Warlock feylock rp tips

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Ozzy.nl

Warlock feylock rp tips

Post by Ozzy.nl » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:29 pm

Heya folks,

I have been pondering about playing a side char, and for the fun i want a warlock fey or fiend pact.

But i am having a hard time finding some insperation about playing the class. And i dont want to make mistakes with it or come across as not doing research.

My aim was a fiendlock btw unless rp wise fey could be more fun. So if anyone has some tips and source matirial id be happy.

Queen Titania
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Warlock feylock rp tips

Post by Queen Titania » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:55 pm

Tips for those wishing to be fiend warlocks (Or those who wish to risk the Summer Court's Ire and pact with the Winter Court)

1: What did your pact involve? What did they want from you, what do you want from them?

What you want is easy, the power you got from them, and maybe something else. But what did they want? Make it matter. Make it big. Make it be something that makes someone uncomfortable to think about.

You hate your youngest sister. Your parents spoiled her with all the love ever since she was born and don't pay attention to you anymore. You wander in the forest one night having enough and come across an unknown creature. You get in a conversation with a creature and express your desire for power so your parents notice you again. The creature takes it one step further, offering to away your sister and any other daughter ever born to your family line. In your selfishness, you thin, why not? You come home with your new powers and your parents are sobbing. Your sister was taken away by some winged devil/demon/fairy from right under their noises, leaving only a hint of ash/fairy dust in their wake.

You're probably playing a heartless person, but this is one example. It's important for the concept whatever it is to be distinctly non-good, so adding an element you give up that fits it might work quite well. Better yet, perhaps your debt is still unpaid, and they will come for you later, or as you grow with more and more power, your patron or benefactor visits and demands you do something wicked, thus, driving your motivations on Arelith.

2: How open are you going to be about your powers? Will you fear persecution? Regret your powers? Never use them except in emergencies?

You don't have to play a secret warlock. Maybe you could care less what other people think. Maybe you're worried about witch hunters. Maybe you regret losing your youngest sister, and dooming all your future family line's daughters to captivity. Or maybe you never even use the warlock powers except in life and death situations, shocking your party in those moments, where you explain quickly and pray they keep it to themselves, or don't comprehend what was going on.

3: Pleasing the Benefactor (Or not)

Another good thing to think about is how is your relationship with your pacter? Do you cause chaos for them? Do you corrupt other people for them, driving others to pacts with them? Or do you shun them entirely, risking consequence?

4: The usual character goals.

Lastly, tie all of this in to a normal character's drives and goals. Perhaps your character wishes to be a politician. Your character can't be an open warlock and expect to rise in power easily, so they never use their powers save emergencies. And even in these emergencies perhaps they choose to leave their party to die rather than save them, knowing the dead can't vote. Or maybe you're playing a trader, who is more open about their powers as a way to limit clients who share mutual interests, or knows that your customers respect your goods enough not to care.

In Conclusion, I don't think you really need to "research" any lore! I think just filling in these facets of your character will get you going enough.
Please don't feed my sister.

Sab1

Post by Sab1 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:03 pm

I think this is one big thing that's overlooked with warlock players, many simply take it without a lot of thought and depth into the why and cost. The best locks I have seen are the ones who really expand on it, some are pretty tragic. I loved the elf who was a black archer, and decided to make a pact in order to go below and kill as many drow as he could. He knew he doomed himself, but he was willing to sacrifice himself in order to help all elves.

One thing with Locks I always will disagree with is the I can go against what they want and not lose powers. Always wondered if I am not abiding by the pact or their desires why are they still giving me their powers?

Seven Sons of Sin

Post by Seven Sons of Sin » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:34 pm

It's one thing to be a zealot. It's one thing to be a wizard or a paladin. It's one thing to be a blackguard.

But a warlock? Making a contract with a something so raw and horrible and evil?

The question I've always had - is who in their right mind does this?

And don't answer the contract was made in duress. That's such a cop out and people should burn for it.

Edit: also, so is "for the greater good." You're not murdering an oppressive tyrant or a corrupt official or sabotaging something for the public - you're offering up something to an evil outsider in exchange for powers of said outsider. It's like a parasitical/symbiotic relationship of the worst kind.
Previous:
Oskarr of Procampur, Ro Irokon, Nahal Azyen, Nelehein Afsana (of Impiltur), Vencenti Medici, Nizram ali Balazdam, (Roznik) Naethandreil

Improv

Post by Improv » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:58 pm

The question of "why" doesn't seem so difficult. Lots of depressed, angry, lonely, whatever people especially if young and unwise could take a pact for the immediate gratification without care of the long term repercussions. There's plenty of analogies for that in the real world.

