How much Ride needed for using Horses

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Cybernet21

How much Ride needed for using Horses

Post by Cybernet21 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:02 pm

I think it's 6,but i'm not finding anywehere specifying it's 6.

And another question,does enchanted gear with Ride work for actually being able to use horses?

(Suffering since i'm a paladin and my build doesnt have space for Ride anymore ;-;)
My family were all knights,but none protected those who cannot fight for themselves.They all cared about their noble status more than anything else.I would be a true knight,i would train on the ways of the paladin -Arcavius Ryde

flower

Re: How much Ride needed for using Horses

Post by flower » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:18 pm

You will keep falling down with only 6 points in it all the time.

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:28 pm

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=15528

Amount unknown, so FOIG.
\

I_Am_King_Midas
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by I_Am_King_Midas » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:53 pm

This is not a very good FOIG in my opinion. People could base their character concept around the ability to ride horses and it would be nice to be able to know if this will work for them before spending the months to level. This is not a situation of "Character X is currently working on this plot"

Its the Mechanics of the game and its a number that our characters could never FOIG and would actually be wrong for them to discuss.

I think stating FOIG is not fitting when it is actually not permissible to discuss in-game.
Last character: Vahrix Amolyn

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:57 pm

The more ride you have, the better you'll be at riding a horse. However, the devs are not publishing every detail of the system, because they don't want people to game the system. If you dump a few points into Ride, you'll be pretty bad at riding. If you dump a lot of points into Ride, you'll be great at it. It scales exactly as you'd expect it to, but don't expect to be told a specific number at which you'll be perfect at riding and never fall off (especially since this varies depending on the type of horse you ride, what you're doing, and sometimes what race your character is, if I'm not mistaken).

Cybernet21

Post by Cybernet21 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:07 pm

I dont want to know the point where you can ride perfectly,i just wanted to know how much i need to just be able to use horses. But yeah,i understand why the exact number to never fall off is left unknown

EDIT:Nothing even happens when i click a horse,it just looks at me
My family were all knights,but none protected those who cannot fight for themselves.They all cared about their noble status more than anything else.I would be a true knight,i would train on the ways of the paladin -Arcavius Ryde

flower

Post by flower » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:10 pm

You must select a circle menu for riding, pick action to mount and target a horse.

Forget about re mounting when falling off, no dialogue can be triggered in combat and AI of horses tends to chargé hostiles even 3 screens away :D

TimeAdept

Post by TimeAdept » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:12 pm

Just forget about using Ride until the changes are actually finished so we know what works, what doesn't, and what will get reverted an hour later.

Cybernet21

Post by Cybernet21 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:14 pm

flower wrote:You must select a circle menu for riding, pick action to mount and target a horse.

Forget about re mounting when falling off, no dialogue can be triggered in combat and AI of horses tends to chargé hostiles even 3 screens away :D
Oh really?I totally misunderstood why i wasnt being able to ride (thought it was my -1 DEX mod :lol: ) sorry

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:05 pm

Jeloran wrote:This is not a very good FOIG in my opinion. People could base their character concept around the ability to ride horses and it would be nice to be able to know if this will work for them before spending the months to level. This is not a situation of "Character X is currently working on this plot"

Its the Mechanics of the game and its a number that our characters could never FOIG and would actually be wrong for them to discuss.

I think stating FOIG is not fitting when it is actually not permissible to discuss in-game.
I agree alas it's not up to me and neither the devs or dm team are willing to answer so I can only assume the amount of ride you need to not fall off a horse is FOIG
\

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:34 pm

Lorkas wrote:The more ride you have, the better you'll be at riding a horse. However, the devs are not publishing every detail of the system, because they don't want people to game the system.
The bolded part is what I find really silly. It's a system in a game, a P&P based game at that which at its base is all about managing stats.

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:00 pm

Me and many others have been asking for months with no info.

If anyone gets a reply please at least PM me so I can know too.
\

Cybernet21

Post by Cybernet21 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:51 pm

Alright guys,let's not derail the thread,if you want to send feedback on the team's decisions about riding post a thread on the Feedback section,my questions have already been answered here and IG so let's move on

I_Am_King_Midas
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by I_Am_King_Midas » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:17 am

Nitro wrote:
Lorkas wrote:The more ride you have, the better you'll be at riding a horse. However, the devs are not publishing every detail of the system, because they don't want people to game the system.
The bolded part is what I find really silly. It's a system in a game, a P&P based game at that which at its base is all about managing stats.
I completely agree. Imagine if I said I want to cast spells and someone said "More Intelligence is better" but wouldn't say what is required? That would be frustrating and would make it difficult for me to plan out my archmage build. We know how many other systems work and we use those tools to help create a great narrative and believable characters.

FOIG is not fitting when we are not allowed to talk about it in character.

Lets also be honest here. This will become knowledge that a few people possess and share with their friends. Once you know this, I bet you will use that knowledge when planning future characters. You likely wont put more in than necessary or less than needed making you unable to fulfill the vision you have for your character.

So the silence only punishes those who are new and those who are not connected.

Kirito

Post by Kirito » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:16 am

I completely agree. Imagine if I said I want to cast spells and someone said "More Intelligence is better" but wouldn't say what is required? .
Except the equivalent would be saying you need 19 INT to cast from every level, antimagic are bad for your mage. Equipment counts for the number of spells but not for how much INT you need to cast each spell level and if you want to be the best mage max your INT.

