View distance

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Cerk Evermoore

View distance

Post by Cerk Evermoore » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:39 pm

Is there a way that people raise / lower their characters view distance? It seems like some people can detect or see characters from massive distances away and I was curious how.

Nitro

Re: View distance

Post by Nitro » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:29 am

Move the camera around. If you pan it down to almost chase mode you can see across most of an area.

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:47 am

That's a way to change the player's view distance, but the character still sees the same distance if I'm not mistaken. If you play with headphones in, you get a little sound any time anyone with buffs active enters your zone of detection, which might also be why some people are detecting others sooner than you are.

Dr_Hazard89

Post by Dr_Hazard89 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:25 pm

My camera is nearly always spinning while I spam tab until I see or hear anything. I immediately stop running, pretend I've been walking the whole time, brace myself to receive the *nods* I am entitled to, and go about my way.
Characters: Xun'sali (ACTIVE), Tianae Tymeaneldth (Rolled), Sylali (Rolled), Magpie (Rolled), Ker'uanna Tymeaneldth (Rolled), Lepota Poklona (Rolled), Andariel Bloodletter (Shelved), Tahl'tril Cyredrretyn (Rolled), L'omithiel (Shelved).

flower

Post by flower » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:36 pm

The sounds of buffs give out even hidden/invisible characters. If you know what to listen for, you can easily detect someone invisible nearbly.

Unless you play without sound :D

Wytchee
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Wytchee » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:24 pm

flower wrote:The sounds of buffs give out even hidden/invisible characters. If you know what to listen for, you can easily detect someone invisible nearbly.

Unless you play without sound :D
Please don't act on it IC though. It's akin to seeing a stealthed character, who you would not otherwise be able to detect, upon transitioning into an area.
Current character: Abigail Duskwood

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:46 pm

For me the sound only plays when I detect the character, not when they enter my detection radius. If a stealthed character walks up to me, then drops stealth, then I hear all their buff-sounds.

flower

Post by flower » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:31 pm

Why not act on it when it is part of game. They have free will not to use buffs revealing them. The sound have only few what i remember (protection from aligment for example).

Unlike the stealth bug, where sneaker has no means to deal with it.

Wytchee
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Wytchee » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:29 pm

flower wrote:Why not act on it when it is part of game. They have free will not to use buffs revealing them. The sound have only few what i remember (protection from aligment for example).

Because you're using a quirk of the game engine to gain an unfair advantage in character. Seeing a character briefly out of stealth when you transition into an area is "part of the game" too.

DM Rakshasa

Post by DM Rakshasa » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:21 pm

Wytchee wrote:
flower wrote:Why not act on it when it is part of game. They have free will not to use buffs revealing them. The sound have only few what i remember (protection from aligment for example).

Because you're using a quirk of the game engine to gain an unfair advantage in character. Seeing a character briefly out of stealth when you transition into an area is "part of the game" too.
Wytchee is correct. Just because something is part of the game and possible does not mean that it is okay to use it to your advantage to get an 'edge' on other players.
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Dreams

Post by Dreams » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:58 pm

Except in other situations people repeat again and again, as if in trance, 'WYSIWYG'.

Dr_Hazard89

Post by Dr_Hazard89 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:05 am

Nah, that's so meta.
Characters: Xun'sali (ACTIVE), Tianae Tymeaneldth (Rolled), Sylali (Rolled), Magpie (Rolled), Ker'uanna Tymeaneldth (Rolled), Lepota Poklona (Rolled), Andariel Bloodletter (Shelved), Tahl'tril Cyredrretyn (Rolled), L'omithiel (Shelved).

Wytchee
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Wytchee » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:11 am

Sorry, but I'm curious. Can buffing effects be seen when a character is invisible?

Say, if a mage casts invisibility then haste on herself, would other PCs see the little blue circle on the ground that accompanies casting the haste spell?

Aelryn Bloodmoon
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Aelryn Bloodmoon » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:24 am

Wytchee wrote:Sorry, but I'm curious. Can buffing effects be seen when a character is invisible?

