Kensai Update

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Peppermint

Re: Kensai Update

Post by Peppermint » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:51 pm

Barbarians have downtime and can't multiclass with monk. (Though they're on the list to look at, regardless.)

Black Wendigo

Post by Black Wendigo » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:41 pm

Ever changing is one thing. Constantly changing the entire CONCEPT of a class is another. I am hardly advocating stagnation. I am advocate doing things in a manner that doesn't lead people to take things and then radically changing things so that they feel like they were punished for doing what the server wanted so to speak. (I am not advocating any thing like going back to hasted kensai, and I actually accept the changes), Haste is one of several very powerful things that I don't like fooling with because it can totally change a class's entire concept.

No, drinking a haste potion is not the same. I based my char on what kensai was, which is no more. I can't go back and change my entire char based on the new criteria, because that would make him a whole new char. ( I was looking for a speed based char to match an unarmed gnoll "Open Paw" (monk like) char. Or more to the point I made my char before I built him, not the other way around. Better to create a new char with appropriate class(es).

StealthyKraken

Post by StealthyKraken » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:08 pm

I feel like this thread has served its purpose as to answer the OPs question. Some posts ago, I might add.

Any further feedback might be moved to its intended subforum?
gilescorey wrote:I'm very gay

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:31 am

If you're playing on Arelith, expect your character to change. It's just part of playing on a dynamic server. If you want everything to stay the same, there's always single player mods.

I believe arguing otherwise is a detriment to developer, contributor & DM morale. It's not like they're paid.

Tetra

Post by Tetra » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:59 am

Ork wrote:If you're playing on Arelith, expect your character to change. It's just part of playing on a dynamic server. If you want everything to stay the same, there's always single player mods.

I believe arguing otherwise is a detriment to developer, contributor & DM morale. It's not like they're paid.
Change is amazing, but when an update radically changes a class existing characters shouldn't be left in the dust.

All appropriate kudos to the developers and it does seem like a good update for new kensai characters. But players shouldn't be made to feel like we can't speak our mind on a forum about updates or any other community matters as long as it's respectful.

Dunshine
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Dunshine » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:49 am

You shouldn't feel like that nope. To be clear, we really encourage everyone to speak their minds, if we're not aware of people's opinions, we can't do anything with them.
This is the case for the forums to give us feedback on updates, but also in PM/Mail to the DM team to report ingame issues. What we don't know, we can't do anything about.

Seven Sons of Sin

Post by Seven Sons of Sin » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:10 pm

Tetra wrote:
Ork wrote:If you're playing on Arelith, expect your character to change. It's just part of playing on a dynamic server. If you want everything to stay the same, there's always single player mods.

Change is amazing, but when an update radically changes a class existing characters shouldn't be left in the dust.

All appropriate kudos to the developers and it does seem like a good update for new kensai characters. But players shouldn't be made to feel like we can't speak our mind on a forum about updates or any other community matters as long as it's respectful.
That being said, never expect a grandfathering rule. Never expect a character's build to remain unaltered. Never expect status quo. Entering Arelith should be consistently under the mode of "here today, gone tomorrow." It relieves a lot of tension that way!
Previous:
Oskarr of Procampur, Ro Irokon, Nahal Azyen, Nelehein Afsana (of Impiltur), Vencenti Medici, Nizram ali Balazdam, (Roznik) Naethandreil

Gulddrengen

Post by Gulddrengen » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:00 pm

How about giving the kensai just a 10% movement increase, equal to 3 levels of monk?

Black Wendigo

Post by Black Wendigo » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:34 pm

Don't mess with kensai anymore would be my best suggestion,

As for change: Just because people voice objections to changes does not necessarily mean they want compensation for negative effecgts on thier char. It's feedback and not everything that is done is going to get good feedback, Personally I try to keep my criticisms are constructive, even when they are negative. I always try to keep in mind that I am expressing an opinion, not making demands.

That said it does not help when people try to negate or chide said criticism. It just makes mor bad feelings. THere is a difference between negative criticism and whining.

Astral

Post by Astral » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:41 am

Gulddrengen wrote:How about giving the kensai just a 10% movement increase, equal to 3 levels of monk?

That's what I also think. Apply the barbarian bonus movement speed for all kensai, this way if you're hasted you're matching all other hasted classes and if you're a monk... well, worst case is that the monk is accidentally 10% faster if the bonuses stack.
Currently playing: Seth Xylo

milosr

Post by milosr » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:47 pm

So...

