"Your settlement has gone Bankrupt"

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Diilicious

"Your settlement has gone Bankrupt"

Post by Diilicious » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:53 pm

what in the world does this mean? does it mean the settlement im in right now or the one im a citizen of?

Name: Shanna Waynolt nee Tahir
Height: 5'0"
Weight: 106lb
Hair & facial archetype: Ginnifer Goodwin
Body shape archetype: Example

Gods_Kill_People

Re: "Your settlement has gone Bankrupt"

Post by Gods_Kill_People » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:18 pm

The one your a citizen of, thus the term of "YOUR"

-XXX-

Post by -XXX- » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:25 pm

Elwood's expensive divorce? :lol:

Diilicious

Post by Diilicious » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:38 pm

Gods_Kill_People wrote:The one your a citizen of, thus the term of "YOUR"
id have through so, but i found it weird that it contacted me from the other server to say this.. like 4 times. I had only recently switched too.. so.. there was some confusion.

especially when other people i know on the server inquestion did not get the message i got.
Name: Shanna Waynolt nee Tahir
Height: 5'0"
Weight: 106lb
Hair & facial archetype: Ginnifer Goodwin
Body shape archetype: Example

Sab1

Post by Sab1 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:17 am

Odd thing is Cordor shows having over 600k. seems low for a city that size, but it's not bankrupt,

Gods_Kill_People

Post by Gods_Kill_People » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:28 am

It was bankrupt....Thron stepped in and put money in.

FrozenSolid

Post by FrozenSolid » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:23 am

Paying Khabul for to many contracts.

Long live the revolution!
*Didn't just do that* As an arrow flies hitting someone in the face.

Jack Oat

Post by Jack Oat » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:23 am

Yea someone emptied the treasury, then other Cordorians put some back in.

"You shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free."

Garrbear wrote:

quite bluntly we can't balance the server around people who don't play well

Irongron wrote:

My main takeaway from this is that Jack is apparently personable

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:05 pm

It had been a while since a good Cordor treasury theft.
:)

Sab1

Post by Sab1 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:29 pm

Didn't cordor put safeguards in place to stop this?

I mean you think the King would care enough about his city that he would find ways to stop the city coffers being emptied.

DM Wish

Post by DM Wish » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:57 pm

Sab1 wrote:Didn't cordor put safeguards in place to stop this?

I mean you think the King would care enough about his city that he would find ways to stop the city coffers being emptied.
The leading, elected figures of Cordor are those who the King has placed his trust in to run the administrative affairs of the city and keep it in line with the wants of the people. If things became dire then yes he may intercede however if it became apparent that elected bodies were repeatedly causing bankruptcy and thus causing the common folk to suffer with no funds to pay for repairs, the fees of craftsmen and the city’s guard then his involvement in the affairs of the city may become more permanent and wide-spread, be that by himself or the promotion of one of his advisors to personally take on the role that the elected body once served.

This isn't likely to happen provided the situation is attended to quickly but I would be careful what you wish for in the regard of 'help' from the King and his noble body of resources.

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:00 pm

DM Wish wrote: This isn't likely to happen provided the situation is attended to quickly but I would be careful what you wish for in the regard of 'help' from the King and his noble body of resources.
too soon
:)

Sab1

Post by Sab1 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:49 pm

And I prefer IC solutions. The problem is these robberies imo take advantage of the game mechanics. I do not need to do any rp at all to drain the city of all its gold. I walk up to an npc that can't question me and take all the coin out. Then walk off, without a paper trail. Now I know some of it is on the city, you give 10 people the ability to take out coin, you are taking risks. But the city has no way to stop it, there is no rp or anything of why is our coffers dropping down so quickly. Its just poof bankrupt.

I know there is no perfect solution, as a leader could still take coin out here and there draining the coffers. But at least make someone put in rp and effort instead of ohhh I might lose this election, rob city, city made me angry rob city, I need to roll my character that million coin will help take all at once issue. If leader skims here and there that's cool. You expect evil or selfish leaders to be padding their pockets. But be smart about it and have rp, not simply poof all gone at once.

Then you face (as was common in pittown) the person doing the robbery simply vanishes never to be seen again. Either giving out the coin to friends or vanaishing with it as to never have to face consequences. My issue is being so easy adds little to the environment, except making a town scramble to find coins and forcing an election.

Cerk Evermoore

Post by Cerk Evermoore » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:20 pm

The true evil RP is evil finance minister RP.

Commie

Post by Commie » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:27 pm

Is Cordor 'too big to fail?' Will it be bailed-out?

flower

Post by flower » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:37 pm

My characters played along few of those guys running Pit Town. When you knew you are likely to loose elections everyone in Pit town simple pulled out all coins and became milionare over night...and when / If they retired for a time then they returned as very rich persons able to influence further politic...cause they got these milions to toss in :P :D

Marsi

Post by Marsi » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:50 pm

Sab1 wrote:And I prefer IC solutions. The problem is these robberies imo take advantage of the game mechanics. I do not need to do any rp at all to drain the city of all its gold. I walk up to an npc that can't question me and take all the coin out. Then walk off, without a paper trail. Now I know some of it is on the city, you give 10 people the ability to take out coin, you are taking risks. But the city has no way to stop it, there is no rp or anything of why is our coffers dropping down so quickly. Its just poof bankrupt.

I know there is no perfect solution, as a leader could still take coin out here and there draining the coffers. But at least make someone put in rp and effort instead of ohhh I might lose this election, rob city, city made me angry rob city, I need to roll my character that million coin will help take all at once issue. If leader skims here and there that's cool. You expect evil or selfish leaders to be padding their pockets. But be smart about it and have rp, not simply poof all gone at once.

