Disguise questions

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

cptcuddlepants

Disguise questions

Post by cptcuddlepants » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:34 am

If you recognize a disguised character OOCly by their head model, but your character fails to break their disguise, can your character still recognize them?

If I'm disguised, but forget to change my description from what it usually is, is it within the rules for others to recognize me from my description even if they don't break my disguise?

Is it possible to disguise as a slave or prisoner without mechanically taking either collar?
When the going gets tough, the tough hide under the table.

Get Jad's portrait here!

Iceborn

Re: Disguise questions

Post by Iceborn » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:58 am

In order:

1-2) No, that's nonsense. If you can't break the disguise, that's it - now, if the other player is not putting any actual effort to disguise (exact same clothing, and they behave exactly the same as they would do without the disguise), then they are fair game. Recognizing people by the description or the head model is in the vein of recognizing them by the player name.

3) Should be, though since you are playing with a mechanic that is not implemented, it's up to the players to decide whether they allow their characters to fall for the disguise.
Misc Changes, with the Feats and Skills sublinks.
Available races
Spell Changes
Class Mechanics
Command Guide

Take a look before asking your questions!

susitsu

Post by susitsu » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:59 am

Iceborn wrote:In order:

1-2) No, that's nonsense. If you can't break the disguise, that's it -
except What You See Is What You Get, and if you see someone looking the same, a disguise is no longer relevant

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:05 am

There are only so many head models though, so if you intend to identify someone by their headmodel, you'd best be doing so to everyone with that head model because now you've set a precedent.

Sab1

Post by Sab1 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:08 am

As they said if my guy walks about in bright orange armor and says hi I'm Bob. They one day I am disguised and you see a guy in bright orange armor killing the toll keeper. You can say he looked an awful lot like Bob as I made no effort to change my appearance. He even used a two handed acid dripping sword like Bob does. Remember the floaty name is ooc info, so simply changing Bob to John doesn't suddenly change everything. I was a guard once chasing a guy who ran in a building, I followed in and there he was at the bar, same armor and everything, except now he had a disguised name. And claimed ic and ooc I had no way to know it was him. I said BS, you are wearing the exact armor of a guy I was chasing and if I could ask the npc's if this man just ran in, they would say yes. If you make zero effort to use a disguise, then don't expect others to have to go along with it. Simply running around a corner and just chaging your name doesn't mean anything since my character can't see the floaty name.

cptcuddlepants

Post by cptcuddlepants » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:31 am

The armor and behavior part I can agree with. The head model, though? Realistically, it's very easy to change your hair's appearance - wigs, dyes, different hairstyles, and so forth - but it's not as easy to change your ingame head model, which requires DM help.

It almost means that you need to wear a helmet or a hood when you disguise, which automatically raises suspicions about you, which defeats the purpose of being disguised.
When the going gets tough, the tough hide under the table.

Get Jad's portrait here!

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:31 am

You cannot recognize someone by their head model alone. Ideally it is only by a successful looks check that you can definatly know them though if they really have made no effort with changing their cloths or description or attitude at all then an exception might be made. But in such situations we would judge it on a case by case basis
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)