Leveling guide?

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Smelyansky

Leveling guide?

Post by Smelyansky » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:35 pm

Hey all. I'm new to Arelith. Having a great time. I was wondering, what are some places I can efficiently gain levels? I am level 5 at the moment (3 druid, 2 monk) and its taking me a while. Are there better alternatives? What are some places I can grind out for decent exp?

Ozzy.nl

Re: Leveling guide?

Post by Ozzy.nl » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:55 pm

FOIG

This will be the response which is true. The beauty of Arelith is to discover the world. Try finding a friend and level together wil make things a lot easier.

Edit: sorry if I came of a little blunt

Sockss

Post by Sockss » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:58 pm

This sort of stuff is heavily moderated on the forums, but hit up the discord channel and someone'll hook you up!

https://discord.gg/ddbCpRX
Thankfully this team is no longer being used.

Sockss#5567 for nwn mechanics questions.

Maladus

Post by Maladus » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:09 pm

FOIG = Find Out In Game

One thing that can really help at the early levels is not to go it alone. Arelith is full of adventurers who love a good romp to kill stuff. Hanging out in and around Cordor you will often find people setting off on such romps, you just need to tag along. Eventually you will learn the lay of the land and can find the ideal spots to level up.

Love Potion No. 9
Location: Madame Ruth, you know, that gypsy with the gold capped tooth

Post by Love Potion No. 9 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:39 am

*kicks down the door*

Hi friend. Allow me to help you.

For levels 1-5 Surface, you're looking at either...

BRAMBLE WOODS, where you enter the cockroach caves, attack the goblin shaman in the woods, and maybe also dip by the big goblin fortress in the woods. There's also the BANDIT LAIR on the east coast, or the iron mines. At the same level range you can go to Brogendenstien and do their lowbie quest area, but thats suppose to be for midget races, aka, hin, dwarves, and gnomes.

Once you pass the 5th level range, you can probably start looking to the SWAMPS, wander around there and get lost, but be careful because further in you might run into Lobotomized Warriors who are pretty insane for the level, and Ettercaps who have Damage Reduction and will not make things easy for your monk self. You'll want to find the bullywug caves and attack that. Maybe wander up and down the bitter coast if you can handle the bandits there and be careful. The Iron Mines for the Kobold Caves is Also okay at this level.

At about level 7-8ish you can probably start doing WHARFTOWN BOYS, a dungeon/bandit lair fairly close to the old ruins of wharftown. If you party up Wharftown boys is definitely easier, but it's a challenge, and you'll be safer in a party.

I'll provide a full adventuring guide in my New-Player Handbook in a few days here. :)

*Edit:
Because nothing says screw you to a new player than making them wander around by themselves and be frustrated because they don't know what to do and no one will help them.

Welcome friend! I hope you enjoy exploring the server.

miesny_jez

Post by miesny_jez » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:48 am

I think the post made by Love Potion No. 9 above mine should be moderater and cleaned of the FOIG information.

I fully understand the intention of helping new players here.. but this is simple spoonfeeding instead of actually helping and will hurt the new player experience in the long run instead of helping them.

I will try to explain this why is so:

Arelith is a different environment from a typical action-mmo. The Arelith is a RP server and aims to promote cooperation and interaction between CHARACTERS and there is a significant difference between Character and Player who is controlling the character. Interaction between Characters (not players) is what makes the world alive - its what makes our game world "feeling" alive instead of just being a simple set of nice pixels stuck together.

Any character You create on the server and enter the game world is not just a simple mask for the player who sits behind its computer. Treat Your character more like a simulation of a living person within the game setting - with its own personality, goals, background and knowledge. And there is of course no reason why a newcomer to the island should know stuff like how to get to Abyss or where to go!

I know it may sound pretty harsh for anyone who comes to the server for the first time, but believe me on that, it will only make Your experience with Arelith much more interesting and will help You greatly with something which is far more important then levels of Your characters - with getting involved and immersed in the game world.

Now why FOIG is good for You in the long run?

Let us imagine NO FOIG situation
Assumption:
Your character has full knowledge of the server. He/She knows where to go, what to do at all times.

Would there be any chance of making mistakes? NO
Would there be any need of actually seeking help from other Characters? NO.
Would there be any need to speak with other characters? NO

If Your character would be fully aware of what to do at any given time - there would be no need of any interaction between characters. And when the need of interaction dies off we all start to play a single-player game with occasional interactions with others.

