Are merchants allowed to cheat?

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Aero Silver

Are merchants allowed to cheat?

Post by Aero Silver » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:33 pm

My question is, are characters who own player shops allowed to cheat?

I found in a store a +2 piercing bolts named Damask Bolts, and it has 20% Weight Reduction. This is clearly a bundle of Steel Bolts that someone enchanted with weight reduction and slapped the name as Damask Bolts, and offered for sale for over 800 gold.

Is this acceptable, if the character is evil, greedy, and lacks morals and ethics to do this? I almost fell for the con and bought it.
All articles that coruscate with resplendence are not truly auriferous. Meaning: all that glitters ain't gold.

Yellena

Re: Are merchants allowed to cheat?

Post by Yellena » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:38 pm

I wondered that myself many times. I bought items in shops years where it's just IMPOSSIBLE for you to know before buying that it's not what it looked like.
It seemed to me like an abuse of the limited mechanics of NWN.

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:39 pm

If there is something that hints at the item being fake, I'd say it's your fault for falling for it. Though if it's a bronze ingot renamed adamantine without any hints or something like it, I'd be inclined to report it to the DMs.
:)

Dorkas

Post by Dorkas » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:10 pm

You got swindled!

Black Wendigo

Post by Black Wendigo » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:35 pm

No it's not the victim's fault if they got cheated. It's the cheat's fault. That being said I don't see it as a player exploit/cheat so I'd consider it all IC. Your char got swindled and just deal with that IC.

Iceborn
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Iceborn » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:36 pm

If the cheat can be detected ICly by inspecting before buying, I'd say it's okay.
If it's something impossible to tell until you have the item, that seems like exploiting mechanics and should not be allowed.
Misc Changes, with the Feats and Skills sublinks.
Available races
Spell Changes
Class Mechanics
Command Guide

Take a look before asking your questions!

Gods_Kill_People

Post by Gods_Kill_People » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:09 am

Fairly you can be cheated IRL, but your likely gonna make every effort to pay the bugger back in one way or another...such as ruining his business, cornering him in a dark ally and beating him to a pulp till you get your money back, hiring thugs to beat him to a pulp till he gives THEM your money back, going to the guards, or even attempting to resell the item as the fraudulent item.

Honestly, its an IG and IC thing, roll with it.

Aero Silver

Post by Aero Silver » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:11 am

It was detected IC using the Look feature.
My goal is not to troll here. My concern is that there is a big difference between (1) selling Steel Bolts for 800 gp at a store, when a merchant sells them for 450 gp, a buyer ignorance of the market price is fair.
and (2) between what seems to me like a veiled attempt to trick players into thinking that they are buying a higher quality bolts.
In both cases, the buyer pays the same amount for the same product, but the label is misleading.
All articles that coruscate with resplendence are not truly auriferous. Meaning: all that glitters ain't gold.

Gods_Kill_People

Post by Gods_Kill_People » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:13 am

Fairly, evil characters are generally gonna cheat you, you shouldn't expect otherwise. Now, your char might ICly report him to the government officals as a scam artist trying to exploit people.

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:38 am

The most wicked scam I ever saw IC was a random library book enchanted with 10% weight and renamed to "Pocket Xanalress phrasebook" with the exact same description, sold at 10k.

Which coincidentally is why I only ever buy unenchanted phrasebooks, or use a printing press to get them myself.

Umskiptar

Post by Umskiptar » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:22 am

Nitro wrote:-
This really shouldn't be allowed. At least leave some hints in the description that it's fake. Damn.

Astral

Post by Astral » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:36 am

It happened to me before, with adamantine ingot, I never bothered reporting. The next time my character had interest in an ingot, they tested it, found out that it's fake and brought the cheater to the local authorities IC. Worth mentioning that the first player left no clues and the second player did RP like they're hiding something so I guess my point is there ~are~ ways to do it, so long as you make it interesting IC and leave clues in the item's description and/or in your RP.
Currently playing: Seth Xylo

Dreams

Post by Dreams » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:20 am

It's IC. There should be an IC response. If you got cheated, maybe your character will be more careful in future, maybe they'll seek vengeance, maybe they'll try and get their money back, etc, etc.

RP only starts at 30 if you're a coward.

susitsu

Post by susitsu » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:46 am

Umskiptar wrote:
Nitro wrote:-
This really shouldn't be allowed. At least leave some hints in the description that it's fake. Damn.
This.

It's not IC, and everyone saying it's okay are honestly disappointing me greatly right now. It's explicitly something that affects those who are less mechanically informed. When did we become a server that punishes people for not being good at the game, as opposed to just enjoying the roleplay experience?

Oh wait, death update...

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:16 am

Rule of thumb: If in doubt, report it and let the DMs decide.
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

Cybernet21

Post by Cybernet21 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:22 am

I think if there are any hints on the examine button you should do something about it IC

Example:I once saw a "Damask Arrows Bundle" that was actually steel,it had the same description as Damask but there was "Material:Steel" on the description so that should be handled IC

If there are no hints whatsoever it should be reported OOC

Example:Nitro's case
My family were all knights,but none protected those who cannot fight for themselves.They all cared about their noble status more than anything else.I would be a true knight,i would train on the ways of the paladin -Arcavius Ryde

Aero Silver

Post by Aero Silver » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:39 am

Nitro wrote:The most wicked scam I ever saw IC was a random library book enchanted with 10% weight and renamed to "Pocket Xanalress phrasebook" with the exact same description, sold at 10k.

Which coincidentally is why I only ever buy unenchanted phrasebooks, or use a printing press to get them myself.
Do you still have the book? I assume that with 10% weight reduction, the current weight should be 0.6. If it says otherwise, then it is probably fake.

God In Action

Post by God In Action » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:11 am

I would suggest a simple rule of thumb to tell if it's okay or not: is it fun?

If a player is selling a bronze ingot renamed as adamantine without any indicator then the only purpose of doing that is lots and lots of profit. No character-to-character interaction. No fun.

If a player is interactively meeting other players, is RPing being a shifty acting, dodgy merchant, is giving RP hooks and letting other players influence the little storyline, then the purpose is the RP itself. Fun.

Sab1

Post by Sab1 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:56 am

If its a fake then there needs to be a way to discover it, you really think my master smith wouldn't know the difference between a bronze and adamantine ingot? Fake it one thing, but if someone is changing the name and description to trick someone then to me that's exploiting the mechanics.