Bard or Rogue?

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

AllSeeingEye24

Bard or Rogue?

Post by AllSeeingEye24 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:32 pm

I am looking for some advice here and hope i can get some by making the right desicions.

I started a battle cleric for the first time and got my build planned out untill 30. The build will be a cleric 23, fighter 4 and rogue 3 to skill dump in UMD and Thumble.

Only thing I am wondering if it will make any difference to take bard instead of rogue. They both have UMD and Thumble as a class skill so I hope you guys can share your opinions about the matter.

Thanks in advance!

AsE

Harasha

Re: Bard or Rogue?

Post by Harasha » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:49 pm

If you are not taking fighter you need bard for discipline. That's why mages usually do that.

Since you are, it doesn't matter so much. Bard has a few nice crafting items. Rogue gets you a little sneak attack. If you have trickery domain you want rogue to dip into open lock and disable trap.

flower

Post by flower » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:01 pm

Rogue offers evasion which is awsome against low DC spells.

Tarkus the dog

Post by Tarkus the dog » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:09 pm

Bard offers discipline, taunt, spellcrafting and lore.

Rogue offers evasion, skill points and sneak attacks. You can also disable a trap easily on a rogue, while on a bard you'll need to recover some of them.

If you're playing a cleric the only real benefit you get from selecting bard is taunt, which on a STR cleric build is more often than not irrelevant considering how high of AB you can get. In that situation rogue is better.

EDIT: I typed relevant instead of irrelevant.

Teshil

Post by Teshil » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:50 pm

Rogue for evasion.

AllSeeingEye24

Post by AllSeeingEye24 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:34 pm

I suppose this is enough to work with. I care very little about traps and such and iit seems there is very little differrence between the two classes except evasion and lots of skill points from rogue, so I guess I will stick with the original build.

Thanks a lot!

Harasha

Post by Harasha » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:45 pm

Don't discount open locks and disable trap though. A few skill points and gear can do wonders. If you're trickery domain you can be quite capable while it's active.