Now let us imagine the FOIG situation:
Joe is a freshly made character.
Joe as a new character on the island has no idea where to go. He goes to some place - gets his butt handed to him.
On returning back to Cordor, he starts to ask questions.. where to go/ what can be killed around/ what is needed to be done. Asking questions promotes interaction between characters!

Joe is overheard by Poe - a leader of Bramble Guard. Poe asks Joe to help patrol the lands around Bramble woods - now Joe knows not only where to go BUT also he knows someone who can direct him later on and support his adventures further on.
Poe and his Bramble Guard is involved in a conflict with Banites.. war erupts, Joe can now pick sides go with Bramble Guard or became a traitor and ally himself with Banites against Bramble Guard and serve as Banites secret agent within Bramble Guard ranks.
THIS IS A STORY which can go on and on and keep Joe occupied for the remainder of his arelith life.. will he become a hero or a master villain? And all of that only because Joe did not know where to go and started asking questions!

I hope You see where I am going with this.
FOIG helped Joe to actually progress.
FOIG allowed You to get involved and make unique stories within the Arelith enviroment

Character LVL is a lie, what is important is who You know, who knows You and what can Your character get out of it.

I am an experienced player in Arelith, been here a very long time already (not longest) and essentially travelled the served back and forth many times on many characters.
But every time when I meet a NEW player.. I envy You guys. I envy that You can actually be truly not knowing and have genuine true reactions then only pretend Your characters reactions. Don't spoil it for Yourself and use FOIG as a shield for Your own pleasure of playing - because thats what it is.

JediMindTrix

Post by JediMindTrix » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:54 am

I think you should lighten up.

Kalimere

Post by Kalimere » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:15 am

JediMindTrix wrote:I think you should lighten up.
+1
"I'm not grim."
~Andrej Cooper

".....Mostly."
~Also Andrej Cooper

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:19 am

Character LVL is a lie, what is important is who You know, who knows You and what can Your character get out of it.
Alternatively, let people play the game the way they like. Some people like to level up quickly.

Ozzy.nl

Post by Ozzy.nl » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:49 am

Actually he is right.
That said we all had to bite trough it and start somewhere. And how many of us have been going to the forums and back in Jj his day we would all be shot down for OOC info like where to level. This when we where still new was FOIG and be honest we in the end we had something to be happy about when we discovered something on our own.

So I can only agree

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:51 am

Players can decide not to look up spoilers if they want, if someone is here asking for something that can easily be obtained by asking the right people outside the forum... why gate it? If you don't want the spoilers, you can help yourself by not reading it.
:)

IIllII

Post by IIllII » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:07 pm

miesny_jez wrote:thousands of words OP didn't asked about
ok

Circle Bramble Woods and kill hobgoblins, OP. Get out of there and head north (Arcane Tower and beyond) once you hit level 7. Party with people too, gives more exp.

Was that really so hard to give to a newbie? FFS.

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:25 pm

I'd recommend the Iron mines over bramble woods TBH, those hobgoblins can crit hard enough to 1shot some low level builds, and there's often high-level traffic through bramble woods.

Griefmaker

Post by Griefmaker » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:24 pm

Thank you Love Potion #9 for replying, since I could not at the time. I agree with the thought that nothing gives a middle finger more to someone, especially a NEW player to the server, than to pull the whole retarded FOIG card when it is not warranted when they are asking for information that is most likely make or break for their enjoyment of the server. Something I am willing to wager most learned likely through asking OOCly themselves when they first came...and probably still do.

To the OP, another area to consider in the lower levels is the eastern coast just north of the iron mines. Bandit hunting is something always appreciated by everyone (because who does not like to see the scalps and impaled heads of dead bandits?) and can be profitable to boot!

WhiskeyGuy

Post by WhiskeyGuy » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:36 pm

Funny no one mentioned Cordor Sewers.

Commie

Post by Commie » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:59 pm

Leveled a few characters now, sewers are skippable unless you're solo (which I never do at low levels), you can go straight to the Bramble.

There's also the Cordor Graveyard which has undead and some annoying traps.

Seven Sons of Sin

Post by Seven Sons of Sin » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:09 pm

I always thought the bandit hideout in the sewers > bramble woods.