Warlocks aren't clerics so obedience to their pact-givers isn't quite as obligatory as a worshipper to a deity. I think in most cases a warlock pact is a long con. The warlock may think they're ahead but the powers giver always wins in the end. I would keep that in mind with warlock RP myself, you may have a fair amount of autonomy but in the end you will, perhaps unwittingly, end up a pawn in the pact-givers greater schemes.

Sab1

Post by Sab1 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:27 pm

The reasoning for the black archer was why not use the power of evil to destroy evil. As for what you offer up, maybe your soul, sacrifice yourself. As he went infernal since drow are abyssal inclined, it could of been as simple as go out and destroy my abbysal enemies etc.. Not every pact has to be sacrificing 100 people every month.

Why would people willingly become a lich, spending an eternity as an undead? When people seek power they don't always think things out, they want the power. They want to inflct pain on those they feel have wronged them etc. maybe jealousy. As improve said, most people don't think about long term, I might not die for another 50 years, that's forever I'll deal with that later.

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:36 pm

The Winter Court is also just that, a social court. They do more then plot for murder, there is a level of day-to-day activity that has to take place for such a thing to function.

Your fey-pact character could be just that, an officer of the court. Perhaps you're the a messenger of your courtly patron, or are tasked with doing some other seemingly mundane, but nearly incomprehensible for any for anyone not attuned to the court, activity.

I think there's a good angle there for someone that didn't pact themselves over some emotional high/low point, but rather did it because, in their view, it's a really good job that has a lot of perks.
\

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:50 pm

Seven Sons of Sin wrote:The question I've always had - is who in their right mind does this?

And don't answer the contract was made in duress. That's such a cop out and people should burn for it.
The wiki actually specifically states the admin position that "accidental" or "forced" warlock pacts are not okay. The warlock, for whatever reason, willingly chose to pact. This fact really needs more exposure.
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

gilescorey

Post by gilescorey » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:25 pm

Seven Sons of Sin wrote:The question I've always had - is who in their right mind does this?
An adventurer, which sort of disregards the "right mind" bit there by virtue of itself.

One Two Three Five

Post by One Two Three Five » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:18 am

(Hypothetical/"Promised") Unlimited power is a hell of a drug. Especially in a setting with stuff like this:
Who in their right mind would want to be a commoner when a worm that walks comes to town?

Also, honestly, read Brimstone Angels, people. It's good warlock stuff. Plague of Spells and the sequels, too. That and, at least in p&p, warlock powers are often inherited, with all that that implies. Fifth Edition warlocks are, also, completely and utterly baller.
The devil does not need any more advocates
Clerics are just socially acceptable warlocks.

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:35 am

That picture always reminds me of that 'scary stories to tell in the dark' book.
\

Seven Sons of Sin

Post by Seven Sons of Sin » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:48 am

While I recognize "unlimited power" is a tempting concept, and builds on Faust and Shakespearean conceits, maybe warlock roleplay is exhausting because this is the only reliable narrative you can fall back on. From what I've always seen, it fall into this category, straddling the "for greater good" and "ends justify means" tropes.

A warlock of yesteryear plays out the same as warlock of today on Arelith. And maybe I shouldn't be critical because I've never tempted to push the envelope, but I also think it's a narrative limitation of the class - which is why I've never been a big fan to begin with.

The difference with liches, cultists, zealots, etc., Is that extraplanar or malevolent contract can be but an aspect of that class or character. Whereas with warlocks, it's not only a central defining conflict of the class from a roleplay perspective, but also it defines all of their mechanics. Their mechanics are literally derived from it.

Sorry if this doesn't help the OP, and is too off-topic. I've often thought warlocks require RPR requirements instead of Pale Masters because of these very reasons, and I think should be some of the most thought-out characters because of the aforementioned baggage.

