Orog equipment

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

nobs3
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Re: Orog equipment

Post by nobs3 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:32 pm

Before I did see this discussion I did post the question “why greatsword?” in the feedback section.

Special racial craftable items – pro:
- Rp finding objects
- Supporting special races
- And the possibilities of dynamic balancing (race, players, classes, levels!!) sound very interesting! ( like Kirito described)

My concerns regarding special racial craftable items are – contra:
- Forcing players into some few weapons/armors (which might not fit to the character concept) – e.g. you would think twice playing a tribal orog with a spear… (and where is the greathammer (twohanded)?)
- Most of the new equipment needs ingredients and add properties that address high level characters and players with much playtime to get them.

So it would be great if there would be a much larger set of weapons and armors that could be produced BY a special race FOR a special race; e.g. adding a racial tag by adding some additional ingredients.
And those racial tag weapons/armors would effect even low level items – e.g. iron weapons.
E.g. add two special rare components that can be found in …
Low level dungeons / chests for low level equipment
Mid level dungeons / chests for mid level equipment
High level dungeons / chests for high level equipment

Or add the ability to upgrade a weapon by adding something…

Ok. That would be much work.

Still those two contra points mentioned above bear the potential of some frustration – which could/should be avoided IMO.

BUT! Overall its great work! I like the intention. And more dynamic balancing and maybe even rewarding sounds like a complete new path with much potential.

Kirito

Post by Kirito » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:49 pm

The idea of taking an item, adding something to it and it improving is something that's been considered. It's just an extension of the crafting system where the new item takes the old item as one of the components

Improv

Post by Improv » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:23 pm

I feel like in an ideal situation if you were to play one orog melee character, retire them, then play another different orog melee character the game would allow you to go a very different route with both class skills and gear. In a way with with the "optimal" builds we're close to the point where most people make the same choices and follow the same checklists, but I'm wary of getting to a place where it's like World of Warcraft and every point of your build is pre-planned and every item you're going to craft or seek out in loot is known before you even create the character.

That's not really a specific comment about the orog equipment but it would be nice to have a crafting system that rewarded creativity instead of pigeonholing characters into archetypes. Not that we are at that particular place but it is possible we will get there. And that would be a shame because the best thing about 3.x D&D in my opinion is the wealth of possibilities for multiclassing and making characters that don't fit preconceived notions of "this is how everyone from a particular race has to be."

Another concern to me is the move to make gear that maxed-out UMD can't use.. It does seem to me that if you invest in getting your UMD to 50 or 60+ you ought to be able to make use of every weapon and piece of armor you have proficiency in, racial or not. I guess that's another topic but it does seem to take away from some of the magic of the game to me.

dallion43
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by dallion43 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:44 am

1. scim adam. +3ab, +6dam 15-20(imp.crit feat)
orog bast +4ab(enchant!), +4slashing, +2blungion, 15-20(imp crit feat+keen); effectively +1bludgeon(since most people have 5% immun)
Unless you plan to pray to the basic Gods(Those haters!) to keen your adam. scim treat it like spending 1 pre-epic feat for 1AB and two-hand option. Must have if you are Orog, imho.
-----
Two-handed, well, one needs to introduce a +2AC feat(fighter?epic feat?) for two-handed wielders or two-handers with +AC on them if one wants to move two-handed builds from the red book.
-----
Armor is nice.

2. No weapon creation cost is usually taken into calculation when comparing race+build vs race+build, unless it is equivalent to random very rare epic loot or keen on adam. weapon from basin or similar. Imho.

Unfortunately it didn't made the Orog more build versatile, but it did busted the Orogs at what they good at already and now Orog WM is arguably better the human WM for example, imho.

3. Current Arelith DMs and Developers are flexible and the most productive and creative from all I seen in my NwN experience, I am sure this race specific item mechanic will lead to great and interesting options.
UMD is similar only if you bring the number to unreachable. If more items will be introduced as we go at some point there will be a new must have on a build...60 UMD and not 15-20UMD.

The bust with items, race/build roles and etc, are better then trying to nerf one thing then other then third, and there is nothing wrong with Orog to be more suited for melee front lines, for example lore wise, no?

P.C
On other news, current Orogs that wanted to be something else then a WM or BG had to learn how to use the damn hated mandolin and flute and pray for a major award...a joke.

flower

Post by flower » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:38 am

Lorkas, large portion of Elves live in great cities and not in forests...

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:00 am

flower wrote:Lorkas, large portion of Elves live in great cities and not in forests...
You're kinda focusing on the part of the quote that isn't relevant to this conversation, but in any case, it's from WotC, not from me. The stereotype of elves promoted in the sourcebooks is that even their cities blend into nature. The fact that some exceptions to the stereotype exist doesn't mean that the stereotype isn't present in the setting. Even in Arelith, most elves live in a great city in a forest. They aren't mutually exclusive for elves.

TimeAdept

Post by TimeAdept » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:19 pm

Oh snap, items with bonuses based on how many levels of a class you have?

ROGUE BUFFS WHEN

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:25 pm

Cortex had said he might work on it before he stepped down... I am really hoping someone takes up the reins on that one.

Kirito

Post by Kirito » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:25 pm

TimeAdept wrote:Oh snap, items with bonuses based on how many levels of a class you have?

ROGUE BUFFS WHEN
Find THIEVES GLOVES in the loot matrix... they were the second item in the new system ;)

rookie

Post by rookie » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:53 pm

Kirito wrote: The system gives us complete control over it. We could even limit it to be useable by a single PC character if we wanted. Have time released abilities and more still.
Just thinking of some examples:

Does it give you the ability to change Dust of Disappearance to have a CL of 7 for everyone but PCs with 75% of their levels in rogue where it will have a CL of 14?

Or change the DC of an expendable item based on the character class makeup of the recipient?

Not saying that it should be done, just curious if it can be.

Kirito

Post by Kirito » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:10 pm

No for both cases (currently) the system is only designed to work for items that are equipped.

It could, however, be modified to change to on-acquired for the items. Which would probably enable both above two examples. (Not 100% sure on how CL or DC are set, but given everything else, i'd expect it doable)

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:35 am

CL on items has definitely been modified before, but it was modified based on the item creation rather than the item user. Once for about 2 weeks or so on the main server, items cast from wands were at the same CL as the caster who made it.