Wait time on remake and looting

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Jayim Duinara

Wait time on remake and looting

Post by Jayim Duinara » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:07 pm

Hello all,

I'm brand-new to NWN multiplayer. The single player game has been one of my favorites for several years now.

Anyway, I made a character and jumped into Arelith to see what it was like. I decided to remake my character now that I have a somewhat better idea of what is going on. I was in Cordor when I deleted him, do I just need the Cities & Plains server to restart? or do they both need to restart?

-----

Second question concerns looting. Like I said, I come straight from the single player, where everything you see is free game and all containers are just waiting to be opened.

Well, there are a lot of containers all over the city, but I have not the faintest clue how to comport myself in a multi-player setting, and since I play a lawful-good character, frankly I'm scared to touch or even look at anything.

Should I assume that the only things I can lawfully obtain are drops from monsters that I have personally slain? Do NPCs care if I look at their bookcases? can I 'borrow' a goblin phrasebook from the magic shop? It may not be dignified, but if something is in a trashbin, does that mean no one else wants it? What about those farms in the Northern Outskirts of Cordor? Is a poor person allowed to glean some fruit? or will Farmer Maggot sick his dogs on me?

In the absence of quests, I'm a little worried about starving to death. I have a latency of 700-900 ms with frequent disconnects, and fighting is... not easy. Humiliating, but I died at lvl3 to one of the rats in the sewer because I couldn't attack.

Jayim Duinara

DarkDreamer
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Re: Wait time on remake and looting

Post by DarkDreamer » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:59 pm

This is a good section to look at and read carefully - http://wiki.arelith.com/Rules#RULE_3:_N ... sive_Theft

I would wait for a full reset.

Bookcases, crates, trash bins or donation chests are free game, pickpocketing and stealing from players is once per day.

Iceborn

Post by Iceborn » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:44 pm

Honestly, if you were to see somebody going by the street opening every barrel and crate, you would raise an eyebrow.
But we live in the wonderful world of the narrative, where your paladin can do so with different pretenses anyway! Such as:
*Inspecting trade containers, searching for smuggled goods or illegal substances!
*Being a hopeless kleptomaniac that just CANNOT STOP from checking every possible little thing!
*Looking for your drunk friend that sometimes is known to sleep in those crates!
*Searching for your fix of illegally smuggled substances (paladins see some troubling stuff, yo, they need their fix as much as anybody else).

If you can come up with a reasoning to do it that makes sense, by all means, do it.
As far as the rules go, you can do whatever the hell you want as long as it is not owned by another player (which only comes to question if you are breaking into their homes, which is very hard). In which case, you can only steal one item per player every 24 RL hours.
Misc Changes, with the Feats and Skills sublinks.
Available races
Spell Changes
Class Mechanics
Command Guide

Take a look before asking your questions!

Black Wendigo

Post by Black Wendigo » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:43 am

It may look wierd for people to go around opening every barrel and crate and whatnot it's actually not uncommon to see that. As was said it's all free game. What's not is stealing from playe owned containers: specifically play chests in thier owned quarters, as well as pickpocketing them. The rules tell you exactly how to do this and they are pretty easy to follow. When in doubt ask a player or a DM and we will help you out.

THe one thing to remember in a multiplayer game is this: Players are not NPCs. SO you have to think about what you do to a PC . MY rule of thumb? If I wouldn't wantsomeone to do it to me, then I don't do it to a PC.

Also this is a full PVP server. Meaning PVp can happen just about any time any where, but it needs to be justified by RP. The rules spell this out as well.