Warlock Summons

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Aren
Contributor
Contributor

Warlock Summons

Post by Aren » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:10 pm

I'm not sure this is the right place to post this - it's technically a question I guess.

Is it on purpose that Devils (almost) objectively are better summons than Demons? Crunching numbers, looking at the wiki, the regeneration on Devils is just too good compared to the, in my humble opinion, minor advantages that Demons have. It gives a warlock heavy incentive to play infernal pacted instead of abyssal pacted.

Do you agree? If not, then why not? Please discuss. :-)

".. the other number that isn't 18." - Jack Oat
".. but- someone is still pumping the brakes sometimes, right? ...right?" - Batcountry

Baron Saturday

Re: Warlock Summons

Post by Baron Saturday » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:18 pm

5 regen is really not that powerful when upper-level enemies hit for 50+ damage pretty regularly. I would actually argue that the demon line is stronger, especially the Balor Lord. 25% physical DI combined with a biteback that does 1d8+10 fire and 1d6 STR damage? That's insanely good.
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

Wytchee
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Wytchee » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:34 pm

Simple solution: play a fey lock.
Current character: Abigail Duskwood

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:35 pm

I know some warlocks who tested the new summons after they came out, and the Balor beat the pit fiend in every fight. On farming trips to dangerous areas the Balor needed to be re-summoned more often however, so I'd say the balance between longevity and burst is pretty well handled.

Aren
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Aren » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:45 am

Hey guys, thanks for participating in the discussion. I agree that the Balor may very well be in a good place. But one thing that strikes me is that you only talk about the Balor.

What about the Vrock and the Glabrezu? The Vrocks acid spore cloud is just a plain waste of an action and often makes it stand idly for a round, compared to the Osyluths fear aura that is always up. The Glabrezu have a little more cleave and bigger crits, but no fear aura and regeneration like the Gelugon. Hmm. Do you think this a good trade off? :-)

".. the other number that isn't 18." - Jack Oat
".. but- someone is still pumping the brakes sometimes, right? ...right?" - Batcountry

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:44 pm

Vrock also has SR 32, which is fantastic, because the easiest counter to these summons is a dismissal/banishment from an item. SR 32 makes the vrock very resistant to this.

The glabrezu's overwhelming crit is quite good when you consider that it has a 16-20 threat and a x3 multiplier. On the defensive side, improved invisibility is really nice.
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

FoxyPigeon

Post by FoxyPigeon » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:40 pm

Gelugon lacks imp. invis which both glebrezu and the yugloth have which really lessens it's survivability, and it also tends to cone of cold piles of loot quite often. Idk, I think all of them have varied strengths and weaknesses.