Spellsword Questions

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

homestuff

Spellsword Questions

Post by homestuff » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:53 pm

1) Monk interactions
on the Wiki page for the spellsword, unter notes it states
http://wiki.arelith.com/Spellsword#Notes wrote:The APR will replace the natural attack progression and will not stack in any way with the monk progression.
I'm not quite sure what this means?

(aka does this slow down the amount of attacks a monk gets?)

2) Can spellswords imbue ranged weapons or ammo, bows ect?
(Spellsword arcane archer a thing?)

Kirito

Re: Spellsword Questions

Post by Kirito » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:01 pm

1. Yes
2. No

Rivace_Silver

Post by Rivace_Silver » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:26 am

What is the opinion of the masses for the top two spell foci to take for spellswords, and is there one worth taking to epic?

I'm think enchanting may be very nice since it appears to be the only one that doesn't lose any benefit from being a spellsword, e.g. Dc's and basin usage. And bonus because now the Runic enchanting has been switched to language based... here we go learnin all the languages!
Last edited by Rivace_Silver on Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
-That one time that Stath did that one thing and it was funny...

-We cannot all be the hero, some have to be the normal folk who make others heros..

- we are all the protagonist of our own stories.

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:21 am

Transmutation seems pretty useful now, with the bonuses to the zoo buffs, and Abjuration is a given for protection against missile storms.

Ozzy.nl

Post by Ozzy.nl » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:14 am

Yeah transmutations seems usefull enough that i am still concidering releveling from level 16 to 3

Dreams

Post by Dreams » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:21 am

Does Flurry of Blows work for a Spellsword/Monk wielding a kama? I would assume it's the base spellsword attacks +1?

Wytchee
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Wytchee » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:07 pm

Spellswords can take Epic Spell Foci, they just can't use the epic spells associated with them, correct?

So the +2 bonus to zoo spells, or the enchantment basin bonus, are all free game?
Current character: Abigail Duskwood

Ozzy.nl

Post by Ozzy.nl » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:36 pm

From what i know yes the epic enchantment stuff is still free gain same for teansmutation. But Kirito will always be waving the experimental path clause.

As for the monk flurry stuff.... No

Astral

Post by Astral » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:16 pm

Wytchee wrote:Spellswords can take Epic Spell Foci, they just can't use the epic spells associated with them, correct?

So the +2 bonus to zoo spells, or the enchantment basin bonus, are all free game?
Yes. Possibly the lvl 21 -teleport you get from GFS transmutation too, since it's no longer an epic spell I think. Not sure about that but there's a higher -teleport tier now so it make sense that spellswords would be able to use the subpar one.
Currently playing: Seth Xylo

Rivace_Silver

Post by Rivace_Silver » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:38 pm

Spellswords do not have access to -any- consol command magic. Doesn't matter what the source is, greater spell focus or epic. Those like -teleport are considered to be special skills reserved for pure caster classes, Druid cleric sorcerer wizard. The spellsword gimped her magic ability by not focusing fully on magic but an equal amount of time on magic and martial ability. That's why it doesn't make sense to me for them to be able to use -teleport. She's not delving that deep into the intricacies of magic.

But can they make golems? Golem craft is not 100% raw magic ability and there are components of magic imbued items that aid in the creation so that sounds reasonable to me. They are henchmen not summons.

-We cannot all be the hero, some have to be the normal folk who make others heros..

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:41 am

Not quite right.
yellowcateyes wrote:At the moment, Spellswords can make use of the GSF -teleport but not the ESF -teleport create.
With the change to -teleport only requiring 21 levels and GSF spellswords can currently make use of it.

Also makes perfect sense to me that a spellsword can use -teleport if a ranger, paladin or bard can. Or even a 3 level dump of any spellcaster class.

Improv

Post by Improv » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:39 am

Rivace_Silver wrote:Spellswords do not have access to -any- consol command magic.
I don't think "console command magic" was ever intended to be the line in the sand, that seems really arbitrary. It's epic magic feats and spells that they are cut off from barring Epic Mage Armor (and indirectly, the boons from epic enchantment, which seem right up their alley anyway.)

GSF Teleport should be usable, not being an ability that requires epic casting feats. At least I hope it is usable and stays usable.

Rivace_Silver

Post by Rivace_Silver » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:26 am

Improv wrote:
Rivace_Silver wrote:Spellswords do not have access to -any- consol command magic.
I don't think "console command magic" was ever intended to be the line in the sand, that seems really arbitrary. It's epic magic feats and spells that they are cut off from barring Epic Mage Armor (and indirectly, the boons from epic enchantment, which seem right up their alley anyway.)

GSF Teleport should be usable, not being an ability that requires epic casting feats. At least I hope it is usable and stays usable.

I was perfectly willing to accept that we couldn't use it ... here's to getting my hopes up!!