I have a question, is there ANY REASON AT ALL, why a lvl30 fighter shouldn't be a kensai now?
...literally, i can't think of a single reason why pure fighters aren't supposed to be kensais.

...which in essence means that all current pure fighters are essentially inferior to kensai pure fighters. I am really tempted to reroll my lvl15 purist fighter just so I can get that kensai >_>

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:56 pm

milosr wrote:So...

I have a question, is there ANY REASON AT ALL, why a lvl30 fighter shouldn't be a kensai now?
...literally, i can't think of a single reason why pure fighters aren't supposed to be kensais.

...which in essence means that all current pure fighters are essentially inferior to kensai pure fighters. I am really tempted to reroll my lvl15 purist fighter just so I can get that kensai >_>
The only reason I can think of is the items that replicate magical effects but don't require UMD. There are a lot of rings, belts, and the like in the matrix now that have casts of different spells, and you can't use these with a kensai.

But yea, largely kensai is now a reward for deciding not to go for UMD.

In A Motionless Scene

Post by In A Motionless Scene » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:02 pm

milosr wrote:So...

Integral scrolls for PvP like WoF, TS, TS.

Also, unless there's a mundane UV item or potion I don't know about, darkness is going to be killer.

Circumstantial advantages vs. +1APR I guess.
Ingenting förutom ett kallt hjärta som dunkar fortfarande.
Ingen rörelse.
Inga drömmar.
Inget ljus.

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:10 pm

Pure fighters can't use any of the scrolls you mentioned

In A Motionless Scene

Post by In A Motionless Scene » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:20 pm

lol
Ingenting förutom ett kallt hjärta som dunkar fortfarande.
Ingen rörelse.
Inga drömmar.
Inget ljus.

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:41 pm

If you don't plan on using wands or scrolls, I'd consider kensai a direct upgrade.
:)

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:10 pm

For any non-UMD build there doesn't seem to be any point in not picking kensai, a straight upgrade really.

Sab1

Post by Sab1 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:27 pm

Exactly UMD and wands only reason not to play a kensai. Any toon of mine now that don't plan on needing those is going kensai.

Catchup

Post by Catchup » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:51 pm

On a side note here: Unless you are a monk you cannot break the 150% move speed barrier.

Even as a barbarian the 10% extra speed is not added on haste. You simply run the same speed as everyone else.

So to ask to have a 10% move speed increased like barb is simply to annoy your party members when you forget that you walk faster and they have to jog.

Black Wendigo

Post by Black Wendigo » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:19 pm

Monks and monk class chars have been annoying their party members with thier speed for years :). It's something you eventually remeber tod and you get used to that.

Astral

Post by Astral » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:19 pm

Catchup wrote:On a side note here: Unless you are a monk you cannot break the 150% move speed barrier.

Even as a barbarian the 10% extra speed is not added on haste. You simply run the same speed as everyone else.

So to ask to have a 10% move speed increased like barb is simply to annoy your party members when you forget that you walk faster and they have to jog.
First of all, I don't think kensai needs a buff, but if the movement speed was so important to some people (and I cant argue with what makes the game fun for anyone) so a 10% movement that doesn't stack with anything (so if you're a barbarian, monk, hasted - it wont apply) would be kinda cool and will make them walk 10% faster than anyone else which is a tiny but not so tiny difference.
Currently playing: Seth Xylo

Ebonstar

Post by Ebonstar » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:21 pm

But up until now people know they arent as fast as the kensai characters.

My explanation was early training were weighted sandbags were tied on arms and legs for years thus leading to slightly faster reactions and movement when not weighted down. For the last few days, I have had the benefit of recovering from shark bites to explain the slowing down.

But I would love to have my speed back.
Yes I can sign

Iceborn
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Iceborn » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:11 pm

While I will miss my dear Sonic RP, speed is a factor that may be better off entirely removed from Arelith, and I think we should rather avoid handing it around.
Misc Changes, with the Feats and Skills sublinks.
Available races
Spell Changes
Class Mechanics
Command Guide

Take a look before asking your questions!

Dreams

Post by Dreams » Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:17 am

Kensai don't need speed. They have good access to movement speed as it is:
- Barbarians gain 10%
- Monks gain zoom
- Can use Haste potions
- Can use mundane Expeditious Retreat
- Can potentially ride horses

If you want speed, use what you have access to and achieve it!

RP only starts at 30 if you're a coward.

Ebonstar

Post by Ebonstar » Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:24 am

if we were talking about a new character, sure I agree, however we are talking about a level 21 character who incorporated the benefits with the penalties and built a full backstory with that intermingled. of course this is just in my toons case.
Yes I can sign