Teiflings and tails?

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Seekeepeek

Teiflings and tails?

Post by Seekeepeek » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:34 pm

i seen a lot of newer characters with tails and i been told ooc you can ask a DM for a tail. is this a thing?

Queen Titania
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Teiflings and tails?

Post by Queen Titania » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:16 pm

Yes
Please don't feed my sister.

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:17 pm

I thought a tail was a 5% :o
\

Teshil

Post by Teshil » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:28 pm

:D It's a penalty not a bonus!

TimeAdept

Post by TimeAdept » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:15 pm

no its definitely a bonus ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Pavor Nocturnus

Post by Pavor Nocturnus » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:44 pm

arelith's descent has begun
here
here
up here kane
Kane
up here
Kane morris

gilescorey

Post by gilescorey » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:07 pm

up here kane

Ironfoot

Post by Ironfoot » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:50 am

So they can be thiefling and pick head with "horns" on creation or not right? But for tail, they ask DM?

MalKalz
General Admin
General Admin

Post by MalKalz » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:56 am

Tieflings can choose to have one of their two physical traits be horns if they want. Tails, however, are not part of character creation and need a DM to actively summon an NPC to allow it.

However, choosing a tail does come with a cost. You are furthering your appearance as more monstrous and should be accepting of the hostility that comes towards it from lack of understanding and being a monsterous race.

Discord: @malkalz
Determine your Public CD Key here
Can't see your vault? Have you migrated your accounts? If you have tried, and still can't see them, message me.

Seven Sons of Sin

Post by Seven Sons of Sin » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:00 pm

^This is overblown (no offense Spyre). At least in my limited interactions, I got called a bigot for being suspicious of tieflings.

You honestly can play one with (little to) no consequence, based on my assessment.
Previous:
Oskarr of Procampur, Ro Irokon, Nahal Azyen, Nelehein Afsana (of Impiltur), Vencenti Medici, Nizram ali Balazdam, (Roznik) Naethandreil

Griefmaker

Post by Griefmaker » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:58 pm

Seven Sons of Sin wrote:^This is overblown (no offense Spyre). At least in my limited interactions, I got called a bigot for being suspicious of tieflings.

You honestly can play one with (little to) no consequence, based on my assessment.
I actually have to agree with this. Warlocks and the stigma of being one was considered a strong enough negative for their greater power as well, but in actuality, very rarely is it a true consequence. Same with dragons at the time and so forth.

Ideally, being something different and "foul" like this would be a true burden, but it is not.

caldura firebourne

Post by caldura firebourne » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:37 pm

DM Spyre wrote:Tieflings can choose to have one of their two physical traits be horns if they want. Tails, however, are not part of character creation and need a DM to actively summon an NPC to allow it.

However, choosing a tail does come with a cost. You are furthering your appearance as more monstrous and should be accepting of the hostility that comes towards it from lack of understanding and being a monsterous race.
Seven Sons of Sin wrote:^This is overblown (no offense Spyre). At least in my limited interactions, I got called a bigot for being suspicious of tieflings.

there is a huge difference between accepting as a player you're playing a monster and should be treated as such, and accepting it in character, if someone has called you "as a player" a bigot for treating a tiefling like a monster then I would see an issue with it, but it's perfectly acceptable for a tiefling "as a character" to be a bit miffed at being treated like trash for their lineage.

there is absolutely nothing stopping anyone from putting together a faction not unlike the warlock hunting browncloaks and driving these monsters or demon summoners into hiding
Plays as the monster in your closet

Improv

Post by Improv » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:41 pm

*shrugs* It comes and goes, I think. I've seen characters shunned for accidently speaking infernal or summoning the wrong thing. Depends where you are, who you run with...

Lots of people play morally nebulous characters too. If you see a Paladin who's weirdly accepting of warlocks and tieflings that may be worth reporting but otherwise you can't force people to RP suspicion. You can also just act shifty and get them a reason to be wary of you if you think your character is getting too many rainbows and hugs, one thing that always draws suspicion out in my experience is being in disguise, nobody seems to want to engage you then.

Tarkus the dog

Post by Tarkus the dog » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:48 am

What do you mean I can't sexy elven fun times tieflings on my aasimar paladin

Hello?

Queen Titania
Community Manager
Community Manager

Post by Queen Titania » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:41 am

If Tieflings aren't getting regarded with the suspicion we want, then we as a team are likely to take action, via story or otherwise, that introduces that stigma. It's been done with warlocks in the past when that was an issue.
Please don't feed my sister.

