PDK Changes

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Baron Saturday

PDK Changes

Post by Baron Saturday » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:06 pm

Just a few minor questions regarding this update. (Though others are welcome to post their own questions as well!)
ActionReplay wrote:1. HEROIC SHIELD
Standard Action
Duration and Cooldown of 1 Hour
Range: Targeted Ability

The Knight designates a friendly target as a Ward. The Ward gains 5% + 1% per Knight Level damage immunity to all damage types, as well as 1/+1 DR. Additionally, the designated Ward benefits more from the knightly abilities described below.
What's the intent with the 1/+1 DR? Seems sort of irrelevant. Not arguing that it should be increased, just... Wondering why it's there at all.
ActionReplay wrote:6. FINAL STAND
Standard Action
3 Turn Cooldown
Range: Large

Each nearby ally is healed for 1d8 HP per Knight level, and an additional 1d8 HP per 5% missing health on that ally. Healing on the Ward is empowered (150% of normal). Additionally,
. . .
(Protector 10): at ten class levels, the Knight Protector and all affected allies gain 20% immunity to elemental damage types and 5/+10 DR for 1 turn.
Wouldn't this also give anything with creature weapons the ability to pierce any DR of X/+10 or less?
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

Sockss

Re: PDK Changes

Post by Sockss » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:12 pm

I'm pretty sure the first part is so it's still usable at low levels.

iirc, temporary bonuses don't give dr piercing, it has to be a 'natural' one
Thankfully this team is no longer being used.

Sockss#5567 for nwn mechanics questions.

Wytchee
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Wytchee » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:14 pm

Sockss wrote:I'm pretty sure the first part is so it's still usable at low levels.

Premo affords druids the ability to pierce DR while in Elemental Form. However, Elemental Form bears a creature weapon.
Current character: Abigail Duskwood

yellowcateyes
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by yellowcateyes » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:28 pm

The 1/+1 is a newbie boon, for those who go into PDK early. It's expected that it will end up superfluous later on.

Using Final Stand to give DR penetration to creature weapons, if it works, is a niche case. Premonition essentially does the same thing, given Arelith's magic level and the DR generally available.

Let us know if it does work. I'm actually a little curious.
Dinosaur Space Program is my working partner on Arelith-related projects. If my inbox is full or I take a while to get back to you, feel free to PM them questions or concerns.

hoshi

Post by hoshi » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:02 pm

I'm a bit curious how existing PDKs will be treated, especially if they don't meet the pre-reqs.

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:29 pm

I mean, now that PDK can't be taken until level 7 at the earliest, by which point the character will have 70+ HP, it still seems sorta extraneous. But, meh. It's not hurting anything!

Also, assuming (hoping) that pre-existing PDKs without the pre-reqs will be grandfathered?
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

Iceborn

Post by Iceborn » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:35 pm

yellowcateyes wrote:The 1/+1 is a newbie boon, for those who go into PDK early. It's expected that it will end up superfluous later on.
Considering that you cannot take PDK as soon as level 2 anymore - but instead, 6, this bonus is completely irrelevant.
Misc Changes, with the Feats and Skills sublinks.
Available races
Spell Changes
Class Mechanics
Command Guide

Take a look before asking your questions!

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:51 pm

I would not call it irrelevant, it means that damage received is reduced by a minimum of 2. More if your protected target has DI armor and you're hit for double digits.

Get hit 10 times, that's 20 damage you never took. Which beats 10 damage you never took.
:)

Sockss

Post by Sockss » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:56 pm

Wytchee wrote:
Sockss wrote:I'm pretty sure the first part is so it's still usable at low levels.

Premo affords druids the ability to pierce DR while in Elemental Form. However, Elemental Form bears a creature weapon.
Ah, so temporary bonuses apply that as well? I didn't know that! Thanks!
Thankfully this team is no longer being used.

Sockss#5567 for nwn mechanics questions.

Iceborn

Post by Iceborn » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:24 pm

Cortex wrote:I would not call it irrelevant, it means that damage received is reduced by a minimum of 2. More if your protected target has DI armor and you're hit for double digits.

Get hit 10 times, that's 20 damage you never took. Which beats 10 damage you never took.
While I don't have a glimpse on the weapons of the mobs, I'd ask:
How long does it take for mobs to start using +1 weapons?
I'd quite assume that by the second set of dungeons, that'd be the standard.
Misc Changes, with the Feats and Skills sublinks.
Available races
Spell Changes
Class Mechanics
Command Guide

Take a look before asking your questions!

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:33 pm

Iceborn wrote:
Cortex wrote:I would not call it irrelevant, it means that damage received is reduced by a minimum of 2. More if your protected target has DI armor and you're hit for double digits.

You'd be surprised actually, I leveled a shifter to epic level, and the vast majority of Arelith dungeons through the early, mid and even some in the late levels completely lack any form of enchanted melee weapons, I could tank through most of the orclands as soon as I got gargoyle shape thanks to the lack of magical weaponry.

hoshi

Post by hoshi » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:44 pm

Does the Valiant's Oath of Wrath buff the PDK as well as allies, or just allies with +magic damage? The wording is a bit different than the other abilities so thought I'd check.

Also does the pre-req for weapon focus work for unarmed and ranged, all weapons but unarmed, or?

Hunter548

Post by Hunter548 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:49 pm

Iceborn wrote:

Yeah, there's large sections of the module where stuff has unenchanted weapons. Most of the abyss, as I recall, for one.
UilliamNebel wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:24 pm
You're right. Participating in the forums was a mistake. Won't do this again.
Anime Sword Fighter wrote: I have seen far too many miniskirt anime slave girls.

yellowcateyes
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by yellowcateyes » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:51 pm

hoshi wrote:Does the Valiant's Oath of Wrath buff the PDK as well as allies, or just allies with +magic damage? The wording is a bit different than the other abilities so thought I'd check.

Also does the pre-req for weapon focus work for unarmed and ranged, all weapons but unarmed, or?
All allies. If you didn't have magic damage before, you'd get it with the buff.

And it's Any Weapon Focus, so that includes unarmed and ranged.
Dinosaur Space Program is my working partner on Arelith-related projects. If my inbox is full or I take a while to get back to you, feel free to PM them questions or concerns.

hoshi

Post by hoshi » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:09 am

yellowcateyes wrote:
hoshi wrote:Does the Valiant's Oath of Wrath buff the PDK as well as allies, or just allies with +magic damage? The wording is a bit different than the other abilities so thought I'd check.

All allies. If you didn't have magic damage before, you'd get it with the buff.

And it's Any Weapon Focus, so that includes unarmed and ranged.
Sorry for being a dummy, do you mean "all allies" as in "only allies" or "the PDK counts as an ally"?

yellowcateyes
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by yellowcateyes » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:15 am

hoshi wrote:Sorry for being a dummy, do you mean "all allies" as in "only allies" or "the PDK counts as an ally"?
PDK abilities that affect all allies also affect the PDK.