But, your mileage may vary, and people might be fine with the 20th iteration of the Illusive Man/Dr Faust/Macbeth/that warlock from NWN2.
Previous:
Oskarr of Procampur, Ro Irokon, Nahal Azyen, Nelehein Afsana (of Impiltur), Vencenti Medici, Nizram ali Balazdam, (Roznik) Naethandreil

Hunter548

Post by Hunter548 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:23 am

Seven Sons of Sin wrote:While I recognize "unlimited power" is a tempting concept, and builds on Faust and Shakespearean conceits, maybe warlock roleplay is exhausting because this is the only reliable narrative you can fall back on. From what I've always seen, it fall into this category, straddling the "for greater good" and "ends justify means" tropes.

A warlock of yesteryear plays out the same as warlock of today on Arelith. And maybe I shouldn't be critical because I've never tempted to push the envelope, but I also think it's a narrative limitation of the class - which is why I've never been a big fan to begin with.

The difference with liches, cultists, zealots, etc., Is that extraplanar or malevolent contract can be but an aspect of that class or character. Whereas with warlocks, it's not only a central defining conflict of the class from a roleplay perspective, but also it defines all of their mechanics. Their mechanics are literally derived from it.

Sorry if this doesn't help the OP, and is too off-topic. I've often thought warlocks require RPR requirements instead of Pale Masters because of these very reasons, and I think should be some of the most thought-out characters because of the aforementioned baggage.

But, your mileage may vary, and people might be fine with the 20th iteration of the Illusive Man/Dr Faust/Macbeth/that warlock from NWN2.
I think it's incredibly narrow-minded to view literally every warlock as "Macbeth/Faust/Armand Jerro". The class has a lot of potential in how you handle why the person bargained for power, or if they even bargained for something else and just got neat laser powers along the way (For example: I played a TN abyssal-pacted warlock who had made a deal where he would serve as a mortal agent killing devils and other demons for Pazuzu (via said aforementioned cool laser powers) in exchange for a wish to cure the illness of a childhood friend). Arguing that this is the same as the warlock who takes the pact because daddy doesn't love them and they want to be able to improve their noble house's station, and that's the same as the warlock who gets swindled into a fey deal, is actively asinine.

Warlocks are not any more inherently defined by the pacts and willing members who do it because they just want to rub devils all over their face than rangers are all inherently lost members of a half-elven bloodline with a claim to the throne of the major kingdom.
UilliamNebel wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:24 pm
You're right. Participating in the forums was a mistake. Won't do this again.
Anime Sword Fighter wrote: I have seen far too many miniskirt anime slave girls.

Dr_Hazard89

Post by Dr_Hazard89 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:32 am

Good/accidental/forced Warlock RP is not supported. All Arelith Warlocks have taken their pact voluntarily. The circumstances of this choice remain at the player's discretion.
For Arelith's purposes, every character with a Warlock pact makes the choice to pact, for whatever reason. -DM Watchtower
Characters: Xun'sali (ACTIVE), Tianae Tymeaneldth (Rolled), Sylali (Rolled), Magpie (Rolled), Ker'uanna Tymeaneldth (Rolled), Lepota Poklona (Rolled), Andariel Bloodletter (Shelved), Tahl'tril Cyredrretyn (Rolled), L'omithiel (Shelved).

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:46 am

Dr_Hazard89 wrote:Good/accidental/forced Warlock RP is not supported. All Arelith Warlocks have taken their pact voluntarily. The circumstances of this choice remain at the player's discretion.
For Arelith's purposes, every character with a Warlock pact makes the choice to pact, for whatever reason. -DM Watchtower
Thus, Ammon Jerro from NWN2 is not a valid character concept, because his powers were inherited.

I've encountered quite a few warlocks beyond the few tropes you mentioned. The Redemption Seeker is obviously a popular one, and I've encountered a few Zealots/True Believers as well. I've personally played warlocks that fit into the tropes of the Vengeful, the Desperate, and the Fool.

Perhaps you just need to meet more warlocks!
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

One Two Three Five

Post by One Two Three Five » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:03 am

What Saturday said! Going outside of the boundaries of this one NWN server might help. Warlock's one of the most popular p&p classes I've ever seen- there's literally been one in every tabletop game I've played for a solid five years, even in games without the standard 3E warlock. (Our table had 3-4 warlock homebrews back in the pre-spheres, pre-kineticist pathfinder days)

They've all been fairly different, even the ones played by the same people. It's like saying 'well paladins need an RPR requirement because they're either Carrot from Discworld or dark-and-gritty Game of Thrones expies that should've been LN divine champs.' You can reduce anything to cookie cutter nonsense if you start from a position of 'Well I hate this, and my opinion is fact.'