Then you face (as was common in pittown) the person doing the robbery simply vanishes never to be seen again. Either giving out the coin to friends or vanaishing with it as to never have to face consequences. My issue is being so easy adds little to the environment, except making a town scramble to find coins and forcing an election.
Factions are a trust game, and there will always be a way for people to abuse that trust generously extended to them. Settlement treasury theft is just a very public example. There's been countless transgressions like it only recently. It's up to the faction leader(s) to vet the people they give powers to as best they can. It's unfortunate, but sometimes people perceive willingness to take risks and generosity with empowerment to be a weakness that can be exploited, or they simply want a cheap and easy way to lash out before they disappear -- for whatever reason.

Why should the great bell of Beaulieu toll when the shadows were neither short nor long?

Sab1

Post by Sab1 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:07 pm

My thing isn't people can't bribe, skim, or rob. That fine, rp it, I expect evil and selfish to be doing these deeds. But simply walking to an NPC and taking out all the coin requires no rp and can be done in seconds. The I can give it to pals and never been seen from again. So something should at least be done so someone can't simply empty it all and rage quit thus screwing a lot of players over. Its not about a finance minister being evil or not, but taking advantage of mechanics. At least if its limited to an amount, the city has a chance to rp and act. If the city doesn't pay attention and over a week it goes bankrupt, well that's the cities issue then. As it is now though a city can go from 6 mil to nothing in seconds and the player can simply log.

-XXX-

Post by -XXX- » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:23 pm

How exactly does this influence your character as a regular citizen of Cordor though?

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:48 pm

Sab1 wrote:My thing isn't people can't bribe, skim, or rob. That fine, rp it, I expect evil and selfish to be doing these deeds. But simply walking to an NPC and taking out all the coin requires no rp and can be done in seconds. The I can give it to pals and never been seen from again. So something should at least be done so someone can't simply empty it all and rage quit thus screwing a lot of players over. Its not about a finance minister being evil or not, but taking advantage of mechanics. At least if its limited to an amount, the city has a chance to rp and act. If the city doesn't pay attention and over a week it goes bankrupt, well that's the cities issue then. As it is now though a city can go from 6 mil to nothing in seconds and the player can simply log.
Contact the DM's if you think another player is doing something cheesy, that's always how it is. Grabbing the treasury and using it to roll a character sounds like a cheeseball move and something the DM's might want to take into consideration when looking at that persons application for a greater award.

Sab1

Post by Sab1 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:49 pm

I know it forces and election and people need to come up with coin out of their own pocket. No idea what happens if say the city was bankrupt for an ig year. Its not about my character, it that no rp is involved with doing it. It takes just seconds to do, and imo takes advanatge of an NPC. Just an easy way to screw the city over if you rage quit or leave for awhile and then come back after awhile when people forget. Reporting is fine if they stay. I just think there needs to be something so an issue with an impact of bankrupting a city can't simply be done in a few seconds.

Gods_Kill_People

Post by Gods_Kill_People » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:56 pm

Report it to DM's, they can choose to replace the coin, they can choose to ban the player, they can choose to do a heck of a lot. Problem is, crying on the forums of "it's not fair" is not gonna get them to do anything really.

Mr_Rieper

Post by Mr_Rieper » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:05 pm

Honestly it just seems like more of an OOC move. This happens a lot. And every time, they pillage the city coffers and simply vanish to avoid consequences.

It's not constructive or conducive to city RP, it's just a waste of everybody's time. There are no stories or angles being made from this. Just because some RP was required to get access to it doesn't mean this sort of thing is okay.

People are right to be angry and upset. This isn't the first time it has happened and it certainly won't be the last. And it is a topic to be discussed on the forums, because the mechanics put in place are far too open to abuse. So let's stop telling him to report it to the DMs, and instead brainstorm better ways of managing city funds.
CosmicOrderV wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 4:55 pm
Be the change you want to see, and shape the server because of it. Players can absolutely help keep their fellow players accountable.

Blood on my Lips

Post by Blood on my Lips » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:06 pm

Sab1 wrote:My thing isn't people can't bribe, skim, or rob. That fine, rp it, I expect evil and selfish to be doing these deeds. But simply walking to an NPC and taking out all the coin requires no rp and can be done in seconds.
Maybe there was RP. Plotting with your friends and making plans to steal the money counts as RP. Just because you didn't see it doesn't mean it didn't happen. There's nothing that says the RP has to take place with the city officials.

Mr_Rieper

Post by Mr_Rieper » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:24 pm

Blood on my Lips wrote:
Sab1 wrote:My thing isn't people can't bribe, skim, or rob. That fine, rp it, I expect evil and selfish to be doing these deeds. But simply walking to an NPC and taking out all the coin requires no rp and can be done in seconds.
Maybe there was RP. Plotting with your friends and making plans to steal the money counts as RP. Just because you didn't see it doesn't mean it didn't happen. There's nothing that says the RP has to take place with the city officials.
I'm willing to bet money on the fact that by the time the character succeeds at stealing from the city coffers, they have reached the end of their "story" and are shelved/rolled afterwards.

The only time I can recall where this did not happen was Davit Heth.

Nobody sticks around to RP the consequences, or give any satisfying conclusion to it. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. How many times has Cordor been fooled now? I've lost count.
Last edited by Mr_Rieper on Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CosmicOrderV wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 4:55 pm
Be the change you want to see, and shape the server because of it. Players can absolutely help keep their fellow players accountable.