Favoured Soul MkII

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

WanderingPoet

Favoured Soul MkII

Post by WanderingPoet » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:16 am

http://wiki.arelith.com/Cleric#Favoured_Soul

Since I've not seen any word on this I was wonder, is this coming to Regulith at some point? It looks like a lot of fun and really plays closer to the books than the current.

Though I do have a question for whoever made it - the Favoured Soul does not get bonus spells(which if I recall is 1 extra spell per level) or domain abilities(such as stronger summons) but do they get domain spells? I would hope so, since if you're a favoured soul then getting spells related to your deity makes sense - for example an Akadian could take Air for some lightning spells, destruction for some fog spells, travel for speed or trickery to be hidden. It would give a bit more flavour than just the standard repertoire of cleric spells.
Path_of_Play wrote:Fear, intimidation, anger - All these, the tyrant's tools.
Laughter, encouragement, play - not simply just for fools.
These tools reveal,
More is learned,
From another in an hour of play,
Than in a year of contention.

Gods_Kill_People

Re: Favoured Soul MkII

Post by Gods_Kill_People » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:24 am

Ignore me, misread
Last edited by Gods_Kill_People on Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

liver and bones

Post by liver and bones » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:47 am

No domain spells.

I haven't see anyone mention this coming to regular Arelith. It doesn't sound too broken, or at least I can think of. Domain spells is what really breaks clerics, and those are removed with this special class.

WanderingPoet

Post by WanderingPoet » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:38 am

Bumping this - is this possibly coming to Regulith? It does look like a lot of fun.
These tools reveal,
More is learned,

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:51 am

Best to assume no until the devs say yes.

WanderingPoet

Post by WanderingPoet » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:40 pm

That is why I'm asking again a few months later, hoping the devs will say yes :)
These tools reveal,
More is learned,

One Two Three Five

Post by One Two Three Five » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:01 pm

Having played one, as a fair warning: it's not very good. It was cool to be a favored soul and not a cleric again, though, RP-wise.
The devil does not need any more advocates
Clerics are just socially acceptable warlocks.

WanderingPoet

Post by WanderingPoet » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:15 pm

Personally I'm fine with not-very-good mechanically in return for rp-flavour!
Last edited by WanderingPoet on Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

One Two Three Five

Post by One Two Three Five » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:21 pm

A relatively simple fix would be letting them keep one domain and.. Idunno. Some of the pnp favored soul stuff would help. Weapon proficiency, damage resistance, etc.
The devil does not need any more advocates
Clerics are just socially acceptable warlocks.

WanderingPoet

Post by WanderingPoet » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:03 pm

Keeping one domain would be nice for flavour, like letting a Favoured Soul of Talos actually cast Call Lightning. A bit of a shame there are 1000000 gods, otherwise It'd be great to limit domains or just give actual 'god spells' per god, but that'd not likely be viable unless it was grouped by god type.

That actually could be interesting - have it so when favoured souls pick a god they get to choose two of the 'aspects' of their deity. For example, you choose Corellon Larethian, Elven god of war and destruction and hearth/home which'd give the choice between Elven, War, and H/H - they can pick two.

So keeping them at about 10 spell levels:
Elven: Mage Armour, lesser spell mantle, Vine Mine
War: Aura of Vitality, Divine Power (Level 3)
Hearth and Home: Heal (Level 5), Wall of Fire

Others:
Nature: Call Lightning, Gust of Wind, Cat's Grace, Spike Growth
Knowledge/Invention: Identify, Legend Lore, Clair/Clair
Trickery: Invisibility, Improved Invisibility, Camouflage, Shadow Conjuration
Magic: Magic Missile, Mord's Disjunction

Dwarf: Stoneskin, Earthquake (Level 7)
Etc

Spitballing, could probably give more spells without getting really much more powerful, and add the strength of the deity (greater, major, lesser, demigod) etc as another type - but control over the actual spells without needing to make a set per deity. This would fall apart a bit with nature gods, as many are of death, or various elements (earth god with gust of wind is odd), but it could give a nice set of spells to choose from without the super powers of domains.

...This got a bit more Feedback than Question, oops.

Mithreas
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Mithreas » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:43 am

It's been a little while since I threw this together, but I think there are limitations on being able to add and remove spells from cleric spellbooks. Clerics don't have a memorised spell list, per se.

It should be possible to add domains to the character based on their deity (or aspects), though. Giving Magic to Magic domain, Knowledge to K&I, Plant to Nature (since the aspect power works around plants rather than animals), Healing to H&H, and War to W&D would be a neat boon, while still avoiding some of the most powerful domain powers (no Haste or Improved Invis). Obviously deities with two aspects would be significantly better than single aspect deities, though. I never did get around to halving the effectiveness of two-domain deities.
xkcd.com is best viewed with Netscape Navigator 4.0 or below on a Pentium 3±1 emulated in Javascript on an Apple IIGS at a screen resolution of 1024x1.For security reasons, please leave caps lock on while browsing.

Peppermint

Post by Peppermint » Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:56 pm

With EE (and haks) right around the corner, paths feel rather antiquated as a concept.

I'd sooner hold out for a full-fledged favored soul class than a path with relatively minimal benefits and RP possibilities.

Tyrantos

Post by Tyrantos » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:42 pm

Hopefully with the new EE release around the corner it will be made easier to make classes too!