't working along with the port-forwarding, then I'd suggest you contact Beamdog for technical assistance.
Bane's tyranny is known throughout the continent, and his is the image most seen as the face of evil.
-Faiths and Pantheons (c)2002

Iceborn

Post by Iceborn » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:08 am

Tunngle is a good option where Hamachi can fail. I recommend it.
Misc Changes, with the Feats and Skills sublinks.
Available races
Spell Changes
Class Mechanics
Command Guide

Take a look before asking your questions!

Hydranis

Post by Hydranis » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:38 pm

Unfortunately having him over my place isn't as easy as it would have been back in high school, haha. But we will give that Tunngle a shot, and I will send BeamDog an e-mail and see if they have any solutions.

Durundal

Post by Durundal » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:27 pm

If you can wait for the next patch, it will have NAT hole punching according to their Trello board, which is the modern networking solution that solves the port forwarding problems. After this, it should work like more modern games where you can just automagically join friends games and not have to care about port forwarding or setting up your network outside of just creating a game, and your friends joining.