Two accounts - two CD keys - two computers

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

legionetrangere

Two accounts - two CD keys - two computers

Post by legionetrangere » Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:54 pm

Howdy

As it is now: Two accounts - one cd key - one computer

What we will try to do: Two accounts - two cd keys - two computers

Basicly my question is: Is it possible to log with one account in both cd-keys? Sometimes i'll play on the laptop, sometimes he will, is it possible?
PayadorPerseguido

The_Queen~s_Rebuke

Re: Two accounts - two CD keys - two computers

Post by The_Queen~s_Rebuke » Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:27 pm

I don't quite understand what's being asked - You're saying that you and a friend have two accounts under the same CD key, but want to be able to play at the same time by getting a new CD key?

I think that'd be fine, you'd just need to talk to Dunshine to change the account you want changed from the old CD key to the new one.

But if you're also asking if you and your friend can play, with different CD keys, on the same account? Not sure if that's possible - but what you can do is also ask to have characters transferred to different accounts, so that you can both play the characters at the same time.
hållö hållö wəlcöme to mý cæv

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:43 pm

Each account is tied to a single CD key, so you can't swap back and forth between CD keys freely.

What you can do is change the CD key within the install folder depending on who is playing. The CD keys are stored in a file called "nwncdkey.ini" in the main NWN directory--all you'd need to do is copy and paste the desired CD keys into that text document before booting up NWN.

legionetrangere

Post by legionetrangere » Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:05 pm

The_Queen~s_Rebuke wrote:I don't quite understand what's being asked - You're saying that you and a friend have two accounts under the same CD key, but want to be able to play at the same time by getting a new CD key?

I think that'd be fine, you'd just need to talk to Dunshine to change the account you want changed from the old CD key to the new one.

But if you're also asking if you and your friend can play, with different CD keys, on the same account? Not sure if that's possible - but what you can do is also ask to have characters transferred to different accounts, so that you can both play the characters at the same time.
Its my brother, and we live on the same house, and we have two computers. lol

Thing is, we got a good computer that runs NWN smoothly, and a bad laptop that runs nwn badly.

I would enjoy being able to play sometimes on the good computer, and sometimes on the bad laptop.

Having one of us doomed to play only on the laptop nwn build is going to royally suck.
PayadorPerseguido

Seekeepeek

Post by Seekeepeek » Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:52 pm

Should be fine.... You can just play with 2 windows accounts on the same computer with two deferent cd keys if you want.

Improv

Post by Improv » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:36 pm

Can't you have two different installs on the same computer, each with different CD keys? I think I used to do that when playing on a server with its own haks so I had 1 hak free version for Arelith.

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:44 pm

I just want to pop in here and note - Sharing your CD key with anyone else is REALLY bad idea. I can't stress how bad an idea this is.

Because whilst our identification system doesn't go entirely off CD key, that's a big chunk of it. And anything he does can also fall back on you. So please, please, be careful when it comes to sharing your CD key.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

Queen Titania
Community Manager
Community Manager

Post by Queen Titania » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:09 pm

You might also want to try to diagnose the "bad laptop". Perhaps its something that can be fixed alleviating this situation entirely.
Please don't feed my sister.

Gods_Kill_People

Post by Gods_Kill_People » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:10 pm

Improv wrote:Can't you have two different installs on the same computer, each with different CD keys? I think I used to do that when playing on a server with its own haks so I had 1 hak free version for Arelith.
You very much can, I have two different loaders that run two different keys, one for this server and one for another.

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:53 pm

Here's how I would do this:

1) Buy another copy of NWN and get the new key from GOG
2) On both the laptop and the computer, have a nwncdkeyBROTHER1.ini and a nwncdkeyBROTHER2.ini in addition to nwncdkey.ini
3) Whichever brother is playing swaps out the numbers from their nwncdkeyBROTHER#.ini into the main nwncdkey.ini

It's a bit of a hassle, but if you can't get that laptop running better (although, seriously, what kind of toaster laptop can't run NWN?), that would be the safe way to go.
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:12 pm

DM Spyre wrote:
Seekeepeek wrote:Should be fine.... You can just play with 2 windows accounts on the same computer with two deferent cd keys if you want.
I would not do this recommendation at all. Multiboxing is not permitted on the sever - a player should be only playing one instance and one character at one time. We can detect this and will act on it.
Read again, he's not suggesting multiboxing. He's suggesting they have 2 windows accounts on the computer with separate NWN installs, so when they swap places, they swap windows account and use a different windows account together with a separate NWN install and CD key. One instance one character.

MalKalz
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by MalKalz » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:34 pm

Removed my above one. I also quoted the wrong message - two accounts on windows is fine. Using multiple loaders on one windows account with separate keys, where you can put two characters into the same sever should not be done.

Discord: @malkalz
Determine your Public CD Key here
Can't see your vault? Have you migrated your accounts? If you have tried, and still can't see them, message me.