Dr_Hazard89

Post by Dr_Hazard89 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:14 am

Baron Saturday wrote:
Dr_Hazard89 wrote:Good/accidental/forced Warlock RP is not supported. All Arelith Warlocks have taken their pact voluntarily. The circumstances of this choice remain at the player's discretion.
Thus, Ammon Jerro from NWN2 is not a valid character concept, because his powers were inherited.

I've encountered quite a few warlocks beyond the few tropes you mentioned. The Redemption Seeker is obviously a popular one, and I've encountered a few Zealots/True Believers as well. I've personally played warlocks that fit into the tropes of the Vengeful, the Desperate, and the Fool.

Perhaps you just need to meet more warlocks!
My advice to anyone making a warlock is to follow the server rules.
Characters: Xun'sali (ACTIVE), Tianae Tymeaneldth (Rolled), Sylali (Rolled), Magpie (Rolled), Ker'uanna Tymeaneldth (Rolled), Lepota Poklona (Rolled), Andariel Bloodletter (Shelved), Tahl'tril Cyredrretyn (Rolled), L'omithiel (Shelved).

One Two Three Five

Post by One Two Three Five » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:18 am

please imagine this in the most tired 'we all know this is an rp server'-esque voice you can think of:
no one is advocating that we don't follow server rules and you know this

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:37 am

Play a warlock of a lies/deceit pact holder and tell everyone they forced you to take the pact ic under pain of death but be actually lying and sworn to never tell the truth about the pact and that's the real pact

or is it?
\

Ozzy.nl

Post by Ozzy.nl » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:27 am

To get back on the actual topic here. How does the whole fey warlock thing work i got a general idea about abyssal and fiend locks. But a pact with the fey. And the whole court thing i seem to be having a hard time finding stuff on google for it.

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:11 am

The winter (and summer to some extent) is actually not defined, it's meant to be unknowable, the fey do 'things' that last for 1000's of years, and are actually, usually, indecipherable to those that don't have eternal life. They screw one another over on a scale of one hundred years, and have rules, written and unwritten, as well as etiquette and protocols that must be observed. Despite all that though, they are chaotic as they are Fey, and evil as they are of the winter court. Nobody is even supposed to know the real name of their Queen.

So, in short, make it up, it's actually not made to be understood, and trying to define it diminishes it.
\

Punished Hans

Post by Punished Hans » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:31 am

You might consider this for a good read.

As for some personal advice, I've always enjoyed the chaotic, almost whimsical side to the unseelie fey's evil.
The fey's motivations are hard to grasp for mortal minds, if even at all possible. As such an abyssalists chaotic evil and an unseelie fey's chaotic evil rarely tend to be the same.

The feylock I've played, I RPd to be half possessed by an unseelie fey, his mind housing another entity of itself, so to speak. This caused him to act on the fey's near childlike impulses very often.

As an example, the fey was a banshrae, a being obsessed with music. This carried over in my feylocks behaviour, where he would be tasked by the creature to simply perform musical acts. The fey could be content to have him play music to strangers for hours and not harm a soul. But if anyone ever mentioned they disliked the music, the fey would be very upset.

Kuma
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Kuma » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:57 am

Seven Sons of Sin wrote:But a warlock? Making a contract with a something so raw and horrible and evil?

The question I've always had - is who in their right mind does this?
if you don't think that i'd pledge my soul to a fiend irl, you sorely underestimate me

House Freth: Reference Information
House Claddath: Reference Information
"What's a heretic?": a guide to religious schism terminology

Irongron wrote:

4. No full screen images of the NWN gnome model (might frighten the children)

Ozzy.nl

Post by Ozzy.nl » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:57 pm

As for phisical traits, we all know once they start to summon warlocks there eyes start glowing in colors.

But what about other phisical traits, could it be possible a warlock or feylock has taken over odd color hues in the eyes, haircolor even skin color? Or will the DM force a remake if you act on the last two?

Then again is that even a possibility as a warlock?

Queen Titania
Community Manager
Community Manager

Post by Queen Titania » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:39 pm

You're not a fey, or a devil, or demon. You just have powers. They shouldn't translate into look alteration.
Please don't feed my sister.