So you want to build an archmage... you know to max int
Building someone barely competent... int 19

I_Am_King_Midas
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by I_Am_King_Midas » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:37 pm

Kirito wrote:I completely agree. Imagine if I said I want to cast spells and someone said "More Intelligence is better" but wouldn't say what is required? .
Except the equivalent would be saying you need 19 INT to cast from every level, antimagic are bad for your mage. Equipment counts for the number of spells but not for how much INT you need to cast each spell level and if you want to be the best mage max your INT.

So you want to build an archmage... you know to max int
Building someone barely competent... int 19

Now what if you were wanting to make a quick priest who travels the roads and defends them? What if you were not told how much wisdom or levels of cleric you would need to get the haste spell?

That could be frustrating at the outset if you were told more that first level of cleric and less than 30th. You get better with more of them.

It would make it hard for new players who are not connected to know how to build out their holy priest of travel.

Without knowing how ride works new players could not know when they needed to take certain class levels or how to plan out their characters. Connected players will soon not have that problem. It's unfair to new players, Limits our ability to develop character concepts and does not fit FOIG as it would be against the server rules to actually discuss it IC.

Kirito

Post by Kirito » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:36 pm

Except haste spell is a fixed point. It's always a level 3 spell. It isn't a moving target based on your environment whereas ride requirements are. Consequently giving lower and upper bounds are the only workable solution to player builds.

You want to ride perfectly on any horse, in and out of combat? it's 33 ranks. You want to ride down a safe road with your friends on a nice docile horse? 6 ranks.

You want to ride a horse? 6 ranks, an elven horse? 15 ranks, with a dwarf? 20 ranks... who is mildly inehibriated? 22 ranks... in combat against a badger? 24 ranks, the badgers on fire? 26 ranks, you are fighting the badger in avernus? 33 ranks whilst being heavily encumbered with 3000lbs of coal ? 0 ranks... you broke the horses back...now you gotta walk.

Those aren't real numbers, but it is indicative of the aim.

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:13 pm

You want to ride a horse? 6 ranks, an elven horse? 15 ranks, with a dwarf? 20 ranks
Just something like this would be enough to be honest, because then at least you know what you're building your character towards.

flower

Post by flower » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:56 pm

Calling this foig is just a joke, really.

Skill points are not for free. If you want to ride, any non human must sacrifice something for it. Player should have right to see what he is getting for worse ab, dmg, fewer hps/saves.

Humans have better stance. Anything built on human vs same non human build hers mounted combat and 30 ride for free.

Let's say example. Horse X availeble to race Y has caps on combat bonuses. But because are inferior to other horses then require less skill points. But player has no idea bout this and is force to spend more points. Which he could use elsewhere.

I would be okay with that but why then spell sword gets chart with listed bonuses? Foig. Same all other.

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:30 pm

It's not that it's FOIG so much as that the repeatedly-given answer (the more ride you take, the better you will be at riding) is unsatisfying to people for some reason, even though it isn't much different from other similar questions.

How much Heal do you need? The more you take, the better.
How much Appraise do you need? The more you take, the better.
How much Bluff do you need? The more you take, the better.
How much Ride do you need? The more you take, the better.

No amount of Ride will make you perfect at it, and even 6 ranks in it will let you try to ride some horses, I understand. If you want to be great at riding, take full ranks. If you want to ride a pony to Bendir, take a few. If you want a medium point between those, take a medium amount.

WinkinBlinkin
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by WinkinBlinkin » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:42 pm

Can taking extra ranks make you faster, or is the horse the thing that determines the speed? Is there any point in taking ranks over 33, including equipment?

I have an idea for a horse racing type character, but it would be sheer folly to take, for example, epic skill focus ride, if the benefits capped out at 33.

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:55 pm

Lorkas wrote:It's not that it's FOIG so much as that the repeatedly-given answer (the more ride you take, the better you will be at riding) is unsatisfying to people for some reason, even though it isn't much different from other similar questions.

No amount of Ride will make you perfect at it, and even 6 ranks in it will let you try to ride some horses, I understand. If you want to be great at riding, take full ranks. If you want to ride a pony to Bendir, take a few. If you want a medium point between those, take a medium amount.
There are some known quantities in these though. If you just want enough heal to beat all the disease DC's you know how much that is, if you just want enough Bluff to bypass the slave collar, you know how much that is. Appraise doesn't have any stepped values that are more important, but horses do. If I make a human knight and just want to be able to use a human warhorse in combat, why would I ever invest more ride than necessary for that?

flower

Post by flower » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:35 pm

Lorkas wrote:It's not that it's FOIG so much as that the repeatedly-given answer (the more ride you take, the better you will be at riding) is unsatisfying to people for some reason, even though it isn't much different from other similar questions.

So why Spellsword and fighter are written their class bonuses while sklil riding is not to provide the very same numbers related to combat bonuses (in future) on horses, their speed and alike?

Kirito

Post by Kirito » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:37 pm

If I make a human knight and just want to be able to use a human warhorse in combat, why would I ever invest more ride than necessary for that?
Is that combat against badgers? Combat against orcs? Combat against dragons?

What about the number of ales you want to drink before riding into combat?

Where do you want to fight?

What about combat against torch wielding foes?

How much weight do you want to be able to carry?

Kirito

Post by Kirito » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:43 pm

flower wrote:Calling this foig is just a joke, really.
You're right, but for the wrong reason. It's not FOIG. Because no where will tell you and stress testing would take a crazy amount time to figure out all the equations.