Lost Desert and resting

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Cybernet21

Lost Desert and resting

Post by Cybernet21 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:35 am

I'm curious on why you cant rest while in any area of the lost desert,is it because of RP (wich i dont understand why if it is because we can rest/camp in places like Forest of Despair or Orclands for example) or is it because of the mechanics of the area(transitions being random)?

Because for classes like paladins that most of the times rely pn long term spells but that can be easily dispelled it kinda makes it a throwing of ressources like healing kits or portal lenses in the trash if you get unlucky and dispelled on the beginning of a adventure ;-;
My family were all knights,but none protected those who cannot fight for themselves.They all cared about their noble status more than anything else.I would be a true knight,i would train on the ways of the paladin -Arcavius Ryde

Miaou

Re: Lost Desert and resting

Post by Miaou » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:13 am

Deserts are usually harsh places with little place to rest. With roaming bandits, giant bugs that come from the ground, biting winds with sand that stings the skin, and far worse threats. This is all not mentioning how the sands themselves moving and shifting around constantly, bringing new threats. There are some places that offer a safe haven, and I would think one would try to find those places if they needed rest.

Cybernet21

Post by Cybernet21 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:18 am

Miaou wrote:Deserts are usually harsh places with little place to rest. With roaming bandits, giant bugs that come from the ground, biting winds with sand that stings the skin, and far worse threats. This is all not mentioning how the sands themselves moving and shifting around constantly, bringing new threats. There are some places that offer a safe haven, and I would think one would try to find those places if they needed rest.
Kinda makes sense,but then i ask why can we rest in places like the Orclands(in the same desert and full of orcs) or the Forest of Despair(the forest literaly doesnt want youthere) (not wanting to make resting impossible on those areas lol)?

Guess the Desert is a far harsher place than them i guess,maybe make some of the areas on the Lost Desert a place you can rest (like the areas who have a lot of stone hills where someone might take some sor of shelter to sit down and catch his/her breath) but i would totally understand if people like it the way it is as it kinda helps with immersion that you are in a dangerous place
My family were all knights,but none protected those who cannot fight for themselves.They all cared about their noble status more than anything else.I would be a true knight,i would train on the ways of the paladin -Arcavius Ryde

Miaou

Post by Miaou » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:23 am

The Lost Desert is constantly changing, and new threats come from anywhere. For the Orclands of the Forest of Despair, you can clear out an area and make it relatively safe to concentrate to give prayers, study your spellbook, or what have you. That's how I view it.

Dr_Hazard89

Post by Dr_Hazard89 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:13 am

It's supposed to be an ever-changing hellscape, like the abyss is. Resting anywhere would be suicidal, I assume.

There's actually a few spots you can find to rest at, if you're lucky to stumble upon them!
Characters: Xun'sali (ACTIVE), Tianae Tymeaneldth (Rolled), Sylali (Rolled), Magpie (Rolled), Ker'uanna Tymeaneldth (Rolled), Lepota Poklona (Rolled), Andariel Bloodletter (Shelved), Tahl'tril Cyredrretyn (Rolled), L'omithiel (Shelved).

flower

Post by flower » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:02 am

It would be awsome to see most locations marked as no resting allowed. Baator and Abbyss, and so on.

Hunter548

Post by Hunter548 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:04 pm

While marking them as no rest might make sense, it's worth noting that that's a fairly sizable nerf to builds that don't have infinite use abilities. Or, flip side, it makes pale masters, warlocks and weapon masters that much better compared to other classes.
UilliamNebel wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:24 pm
You're right. Participating in the forums was a mistake. Won't do this again.
Anime Sword Fighter wrote: I have seen far too many miniskirt anime slave girls.

flower

Post by flower » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:40 am

I travelled with my cleric across large space of epic areas where you cannot rest and we had been doing fine. It would teach us all value of spells

Diilicious

Post by Diilicious » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:32 pm

flower wrote:It would be awsome to see most locations marked as no resting allowed. Baator and Abbyss, and so on.
This would be the opposite of awesome, muh realism really needs to take a backseat to having fun.
Name: Shanna Waynolt nee Tahir
Height: 5'0"
Weight: 106lb
Hair & facial archetype: Ginnifer Goodwin
Body shape archetype: Example

flower

Post by flower » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:01 am

Overcoming challenge is fun. Getting casters in party burst out all magic causing havoc on foes and resting every 5 mins or doors to restore spells is neither, fun or challenge.

Cybernet21

Post by Cybernet21 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:42 am

flower wrote:Overcoming challenge is fun. Getting casters in party burst out all magic causing havoc on foes and resting every 5 mins or doors to restore spells is neither, fun or challenge.
I mean from my experince no one does that,at every 5 ticks or so the mages i partied up with throughout my time on the server rested,so every 30 min.

Now that i've been through the lost desert a few time i get it,it's a fun experience from time to time but not being able to rest anywhere except would be kinda annoying,and wouldnt make sense RP wise why cant the characters camp in a perfectly fine forest? In the lost desert i understood it now,but on all places...nah maybe in a few like baator