Say, if a mage casts invisibility then haste on herself, would other PCs see the little blue circle on the ground that accompanies casting the haste spell?
No, not without a vision spell to render the invisibility moot. If the invisible mage casts haste on someone else, you'll see the blue circle on the target, though. (I believe area of affect auras like dirge and silence are visible even if the caster is not, although bringing these effects against an opponent should cancel the invisibility anyway).

For consistency's sake, however, I have an issue with this argument about a sound being an unintended consequence of the game.

Neverwinter nights assigns little eyes over your head when you can see invis, and sparkles around you when you protect yourself from elements. It makes wisps of light form around your character and turns their skin to stone (premonition/stoneskin).

None of these visual effects are part of the table-top game (stoneskin is an abjuration, not a transmutation), but the server absolutely legitimizes the sight of them for determining that someone is warded- IC laws and restrictions on where wards must be stripped exist.

Is it not grossly inconsistent to say the sounds the game added to magic are an exploit if the visual cues aren't?
Bane's tyranny is known throughout the continent, and his is the image most seen as the face of evil.
-Faiths and Pantheons (c)2002

Wytchee
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Wytchee » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:35 am

There has to be some level of consistency to what we accept as "fair" as, after all, this is a game.

Someone casting invisibility on themselves while having wards on is expected to be invisible. Using a quirk of the game engine to "hear" someone who is invisible isn't fair play, it's exploitative.

Remember, this isn't tabletop. It's Neverwinter Nights.

If I was spying on someone but they "heard my wards" and decided to cast true sight despite having no other indication that I was there, I'd ping the DM channel.

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:55 am

The real question is if the ward SFX can be heard on an undetected stealther. If not, then hey, good job on Bioware on managing to not make invisibility soundless.

Aelryn Bloodmoon
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Aelryn Bloodmoon » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:05 am

Wytchee wrote:There has to be some level of consistency to what we accept as "fair" as, after all, this is a game.

Someone casting invisibility on themselves while having wards on is expected to be invisible. Using a quirk of the game engine to "hear" someone who is invisible isn't fair play, it's exploitative.

Remember, this isn't tabletop. It's Neverwinter Nights.

If I was spying on someone but they "heard my wards" and decided to cast true sight despite having no other indication that I was there, I'd ping the DM channel.
But the circumstance you're citing isn't the case, with the exception of two or three (offensive) spells that track the approach of a hostile magical effect. You still don't see the caster without see invisibility (until that hostile effect hits you and breaks it).

Your argument that it's Neverwinter Nights re-affirms that the sounds of the world should be admissible- I never claimed this was tabletop, I merely pointed out that the visual effects don't exist in tabletop- but they do here, because it's not tabletop.

I'm not understanding your argument because it seems to hinge on invisibility being given away in ways that it isn't. Am I misunderstanding?
Bane's tyranny is known throughout the continent, and his is the image most seen as the face of evil.
-Faiths and Pantheons (c)2002

One Two Three Five

Post by One Two Three Five » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:24 am

If it only works with headphones in, it's probably an artifact of this game's dumbass coding and shouldn't be exploited. Also, read the thread, you ARE misunderstanding:
If you play with headphones in, you get a little sound any time anyone with buffs active enters your zone of detection, which might also be why some people are detecting others sooner than you are.
The devil does not need any more advocates
Clerics are just socially acceptable warlocks.

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:47 am

One Two Three Five wrote:If it only works with headphones in, it's probably an artifact of this game's dumbass coding and shouldn't be exploited. Also, read the thread, you ARE misunderstanding:
If you play with headphones in, you get a little sound any time anyone with buffs active enters your zone of detection, which might also be why some people are detecting others sooner than you are.
To clarify what I said before: that sound only plays if you actually detect them, not if they enter your zone of detection while in stealth or invisible. A stealther has to be detected or come out of stealth before their sounds play.

Also, it doesn't happen only with headphones in. Not sure why I said that. I think I meant something like "if you play with the sound on".

One Two Three Five

Post by One Two Three Five » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:22 am

That changes the meaning a bit, eh.
The devil does not need any more advocates
Clerics are just socially acceptable warlocks.

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:39 am

I did clarify a few posts later.
For me the sound only plays when I detect the character, not when they enter my detection radius. If a stealthed character walks up to me, then drops stealth, then I hear all their buff-sounds.