A Question Regarding Totem Druids and Talking Animals

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

ExperimentAlpha

A Question Regarding Totem Druids and Talking Animals

Post by ExperimentAlpha » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:19 am

It is my understanding that there has been a general status of looking down upon totem Druids which talk in animal form. Does this also apply to animal forms which, by some quirk of biology, also have the ability to speak? For example, ravens and parrots are very well known for being able to talk to their owners. Would such circumstances be an exception to this rule?

Dr_Hazard89

Re: A Question Regarding Totem Druids and Talking Animals

Post by Dr_Hazard89 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:22 am

I think that should be fine!
Last edited by Dr_Hazard89 on Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Characters: Xun'sali (ACTIVE), Tianae Tymeaneldth (Rolled), Sylali (Rolled), Magpie (Rolled), Ker'uanna Tymeaneldth (Rolled), Lepota Poklona (Rolled), Andariel Bloodletter (Shelved), Tahl'tril Cyredrretyn (Rolled), L'omithiel (Shelved).

ExperimentAlpha

Post by ExperimentAlpha » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:24 am

I would, too, but clarification is always useful, and the word of a DM is worth its weight in anti-osmium.

hoshi

Post by hoshi » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:58 am

If you want to go with how it works in the game it is based on, both in Masters of the Wild (3.0) and in the 3.5 SRD you have:
A druid loses her ability to speak while in animal form because she is limited to the sounds that a normal, untrained animal can make, but she can communicate normally with other animals of the same general grouping as her new form. (The normal sound a wild parrot makes is a squawk, so changing to this form does not permit speech.)
There wasn't a DM that weighed in on this last time this question was brought up.

Personally I don't really care what others do, though I wouldn't have my own PC speak in common as I found it more enjoyable to communicate with emotes for short bits of conversation like mid dungeon while switching back to humanoid form if my character had a lot to say back in town or whatever.

Even if the DMs do weigh in that it is all cool, you're still probably going to have people who dislike it. Sort of like how it is within the rules to have your character decked out in 63 black, but some people are going to roll their eyes when they see it.

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:26 am

Spoke to a DM Grumpycat about this a month or so. They said there were no rules against talking while polymorphed. So chat away.

I don't know if it's polite or not polite to post verbose PM quotes, so I won't at this time, but it's in my pm inbox.
\

Dreams

Post by Dreams » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:58 am

Recently it was ruled that they should not do this.

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=15670

Sab1

Post by Sab1 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:50 pm

Also I think there is a difference between a parrot or Raven knowing some words and being able to carry on an intelligent conversation

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:26 pm

Ah I see. It appears the ruling was changed in the last 30 days from when I asked a question.

But for me that makes it difficult. As a wild mage I change randomly. However despite being in other forms I can still cast spells.

How do I rp being able to cast as a dog in draconic but not able to speak common? Can I get some rp tips? Or can I speak draconic in animal forms as my character avatar does?
\

rookie

Post by rookie » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:52 pm

Druid forms and wild mage forms may not be equivalent. If you're still able to complete the verbal and somatic components of spells as a wild mage you're more of a magical form that looks like a dog/chicken/whatever than an actual animal. That or it is an illusion.

chris a gogo

Post by chris a gogo » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:54 pm

It's all a farce really worgs can speak and they are just intelligent wolves.

This is a magical fantasy land with elves and goblins so for me it's not immersion breaking to see a druid talking when shifted.
Would prefer they ham it up with whining and growls and that but otherwise it's a non issue.

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:57 pm

rookie wrote:Druid forms and wild mage forms may not be equivalent. If you're still able to complete the verbal and somatic components of spells as a wild mage you're more of a magical form that looks like a dog/chicken/whatever than an actual animal. That or it is an illusion.
I just don't want to be accused of illegal roleplay because I typed some stuff while warding and hit enter after accidently turning I to a dog or wolf.

Like I said I asked the DM's very recently and was told it was OK, but now it's not? Need clarification.

