Darrowdeep and Gloom

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Rivace_Silver

Darrowdeep and Gloom

Post by Rivace_Silver » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:53 pm

"-Bidding has now opened for the castles, and will remain open for the follow 6 game months." -irongron

What does this mean? ive just scouted the whole castle and found no method of this bidding.. also the quarters are open to being purchased...

can you clarify this bidding and how does one come to own a quarter within? I assume (much like the guildhall in cordor) that the 40k quarter sign is the masters sign and he can control access to the whole property through that. If i buy it ..then i win the bid?

Im 0% clear on this bidding concept for the castles.
-That one time that Stath did that one thing and it was funny...

-We cannot all be the hero, some have to be the normal folk who make others heros..

- we are all the protagonist of our own stories.

Tyrantos

Re: Darrowdeep and Gloom

Post by Tyrantos » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:54 pm

Bidding is done in the Mayfields.

Devil Dog
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Devil Dog » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:56 pm

Think they said bidding is done at the other new place... mayfield property broker??

yellowcateyes
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by yellowcateyes » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:17 pm

Dinosaur Space Program is my working partner on Arelith-related projects. If my inbox is full or I take a while to get back to you, feel free to PM them questions or concerns.

Irongron
Server Owner/Creative Lead

Post by Irongron » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:20 pm

Yes, it is done at the Mayfield's Brokerage within the tavern there. As I understand there is some current database problem, so its been put on hold again for the time being. Hopefully only for a few hours.

Once it is finally working properly I'll make that post.

Also, while this isn't the kudos thread Morderon and Action Replay have been working pretty flat out these last days to get the underlying system sorted, its extremely complex and frustrating work and they're likely still at it as I write this. We're really luck to have guys like this working on the team.

Sab1

Post by Sab1 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:01 pm

What's the rules for owning them. open to anyone UD and surface?

Kirito

Post by Kirito » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:54 pm

Something along the lines of Surface settlements own them for (upto) 3 game years I think?

Irongron will expand on it much more soon :)

SwampFoot

Post by SwampFoot » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:13 am

Sounds like a toy for settlement cliques that will have very little function for anyone not invested in settlement play.

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:22 am

Sounds like it's time to get invested in settlement role-play then!
\

DM Rakshasa

Post by DM Rakshasa » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:18 am

Sab1 wrote:What's the rules for owning them. open to anyone UD and surface?
The Underdark is not privy to Darrowdeep or Castle Gloom.
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:48 am

DM Rakshasa wrote:
In the same way that ownership of the Dreadnought, silver mines, outpost, and spore farms is not open to Cordor or other surface settlements.

Irongron

Post by Irongron » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:07 pm

Now this is all working I'll go ahead and make a post about it later.

Suddenly got rather sick today, and not able to type easily, but will do this as soon as I'm feeling more myself.

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:50 pm

Awww. Get well soon Irongron!
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

Sab1

Post by Sab1 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:12 pm

DM Rakshasa wrote:
Thank you, I just wanted to make sure it was known if UD races could try and take a castle, before a mistake happens and headaches occur.

Irongron

Post by Irongron » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:51 pm

Sab1

Post by Sab1 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:41 am

Thank you Iron, I have noticed in the bid list it shows devils table and sharps. Is that just ignore it sort of thing since they can't bid on the castles?

flower

Post by flower » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:23 am

If i read it right UD can conquer it?

liver and bones

Post by liver and bones » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:48 am

flower wrote:If i read it right UD can conquer it?
"Surface settlements will not be able to bid on teh UD brokerage areas, and Andunor district cannot bid on the castles."

So, no.

flower

Post by flower » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:04 am

"Can castles be attacked/ceded?

Yes. A core part of the design of the castles has been to support conflict events. As with all such conflicts this will rquire DM support/approval, but should be far less of a headache than bringing conflicts to the settlement themeselves. Owners should also be able to cede control of the castle, though currently this must be done by their contacting myself or action replay directly."

Nowhere ever mentioned only surface factions may attack castles.

liver and bones

Post by liver and bones » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:13 am

flower wrote:"Can castles be attacked/ceded?

Yes. A core part of the design of the castles has been to support conflict events. As with all such conflicts this will rquire DM support/approval, but should be far less of a headache than bringing conflicts to the settlement themeselves. Owners should also be able to cede control of the castle, though currently this must be done by their contacting myself or action replay directly."

Nowhere ever mentioned only surface factions may attack castles.
That's all out war, which means it requires the approval of an administrator for whatever settlement that holds either castle to be able to react. That most likely means whatever settlement that's holding the castle will attack Andunor.

Irongron

Post by Irongron » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:57 am

The problem with Underdark control of either of these castles is that they are not really built for it, as the NPCs there certainly wouldn't extend their loyalty to monster races.

That being said there is still the definite possibilty of attacking/sacking them, and holding them for a limited duration via an event. As I said in that Q&A such attacks would require DM support/approval and advance notification of intent.

As a dedicated UDer for many years, and one who led a number of surface attacks I recognise it has been hard to foster any kind of meaningful conflict without unintentionally grieving players who wish no part in it. Settlement attacks were always messy and I think presented too great a challenge to DMs to handle in an enjoyable way for both sides. Hopefully with castles, should and when such raids happen, it can be a more tightly controlled and rewarding experience.

The addition of Castle Gloom has also reminded me how sad it was to see Wharftown destroyed, as I originally conceived its location partly with that settlement in mind. Its loss has left Gloom in an extrmely isolated location, and one of little to zero strategic significance. I should of course have realsed that building a castle in a swamp was bound to take longer than intended.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNaXdLWt17A

Archon

Post by Archon » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:34 am

After reading released Q&A and other information, there is something I'd like a confirmation on, and to make a suggestion if what I have in mind is no-can-do.

Are castles only accessible by settlement citizens (atm I understand this is the case)?

I will focus to Myon because of its Mythal. If I wished to house non-citizen elves (potentially evil aligned, a place for those who cannot access Myon proper), allied factions, mercenaries, agents, etc. does it stay impossible, or will settlement leader be able give access to non-citizens at all with faction menu/keys/something else?

If not, that option would make, at least for me, investment a lot more worth it. Castles are super neat, but expanded use would make them even more neat.

ActionReplay
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by ActionReplay » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:05 am

Citizens of the controlling Nation/Settlement can always open up the doors for non-citizens of that nation.

Archon

Post by Archon » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:17 am

Alright. Basically housing non-citizens is a bit too much of a hassle for it to be convenient on the long run.

ActionReplay
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by ActionReplay » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:20 am

Archon wrote:Alright. Basically housing non-citizens is a bit too much of a hassle for it to be convenient on the long run.
Maybe Irongron can answer this better. Though even if that is the case its possible to have this added as a feature maybe.