Enchantment basin's listed success chance reflects foci?

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Child of Maragaram

Enchantment basin's listed success chance reflects foci?

Post by Child of Maragaram » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:44 am

Just looking for some confirmation. The chance of success I see when looking to enchant an item takes into account any spell focuses my character has in Enchantment, correct? To put it another way, if I see that the potential enchantment has a "5% chance of success," for example, that value reflects the chances after the cost of the enchantment is reduced by my character's Enchantment foci, yes?

Xerah

Re: Enchantment basin's listed success chance reflects foci?

Post by Xerah » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:48 am

Yes, it does. 5% comes sooner than you'd expect.
Katernin Bersk, Chancellor of Divination; Kerri Amblecrown, Paladin of Milil; Xull'kacha Auvry'rae, Redcap Fey-pacted; Sadia yr Thuravya el Bhirax, Priestess of Umberlee; Lissa Whitehorn, Archmage of Artifice

Child of Maragaram

Post by Child of Maragaram » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:22 am

Welp. Looks like I completely wasted 2 feats then. ^_^;

Thanks!

Xerah

Post by Xerah » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:23 am

It depends. You can't make the final end game gear without the three foci.
Katernin Bersk, Chancellor of Divination; Kerri Amblecrown, Paladin of Milil; Xull'kacha Auvry'rae, Redcap Fey-pacted; Sadia yr Thuravya el Bhirax, Priestess of Umberlee; Lissa Whitehorn, Archmage of Artifice

Child of Maragaram

Post by Child of Maragaram » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:27 am

Personally, my goal isn't to make "final end game gear." I just wanted the ability to add a single skill bonus to two of the craftable tailoring items. But apparently it's a "5% chance of success" whether I have Greater Spell Focus Enchantment or not, sooo... oh well. Live and learn.

Orian_666

Post by Orian_666 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:10 pm

The success chance is based off the final value of the item after enchanting.
Final end game gear of an ESF: Enchanting enchanter is usually either;
+1 Stat, +1 Stat, +2 Skill, +2 Skill, +2 Skill, +2 Skill. (the 4th skill bonus is "Optional")
Or +1 Stat, +1 Stat, +1 Save, +2 Skill, +2 Skill.
So generally if the item you want to enchant has more "enchantments", similar, or an estimated value higher, than an item like either of the above, then it's safe to assume it'll be a 5% chance even with ESF: Enchanting.
In a lot cases with crafted gear, as with much of them they can be end game items, you'll find that they're definitely going to be a 5% chance no matter what.
What items did you want to enchant?

Child of Maragaram

Post by Child of Maragaram » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:30 pm

I was specifically looking to enchant the Royal Outfit and Fur Cloak with +2 Perform each. But you know what I just realized? The fact that doing so that has a 5% chance of success doesn't make much sense. Here's why:

The Royal Outfit is supposedly worth 9001 gold pieces, but the Fur Cloak is only worth 3241 gold pieces, and the chance for successfully adding +2 Perform was 5% for both of them. Meanwhile, the Gloves of the Singer are supposedly worth ~14400~ gold pieces, but I was easily able to add +1 Charisma to them with like a 43% chance of success. That doesn't really add up, now that I think about it more.

Aren't skill bonus enchantments supposed to cost less and therefore have a higher chance of success than ability bonus enchantments? Has there been some other change to the enchanting system that I'm unaware of? Are the values listed for the Royal Outfit and Fur Cloak just wholly incorrect or something?

SwampFoot

Post by SwampFoot » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:43 pm

I can't comment on item cost, but the fur cloak and the royal out fit are reasonably easy to get components for and craft. I'd make a bunch and burn that 5% as xp and gp allows.

Aelryn Bloodmoon
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Aelryn Bloodmoon » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:09 am

From personal experience, a decent number of craftable items and loot drops are 5% rolls no matter what you try to add to them in the enchantment basin. If I had to hazard a guess, devs didn't/don't want the custom crafting system being tweaked by enchanters without a lot of extra (gold) investment.

This does, however, mean that if you find a crafter to work with jointly, that you can charge ridiculously outlandish amounts of gold for enchanter-customized crafted gear, and split the profits.
Bane's tyranny is known throughout the continent, and his is the image most seen as the face of evil.
-Faiths and Pantheons (c)2002

Child of Maragaram

Post by Child of Maragaram » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:27 pm

Hm. That makes sense, I guess. Although not so much in this particular case, because I'm trying to create items that will be less useful to my character than what I could make simply by using the enchantment basin on mundane items. Either way, I'm not going to stop trying to enchant the items. It's just going to suck, since the bulk of my character's experience points comes from RPB.

Sab1

Post by Sab1 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:48 am

Makes me miss the melting 20 masterly damask blades in hopes of keen days.

Gods_Kill_People

Post by Gods_Kill_People » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:19 am

Sab1 wrote:Makes me miss the melting 20 masterly damask blades in hopes of keen days.
It can still be done, just harder.

Astral

Post by Astral » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:15 am

Sab1 wrote:Makes me miss the melting 20 masterly damask blades in hopes of keen days.
Don't miss it. Continue doing it just as before. It's not like you cant get addy ingot or a lot of gold in the time window you have until you finish making a sword.
Currently playing: Seth Xylo

Sab1

Post by Sab1 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:43 pm

At about 50k an ingot, you need a lot of disposable income to try this now.