Additionally sometimes when I get an animal form I'm not given the ability to speak animal language. Am I just to be mute until the effect wears off in this situation?
\

rookie

Post by rookie » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:07 pm

I think you're overthinking this. There is also a big difference between what you're describing and standing in front of a gathering of people as a wolf saying "Friends, Romans, countrymen lend me your ears..."

Also you can just *emote* things while in common language. Maybe I'm the one of the few that enjoys games like Charades but I see being shifted into a critter as a fun chance to try to convey things without using words.

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:14 pm

The jist is this.

If you want to talk common whlst in animal shape? You can. Nothing wrong with it. Nothing against the rules.

However, it's often seen as a little lazy and may have a slight effect upon your rpr. Not to say we'd neccesarly drop someone's rpr over it, but I wouldn't think very highly of someone who was just talking in common whilst being an animal. Using emotes, animal language, or just being more creative will own you far more RPR kudos than just speaking common like normal.

But that's really all there is to it.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:37 pm

Ah! OK, ty!
\

Seven Sons of Sin

Post by Seven Sons of Sin » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:57 pm

Can this rule be added to the Annoucements thread or something? Like where is it officially?
Previous:
Oskarr of Procampur, Ro Irokon, Nahal Azyen, Nelehein Afsana (of Impiltur), Vencenti Medici, Nizram ali Balazdam, (Roznik) Naethandreil

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:05 pm

If you want to talk common whlst in animal shape? You can. Nothing wrong with it. Nothing against the rules.
Nothing against the rules.
It's just a suggestion to adhere to if you want your RPR to rise, like not referring to yourself as gandalf the white, or claiming to be a time traveler from New York.

Sab1

Post by Sab1 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:32 pm

rookie wrote:Druid forms and wild mage forms may not be equivalent. If you're still able to complete the verbal and somatic components of spells as a wild mage you're more of a magical form that looks like a dog/chicken/whatever than an actual animal. That or it is an illusion.
Exactly, for mages I think it's more of just looking like a dog? The druid becomes a wolf etc..

Dr_Hazard89

Post by Dr_Hazard89 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:17 am

Wait, you can cast in other forms as a wild-mage? How the heck are you doing that? When I turn into a cow or a doggo I certainly can not cast. If I have some spells queued up to be cast, they'll go off, but that's it.
Characters: Xun'sali (ACTIVE), Tianae Tymeaneldth (Rolled), Sylali (Rolled), Magpie (Rolled), Ker'uanna Tymeaneldth (Rolled), Lepota Poklona (Rolled), Andariel Bloodletter (Shelved), Tahl'tril Cyredrretyn (Rolled), L'omithiel (Shelved).

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:18 am

Yeah, if they're in the queue, they keep casting. I click fast, and sometimes get a dozen or so spells off as a cow.
\

DarkDreamer
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by DarkDreamer » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:21 am

Druids do not get that luxury, so count your blessings, once transformed, we cant cast.

Wytchee
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Wytchee » Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:03 am

If I wanted to roleplay with talking animals I'd go play Second Life with my furry friends. >.>
Current character: Abigail Duskwood

Improv

Post by Improv » Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:22 am

Parrots are only able to repeat the most embarrassing things they hear humans say and nothing more. I know this from TV.

Wytchee
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Wytchee » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:29 am

Just saw a totem animal who shall remain nameless speak common while in animal form.

Local news reported my eye roll as having registered 2.1 on the Richter Scale.
Current character: Abigail Duskwood

DarkDreamer
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by DarkDreamer » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:33 am

Well maybe ask them why them why, maybe there's a reason?

Improv

Post by Improv » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:37 am

C'mon, don't complain about a specific player's RP on the forum and don't be condescending.

Maybe the forgot to type -an, maybe they're new, maybe they have a reason they think it's okay, maybe they don't read the forums to know the way the wind blows on the subject. Just because something like that is a pet peeve to you doesn't mean someone else has the same awareness or priority. Send a friendly tell with your opinion and lead by example.