Why is Horse Riding a reward?

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Cybernet21

Why is Horse Riding a reward?

Post by Cybernet21 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:37 am

Basically the title,why is it a reward? To stop people from fighting on horses all the time?Or from having city areas like Cordor clogged with horses?

If so why was it decided to be a reward rather than make the ability to fight on them a reward(or only those that have spent like 20 skill ranks on ride) and/or making a few areas impossible to get with horses (like the person is unable to go to the Loading Screen after Cordor's gates with a horse,only if they are on foot they can load in),because on Arelith people riding horses should be pretty common(lore wise)
My family were all knights,but none protected those who cannot fight for themselves.They all cared about their noble status more than anything else.I would be a true knight,i would train on the ways of the paladin -Arcavius Ryde

Kalimere

Re: Why is Horse Riding a reward?

Post by Kalimere » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:09 am

If I recall correctly, the ability to use horses is a reward because horses can cause bad lag for the server in large numbers, so it makes them available with a fairly common award, but not so available that it will cause server performance issues.
"I'm not grim."
~Andrej Cooper

".....Mostly."
~Also Andrej Cooper

Cybernet21

Post by Cybernet21 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:01 am

Kalimere wrote:If I recall correctly, the ability to use horses is a reward because horses can cause bad lag for the server in large numbers, so it makes them available with a fairly common award, but not so available that it will cause server performance issues.
Oh if that's it i totally understand,but wasn't this decided a while back when the server was a bit worse in question of when it lags(it takes a lot more now)?
My family were all knights,but none protected those who cannot fight for themselves.They all cared about their noble status more than anything else.I would be a true knight,i would train on the ways of the paladin -Arcavius Ryde

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:13 am

FPS drops lag, not net lag.
:)

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:16 am

And even with the limited horses we have right now it's really frustrating when they constantly clog up server transitions or are left in awkward locations. If this is any indicator of how an even larger crowd would deal with horses I definitely don't want to see that day come.