Wytchee
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Wytchee » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:44 am

DM Titania wrote:It's been done with warlocks in the past when that was an issue.
It still is.
Current character: Abigail Duskwood

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:29 am

Some dork yesterday gave me a pamphlet telling me how evil/dangerous warlocks are and how to ID them, so it's still pretty stigmatized I'd say.
\

DM Always This Late

Post by DM Always This Late » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:30 am

If someone was starting a movement to normalize Tiefling relations I would be very suspicious of said persons motives and wondering if they were under some sort of enchantment.

It'd be entirely appropriate lore wise to hate/distrust/persecute Tieflings, and as mentioned by some other DM's, expected in most cases around Arelith. I'd consult some of the past threads regarding the recent announcement about using the word "Racist" there was some really good posts that delved into situations regarding name calling and race relations etc.

As an example, That friendly Tiefling that seems nice enough? She could be half succubus and you're about to get your soul eaten!

Can you really trust a Tiefling? Are you okay with potentially having your eternal soul being on the lunch menu!

[Begins making propaganda pamphlets]
I loved and I loved and I lost you... And it hurt like hell.

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:23 am

...popping in just to mention this, as it is one of the biggest pet peeve of mine.

The fact a tiefling with sub-8 CHA, with bare blue skin and horns, was able to stay commander of the Cordor guard (idk if she still is) for as long as she did, and was allegedly persecuting people for 'racism', is I think enough evidence that there isn't enough persecution for tieflings, aasimar or any freak races.

A small disclaimer, I don't really want to single out the player/character above, as there has been other examples of special races getting normal or even special treatment, but it served as a stellar example for the point I wanted to bring across.

There is, and wasn't, any actual dislike of known tieflings that I've ever noticed(bar some paladins, some others seem to really dig tieflings). And I feel any attempt to say there is, are very specific and unique occurances.
:)

caldura firebourne

Post by caldura firebourne » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:38 am

Cortex wrote:The fact a tiefling with sub-8 CHA, with bare blue skin and horns, was able to stay commander of the Cordor guard (idk if she still is) for as long as she did, and was allegedly persecuting people for 'racism', is I think enough evidence that there isn't enough persecution for tieflings, aasimar or any freak races.
I would think the King of Cordor would have stepped on this one personally if the players in power didn't
Plays as the monster in your closet

TimeAdept

Post by TimeAdept » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:52 am

Cortex wrote:...popping in just to mention this, as it is one of the biggest pet peeve of mine.

The fact a tiefling with sub-8 CHA, with bare blue skin and horns, was able to stay commander of the Cordor guard (idk if she still is) for as long as she did, and was allegedly persecuting people for 'racism', is I think enough evidence that there isn't enough persecution for tieflings, aasimar or any freak races.

A small disclaimer, I don't really want to single out the player/character above, as there has been other examples of special races getting normal or even special treatment, but it served as a stellar example for the point I wanted to bring across.

There is, and wasn't, any actual dislike of known tieflings that I've ever noticed(bar some paladins, some others seem to really dig tieflings). And I feel any attempt to say there is, are very specific and unique occurances.
As Chancellor of Cordor I will say there are very specific reasons why she is Knight Commander, and there are agreat many characters who understand how complex of an issue this is on many levels.

Edit: And to say people "like" the situation or the tiefling in question is a gross misunderstanding of the situation in question as well, again, speaking as the Chancellor who spends 90% of his time dealing with the fires that arise around this exact situation.
Last edited by TimeAdept on Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:54 am

Cortex wrote:...popping in just to mention this, as it is one of the biggest pet peeve of mine.

how much CHA would you have liked to see for a PC in that position?
\

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:00 am

Why are you focusing exclusively on the CHA part? Of which the point was less so "you need X CHA for this position" and more so that it's not a manipulative succubus blooded tiefling, but rather what looks more like a brutish bloodline.
:)

Hunter548

Post by Hunter548 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:05 am

BegoneThoth wrote: how much CHA would you have liked to see for a PC in that position?
The operative phrase there was "tiefling", I imagine, not "8 charisma".

Regardless -- There's been a lot of tieflings in Cordor in general of recent (Upwards of six, last I counted). Most of them have been pretty open about it.

If the intent of the DMs is for them to be treated as monsters, maybe steps should be taken to remind the portion of the playerbase who doesn't behave that way?
UilliamNebel wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:24 pm
You're right. Participating in the forums was a mistake. Won't do this again.
Anime Sword Fighter wrote: I have seen far too many miniskirt anime slave girls.

Peppermint

Post by Peppermint » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:05 am

Silly Cortex. Clearly, you misplaced your emphasis. Had you mentioned that the character was a tiefling before listing their charisma score, your intent would have been clearer.