Is there a point to corpse bashing?

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Re: Is there a point to corpse bashing?

Post by The GrumpyCat » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:58 pm

Also is why cleric has full ressurection spell in spellbook. To be used in combat to bring back fallen.
Sure. It's really useful in PvE, leap right back into combat with the monsters as much as you want.

And heck, you can always rase someone (or be raised) so that they/you flee.

But in most cases leaping right back into PvP after any sort of raise- unless of course you've permission from your attackers, is a breach of the PvP rule.

And I'll remind everyone - this thread started out as a complaint against corpse bashing. Behavior like being raised mid pvp, and leaping right back into it only encourages that.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:04 pm

It's not like resurrections arnt a resource. Either you scroll it which costs a lot of piety and is limited, or burn an expensive book.

Would like to see this looked at for a group pvp standpoint.
\

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:13 pm

So if you kill another pc, but fail to pick up their corpse, if they get taken away and raised- within what time period is it OK for them to try and kill you again?

Can it only be 'whilst people are still clicking and hitting each other?' Can it be 'in the pause after when they think most people are dead?' Can it be 'When they're on their way home?'

It's a really fuzzy area- the current rules make things nice and streight forward and simple.

Further more, a lot of the recent death changes have been done with the idea of making death more serious. And Death in pvp should be serious! Anything that can work to mitigate the seriouness of being killed in PvP is, in my opinion, a Bad thing.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:14 pm

I meant only in the context of "I cast resurrection on my pal during the fight so he could get back up."

I would say it's only allowed if the fight is actually still happening. Which Resurrection is perfect for and Raise Dead is not.
\

Aelryn Bloodmoon
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Aelryn Bloodmoon » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:20 pm

While I agree that in NWN resurrection is slated as an instant PvP get up spell, and I feel that clerics should be able to use it until there is a clear statement somewhere on the server that you can't use the spell for such things during PvP, I feel the need to point out;

The spell was never meant to be used that way in combat. If you look at its PnP equivalent (and ALL spells that raise someone from -10 dead), it has a casting time of 10 minutes. That's not meant to be used in combat at all.

Raise dead has a casting time of 1 minute; maybe someone who died to a PvP death could trigger a timer on the raise dead spell; then if your healer is willing to cast for a minute straight in the PvP, and the person doesn't immediately die (they come back at 1 hp) it could be okay.

Otherwise, I'm fine with this the way it is.
Bane's tyranny is known throughout the continent, and his is the image most seen as the face of evil.
-Faiths and Pantheons (c)2002

flower

Post by flower » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:54 pm

There is currently no difference between raise and ressurection spells in death systém, but the price and piety cost...and that is a big shame.

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:04 pm

The health restoration?
\

flower

Post by flower » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:24 pm

BegoneThoth wrote:The health restoration?

Why shoud this be that huge advantage when raise dead is cheaper to obtain (in term of items), only 5th circle?

I barely see it used, and if any, it is almost always from some looted item.

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:37 pm

In pvp it would be great if it could be used. Pve it's good if someone dies and a fight is still happening.
\

Improv

Post by Improv » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:53 pm

Well not every spell and ability from the base game is going to find use in this specific persistent world with its own playstyle and house rules.

I do think there is a case for combat rezzing in PVP as a legitimate tactic (maybe if the spell took a few rounds to cast instead of 1 so the cleric doing it would be vulnerable) but it's not a cause I'd fight for.

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:59 am

My intuition (for whatever a non-DM's intuition is worth) is that it would be okay for a healer cleric to use resurrection in PvP before the character dies to give another character a lifeline. Since such characters never go to the Fugue, in my mind they are not "dead", but maybe a DM could chime in on that one.

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:55 am

Yep, you can use it before the character dies, that's no problem.
This too shall pass.