Settlement elections

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Lost in the dark

Settlement elections

Post by Lost in the dark » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:16 pm

In real time how long do settlement elections last?

Anatida
General Admin
General Admin

Re: Settlement elections

Post by Anatida » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:20 pm

3 days

My pronouns are: She/Her/That *itch

Lost in the dark

Post by Lost in the dark » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:10 am

Thanks.... and does the old leader get added automatically or everyone has to actually put there names in?

DarkDreamer
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by DarkDreamer » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:16 am

You have to reapply.

Lost in the dark

Post by Lost in the dark » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:21 am

You guys are good. Cheers!

DarkDreamer
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by DarkDreamer » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:27 am

Np!

Dreams

Post by Dreams » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:37 am

Don't forget that you can make use of assassins if your character is inclined. I think assassination of a leader will trigger an election, and assassination of someone running in an election removes them from it?

RP only starts at 30 if you're a coward.

DM Atropos

Post by DM Atropos » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:14 am

The outgoing leader is automatically entered unless they are removed via assassination, yes.
What is woven will be.

TimeAdept

Post by TimeAdept » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:17 pm

That is not true. You need to specifically apply for it ahead of time at the registrar, which you can do as soon as you win the election. If you don't, your name will not show up.

WanderingPoet

Post by WanderingPoet » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:47 pm

Do you mean that once you win an election you can 'reapply' for the next election even if it is months later? I know in the case of Myon that Keryvian is in the current elections without having been online in nearly a month.

Maybe if its a challenge they are automatically entered, but if it is an expiry (like in Cordor) or if they step down then they are not?
Path_of_Play wrote:Fear, intimidation, anger - All these, the tyrant's tools.
Laughter, encouragement, play - not simply just for fools.
These tools reveal,
More is learned,
From another in an hour of play,
Than in a year of contention.

Sab1

Post by Sab1 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:39 am

Always hated the assassination removes you from running.

TimeAdept

Post by TimeAdept » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:43 am

WanderingPoet wrote:Do you mean that once you win an election you can 'reapply' for the next election even if it is months later? I know in the case of Myon that Keryvian is in the current elections without having been online in nearly a month.

Maybe if its a challenge they are automatically entered, but if it is an expiry (like in Cordor) or if they step down then they are not?
You can enter yourself for the next challenge as soon as you win the challenge that makes you leader, so the easiest thing to do is immediately enter your paperwork - then you're set to go from minute one, regardless of when the next challenge actually happens.... assassination notwithstanding.

If assassination ddin't stop you from running, it'd be completely worthless.

Sab1

Post by Sab1 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:48 am

The stop you from running is much to easy to turn cheesy, it should at least trigger a new election if a candidate is killed.

TheDoctor

Post by TheDoctor » Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:35 pm

Sab1 wrote:Always hated the assassination removes you from running.

Um.... So it should do what instead? Get you a box of nice hot cookies? No. Working as intended.

It takes time and effort to assassinate someone. In many cases if not all a DM is in the mix somewhere as well. So you are basically saying that you hate that if you get assassinated that you cant just simply immortal yourself back with zero consequences of just getting yer life taken.

DarkDreamer
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by DarkDreamer » Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:40 pm

Sab1 wrote:The stop you from running is much to easy to turn cheesy, it should at least trigger a new election if a candidate is killed.
Personally, I would really hate that, as the elections would NEVER end.

Sab1

Post by Sab1 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:05 pm

Well I am not sure how many candidates are actually assassinated anymore, but wharftown proved how this was a bad idea. Election starts, wait till most vote, then kill opponent thus being handed the election and everyone who voted wasted their time. I see no problem with leader being assassinated losing their position, but it always seemed like bad idea someone could just kill their opponent and be handed the election.

FYI a DM never has to be in the mix for an assassination. I am not really understanding what you are getting at Doctor.
Last edited by Sab1 on Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

TimeAdept

Post by TimeAdept » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:06 pm

Assassinations messing with elections seems like the entire intended thematic point of an assassination. If people are trying to murder you, take precautions: stay around trusted allies, don't wander in the wilderness alone, hire bodyguards, stay buffed, etc etc.

TheDoctor

Post by TheDoctor » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:45 pm

What timeadept said is 100% accurate.

Running for office and dont want to get ganked then take precautions. Working as intended.

You may not -like- it but that's life.

Sab1

Post by Sab1 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:40 am

Umm but that was the issue, the system was suppose to notify you that you were a target, and as a dm posted there was some very borderline behavior on this. Such as notifying person the target was here so place the bounty, contract being placed, assassin standing right by person and after the target got the message of a bounty being placed, ganking the person before they could react.

DarkDreamer
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by DarkDreamer » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:50 am

That is against the rules as it still requires RP, if that occurs, contact the DMs.

WanderingPoet

Post by WanderingPoet » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:16 am

I think what Sab1 is getting at is that you can have this scenario:
Election starts, Person A and Person B run
Person A gets 10 votes, Person B gets 8 votes
Person B has Person A assassinated a few hours before the election ends
Person A reenters, gets 1 vote because their supporters are not online in that hour, Person B gets 8 votes, wins

Causing the time to reset would mean Person A has a chance to win. Of course, it could be made that if Person A reenters then they automatically get their votes back, after all they were voted for!
Path_of_Play wrote:Fear, intimidation, anger - All these, the tyrant's tools.
Laughter, encouragement, play - not simply just for fools.
These tools reveal,
More is learned,
From another in an hour of play,
Than in a year of contention.

DarkDreamer
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by DarkDreamer » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:27 am

I wouldn't want that though, If your assassinated because player B hired and paid top gold to have you taken out of the way, then why should his RP get cut because you raised and rushed back to re-enter? Sorry, assassination RP needs to have some point to it, cause really at the moment...its the ONLY point really.

Black Wendigo

Post by Black Wendigo » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:33 am

I think you are trying to fix a system that isn't broke. If players are abusing said system then bring your evidence to DMs and show them what happened. If enough of the same abuse actually ha[[ens, then things will be changed.

Example of what I mean is the exile system. THe exile system came into being becuase players abused it whne they were exiled by RP.

So if you think players are actually abusing it and not just believing it cand be abused, then show your proof to the DMS. Odds are it's the players who are at fault not the system

Queen Titania
Community Manager
Community Manager

Post by Queen Titania » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:22 pm

I don't think you can mechanically re-enter the election after assassination. You certainly can't if you were assassinated before the election and were the current leader.

Even if you can, you probably shouldn't, and it's likely an oversight.
Please don't feed my sister.

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:05 pm

Sab1 wrote:Umm but that was the issue, the system was suppose to notify you that you were a target, and as a dm posted there was some very borderline behavior on this. Such as notifying person the target was here so place the bounty, contract being placed, assassin standing right by person and after the target got the message of a bounty being placed, ganking the person before they could react.
That is a rule break and is reportable.
:)