Also, I think encouraging information about dungeons and zones for low level adventures (1-10) should be more widely available. Cordor is a starter city. It should be hand holding. Keep the Surface sever obscure and shrouded in mystery. We can have our FOIG and our "here's whatcha wanna know!" in the same ecosystem.

What we should never disclose is what I would argue is not "public knowledge" - whether that be specific tactics, secret doors/routes, tricks, etc.

For people who've been playing for more than a year (which is many of us), we've seen every dungeon a hundred times. It's hard to keep up the sensitivity of "rp for more."
Previous:
Oskarr of Procampur, Ro Irokon, Nahal Azyen, Nelehein Afsana (of Impiltur), Vencenti Medici, Nizram ali Balazdam, (Roznik) Naethandreil

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:31 pm

I've been asked to edit a post above due to FOIG. I considered this a bit and decided against it. This is a bit of an odd situation but I think my stance is this.

I want to give a little extra aid and encouragement to new players, especially very new players. Running somewhere higher level than you expect and immedatly dying is not fun, nor is it encouraging. So I'm happy for some limited information to be given out to help.

However.

After a certain point, after a certain amount of time on this server, it is to be hoped that they will have roleplayed with others, made connections, made friends and be willing to discover this information not through OOC channels, but IC ones.

So I'm going to ask that posters on the forums try not to give out grinding information here above, at lt most, level 10ish. I know this won't stop new players finding out elsewhere, but that's on them.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

Smelyansky

Post by Smelyansky » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:50 pm

Thanks guys. Didn't mean to annoy anyone, I just wanted to level up so that when I go rp with people I'm not outleveled so that I can get some exp in parties.

Liareth
General Admin
General Admin

Post by Liareth » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:01 pm

Welcome to Arelith! You definitely didn't annoy anyone and I hope the debates above haven't put you off. Arelith caters to a wide variety of players, each of whom have their own styles of play. As seen in this thread, out of game communication can sometimes exacerbate these style clashes.

Cerk Evermoore

Post by Cerk Evermoore » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:02 pm

I remember the first time I played on Arelith I ran out into the forest and died like 10 times to badgers not knowing how to play.

Xerah

Post by Xerah » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:20 pm

My account is old on here, but I really only started playing about 6 months ago. I found it really hard to find where to go (example, my character never went into the Brambles because there was a sign out front that said underdarkers were in there).

Some of the areas are not that obvious of where to go unless you ask other characters (which even when new seem to know where to go?? How is that??) for example, the Wharftown Boys was hard to find.

I didn't have the greatest play time, so finding someone around my level wasn't very easy (or the ones I found kept disappearing!). As a new player to Arelith (or any PW), you always have the feeling that everyone around is max level. I personally don't get any enjoyment wandering around aimlessly but those that do can just ignore the spoilers.

There was a thread complaining about the nerfed orclands and that gave me a lot of information on where to go from there (even in the middle levels) which helped a lot. A level 10 guide would likewise be nice.
Katernin Bersk, Chancellor of Divination; Kerri Amblecrown, Paladin of Milil; Xull'kacha Auvry'rae, Redcap Fey-pacted; Sadia yr Thuravya el Bhirax, Priestess of Umberlee; Lissa Whitehorn, Archmage of Artifice

Voidstone Roulette

Post by Voidstone Roulette » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:02 pm

Grinding Guide

3-4 Sewers if UD, (Bramblewoods if Surface)
4-7 Bonefields if UD, (Bramblewoods if Surface)
7-10 Stingers if UD, (Coastal Pirates, if Surface)

[edited by Dunshine, as said by Grumpy above, some initial tips for new players, fine, the rest of it really is FOIG stuff]
0 Bonus: Does not stay in character, rushes around from spawn to spawn killing things with little to no interaction.

liver and bones

Post by liver and bones » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:34 pm

Voidstone Roulette wrote:Grinding Guide

3-4 Sewers if UD, (Bramblewoods if Surface)
4-7 Bonefields if UD, (Bramblewoods if Surface)
There's a slime temple? :o

Voidstone Roulette

Post by Voidstone Roulette » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:38 pm

Yes, Bottom right corner of Beneath the Heights (The transition nearest the Ogrillion Boss) will take you to the back door. You can also go in the front from the Peninsula (Drider) area.
0 Bonus: Does not stay in character, rushes around from spawn to spawn killing things with little to no interaction.