PvP Engagement

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Black Wendigo

Re: PvP Engagement

Post by Black Wendigo » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:18 am

Leaving people an out is a good way to build trust between players. I am more willing to stick around,knowing that a person is not playing for the win, but instead using PVP as one of many tools for rp. I like it when rp comes out of pvp. (Just so happens this is exactly what happened last night to me and several oithers in the UID when a huge PVP fight broke out, after RP. Now the fallout begins :)).

Jack Oat

Post by Jack Oat » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:37 pm

Shoot them with a bow the second they try to lens. This puts them in combat and iirc they will be unable to use the lens. Even if you don't follow up with more, it's hostile and aggressive.

"You shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free."

Garrbear wrote:

quite bluntly we can't balance the server around people who don't play well

Irongron wrote:

My main takeaway from this is that Jack is apparently personable

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:59 pm

Jack Oat wrote:Shoot them with a bow the second they try to lens. This puts them in combat and iirc they will be unable to use the lens. Even if you don't follow up with more, it's hostile and aggressive.
If there was no sufficient RP before hand, this is a breach of the PvP rules.
:)

Jack Oat

Post by Jack Oat » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:03 pm

Say, "I don't like you." They try to lens, that's an IC reaction to hostile RP.

Garrbear wrote:

Irongron wrote:

-XXX-

Post by -XXX- » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:07 pm

PvP wrote:Combat and Political actions against other characters must be interactively role played.

If your character is killed by another (or vice versa), you must wait 24 real time hours before interacting again.
There is nothing interactive about having your character say a single sentence or do a brief emote prior to an immediate hostile action. There needs to be an exchange between the characters - this ensures that all involved parties are willing participants in the engagement.

The rules appear to lean in favour of the character that intends to keep avoiding confrontation using lenses indefinitely. Maybe a DM input might be good here?

Jack Oat

Post by Jack Oat » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:29 pm

Them trying to use a lens is their end of the "exhchange" if you've already given hostile RP.

Garrbear wrote:

Irongron wrote:

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:34 pm

Some contex will always be taken into account, pvp cannot be devoid of conflict as the situations differ from one another wildly - From two randoms meeting in Bendir, two two arch nemisis coming across each other on the road, to a drow raiding group meeting a small force of surface adventurers in the caverns of the underdark, to a slave meeting a matron in the Hub.

However as a rule of thumb - Yes, PVP should have interactive roleplay. Time should be allowed for the other person to respond. If that means they escape? So be it.
Now that does not mean that the other person can circumvent all roleplay by just choosing not to respond at all! But leaping out of stealth and going 'ullo' then attacking them half a second later does not count as 'interactive roleplay.'
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

Giftstoff

Post by Giftstoff » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:40 pm

What of the person who instantly and silently lenses when they see you? Regardless of your rp, they are not playing ball. Do you start every encounter with; "If you use a lense im attacking you?" Then you can hardly be blamed if they then use a lense and you slap them in the face.

Another example that i've seen multiple times across the server: Person A does everything in their power to destroy the reputation and life of player B. Player B finally catches person A. Person A instantly lenses away, thinking that if they never interact, that they are immune to pvp.

Where is the line drawn Grumpycat? At what point does silently lensing away become ignoring/avoiding rp?

cptcuddlepants

Post by cptcuddlepants » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:52 pm

I feel like players should have the right to avoid some RP if the reasoning is right.

Lensing out of anything vaguely resembling a confrontation? Maybe a little bit silly.

Lensing away from Urgh Bashalot who's famous for his "hello-now-you-die killbash you in 5 seconds or your money back" routine? Different story.

No one should be forced to interact with cheeseballs who think that "meaningful RP" is holding a silent contest to see who can say the fewest amount of syllables before going straight to killing.
Last edited by cptcuddlepants on Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When the going gets tough, the tough hide under the table.

Get Jad's portrait here!

Hin_Priestess

Post by Hin_Priestess » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:55 pm

"If you use a lense im attacking you?"
Starting the RP off like that already sends red flags to someone that isn't into PvP. So yeah, they'll likely lens out. Why? Because that indicates your intent to pwn them, with very little prospects of good RP.

As our DM pointed out, if a player lenses out, that's their choice.
Airean:
I've 99 problems in The Grove to solve, and you Arrinock, aren't one of them.

flower

Post by flower » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:28 pm

I cant see a single reason why a person could not lens away.

It is their decision, not yours.

And I can see even less reasons why you should be angered someone has lensed away (and thus you cannot pvp with said person).

Queen Titania
Community Manager
Community Manager

Post by Queen Titania » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:17 pm

This is case by case, but in general, it's a breach to just attack someone that is lensing out with one line, and it's poor RP to just lense out after that one line. Both parties should move away from a winning mentality, the goal should be interaction and story-creating.

Constant poor RP can affect your RPB, and a breach of the PvP rules can receive a talking to or punishment as the situation warrants.
Please don't feed my sister.

Black Wendigo

Post by Black Wendigo » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:50 pm

Lensing out is not interactive rp. It's lensing out. Tp call such an action interactive for the sole purpose of starting PVP is just creating a shadow rule that does not exist I feel the same way about people who advocate that healing is cause for PVP. It is not a hostile action and no rule says that it is.

Stop trying to force people into PVP. Respect their play-style or they will rightfully not want to play with you. And won't.

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:02 pm

The ruling has been made in the past though, that starting to buff/heal in a tense situation is cause for the aggressor to attack, since it is a response to the threat, and why would the aggressor wait for the defender to level the playing field before attacking?

Just silently healing/buffing up is no less cheesy than attacking someone for doing so.

Commie

Post by Commie » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:21 pm

Keep in mind too, lots of people do not have spellcraft, particularly while leveling.

They might just see you cast and ic not know if it's an incendiary cloud or eagles splendor.

Also some harmless spells roll attacks. Continual flame does a touch attack iirc, so with no spellcraft its just reasonable to assume it was a legitimate attack.

In short, just like real life, be slow and deliberate when tempers are hot and weapons are out.

-XXX-

Post by -XXX- » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:56 pm

Compulsive fixation with killbashing is bad.
Mary Sue never losing is also bad.

Catchup

Post by Catchup » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:31 pm

Lock this please. No one needs to see how bad the entire "I don't like pvp and avoid it lie the plague" and "Pvp is just another thing that happens" split has become.

My advice remains. Don't take things personally and try to enjoy the game.