rp'ing a wildshape'd druid.

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

hoshi

Re: rp'ing a wildshape'd druid.

Post by hoshi » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:18 pm

Rivace_Silver wrote: i do not think NWN is dnd rule set 3.5 either .. so please use defnitions and rules from the actual ruleset we are playing in. i think its 2.5? 3.5 is just before World of Warcraft which is 4.0 ... correct me if im completely wrong.
NWN is sort of D&D 3.25. It is based on 3.0 and some of the ideas of that eventually went into 3.5E.

Almost the exact same text is present in 3.0, and specified in "Masters of the Wild" p. 11 including the bit about the parrot. This is the book where the Shifter class was featured as well.

That's not to say that your druid character couldn't have a special collar around their neck that translates the animal sounds to Common or what not, or just saying that through study and work your character has found a way around it. Or dismissing the lore completely and going your own way. My point was that I think it is understandable why some people might not like an animal chatting in Common with no explanation whatsoever.

cornelius_4
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by cornelius_4 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:43 pm

Those 3.5 rules are pretty clear, fair enough.

I'd still say that if the world was about to end unless a druid in the shape of a dog uttered something that kind of sounded like "yes" within 10 minutes, the druid could probably do it.

You've probably seeen the video of that cat that can say something like "oh long johnsooon", here's an example of a dog that can make some kind-of-word-sounding sounds:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2c8MMiytwNs

If the druid had trained for it, I wouldn't find it unreasonable to have learned to communicate some simple things, even if it might be a bit of a strain even after having learned it.

That being said, even if one thinks one can, doesn't mean one should. The reaction of those hearing it matters of course and should be adjusted to. The druid might also simply have no interest in speaking as an animal or generally prefer the easier route of animal language and emotes, given that speaking would take more effort.

Improv

Post by Improv » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:31 am

Something you do in wild shape is going to get you a “you’re doing it wrong” tell sooner or later. I’ve been told drinking potions is a cheat because “where are they coming from?”. Once when I was playing a wolf druid I emoted her “pointing” to something and got a pissy tell about how wolves don’t have fingers. I mean— there’s a whole breed of dogs called “pointers”, pointing is what hunting dogs DO!

So on that front I’d advise just doing what feels right because there’s no right answer and a lot of strong opinions, some of them smart and some pretty dumb. Not speaking is probably the safest way to go and is an opportunity for creative problem solving but a speaking animal isn’t at all out of the question.

Wytchee
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Wytchee » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:42 am

Improv wrote:Something you do in wild shape is going to get you a “you’re doing it wrong” tell sooner or later. I’ve been told drinking potions is a cheat because “where are they coming from?”. Once when I was playing a wolf druid I emoted her “pointing” to something and got a pissy tell about how wolves don’t have fingers. I mean— there’s a whole breed of dogs called “pointers”, pointing is what hunting dogs DO!
Potions have a mechanical function, and that function is limited by the mechanics of the game. Speaking isn't really. But whoever got on your back for pointing is a dork.
Current character: Abigail Duskwood

Azensor

Post by Azensor » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:23 am

hm.. a lot of info so far, but i think i'll shelf the classical shifter druid and roll with another idea(atleast on my current character)