Nametags

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

malice

Nametags

Post by malice » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:07 pm

I know it may be a silly question.... but name tags on placeables are to be considered totally ooc or they do identify with a name written somewhere an item IC too?

Example.... if I see a STATUE OF A VERY EBIL DEITY [John Doe], I can relate IC the statue to John Doe or that's a completely OOC mechanical info?

Dr_Hazard89

Re: Nametags

Post by Dr_Hazard89 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:34 pm

OOC
Characters: Xun'sali (ACTIVE), Tianae Tymeaneldth (Rolled), Sylali (Rolled), Magpie (Rolled), Ker'uanna Tymeaneldth (Rolled), Lepota Poklona (Rolled), Andariel Bloodletter (Shelved), Tahl'tril Cyredrretyn (Rolled), L'omithiel (Shelved).

Astral

Post by Astral » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:12 am

They are ooc but players sometimes put them intentionally so the other player has at least an idea who made them for further RP opportunities. Still, its entirely ooc.
Currently playing: Seth Xylo

SteelsSweets
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by SteelsSweets » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:04 pm

Personal pet peeve of mine, honestly.

I would suggest signing the piece in the description, if you want to be known.

WYSIWYG sometimes I'll RP knowing something was made in the style of someone if I know the person in the tag... just to try and keep my sanity over it.

Suggestion: Once you are done with it and got it all made up how you like, please please remove the name.
Discord: SteelsSweets#4815

Tryn Dralar

Post by Tryn Dralar » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:49 am

SteelsSweets wrote:Personal pet peeve of mine, honestly.

I would suggest signing the piece in the description, if you want to be known.

WYSIWYG sometimes I'll RP knowing something was made in the style of someone if I know the person in the tag... just to try and keep my sanity over it.

Suggestion: Once you are done with it and got it all made up how you like, please please remove the name.
Thought I was the only one that it bothered,lol. Also wish everyone would not just name the item like a barrel, "Barrel" but give the darn thing a description also. I don't mind the faction names, but character names just put me off.

I've always used the names as ooc info while faction names as maybe knowing it looks like their stuff if I am familiar with them ig.

Scimiter

Post by Scimiter » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:16 am

If its not in the description its OOC to me. Though I too play it as known if my guy knows the maker's style from RP with them

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:16 pm

WYSIWYG, if you don't want your name affixed to a peaceable, remove it.

Ignoring parts of the item name simply doesn't work as many statues are titled things like "Statue of Lolth [Name]" And then have no description at all aside from the "fixture objects etc" default one. If we have to treat item names as OOC, then such objects could only be described as a shapeless mass that has no form.

Of course that's utterly absurd, and since OOC is all but forbidden, we don't do it. In that way I treat name tags as artist markings IC. If you don't want your name affixed, remove it.
\

TimeAdept

Post by TimeAdept » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:16 pm

The tags are part of an OOC mechanical system to allow people to make edits to the item. I could affix [Jadoth Dawnfire] to an item. It would allow him to edit it, but it wouldn't mean I've somehow made him the artist of the item - I still did that myself. In this way, it can't be IC.

Rwby

Post by Rwby » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:27 pm

TimeAdept wrote:The tags are part of an OOC mechanical system to allow people to make edits to the item. I could affix [Jadoth Dawnfire] to an item. It would allow him to edit it, but it wouldn't mean I've somehow made him the artist of the item - I still did that myself. In this way, it can't be IC.
This is very important. If I make a statue of Cyric for my Bro, Dave, and name it 'Statue of Cyric [Dave]' so he can tinker with the description, it would be very strange for everyone to suddenly assume it was made in the style of Dave.

Further more that tag is very important for being able to continue to edit fixtures, half finished projects for example, without repeatedly renchanting and potentially blowing them up, remember fixtures 'Forget' who made them.

It's also an exceptionally useful OOC note for anyone wishing to meddle with ritual circles, curses, traps, and so forth, allowing you to go -
Tell - Hey Dave, I've found this cool ritual circle in the Shadow Plane, and I'd like to do X to it, what might happen?

Or even just honest to god compliments. [Who, Nice Fixture Dave!]

DM Rakshasa

Post by DM Rakshasa » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:52 pm

The tags are OOC information. In fact, once upon a time on Arelith, there was no way to actually remove those tags on items. Some of the old, old, old fixtures still have names affixed to them in this manner.
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:37 am

WYSIWYG, haha. I see your name above your head and it says (disguised) WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO HIDE?