Permanent Essences.....

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

WhiskeyGuy

Permanent Essences.....

Post by WhiskeyGuy » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:20 pm

Can you add permanent essences to say steel or damask weapons? Very new here, just figuring all this stuff out.

Thank you!

-WG

Cortex

Re: Permanent Essences.....

Post by Cortex » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:22 pm

Permanent essences can be applied to any weapon or gauntlet. They will overwrite any non-physical flat damage.

I believe vs. damage doesn't count, so with a Lesser Moonblade, you could have the permanent essence and its extra damage die, but a player with such a weapon could offer better insight regarding that.
:)

Shadowy Reality
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Shadowy Reality » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:28 pm

I can confirm that vs Damage is not overwritten, which should make them work with most racial weapons as well. (I think you still need to use a different type, however. If the racial weapon has +4 Divine vs X, if you put a Divine essence they will both be there but I am unsure if the damage will actually stack)

Durandal

Post by Durandal » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:33 pm

If you find an artefact with a damage bonus, will adding an essence also remove it?

Iceborn
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Iceborn » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:42 am

As it was said, a permanent essence replaces all energy, non-physical damage - except specific damages (vs alignment, vs race).
Misc Changes, with the Feats and Skills sublinks.
Available races
Spell Changes
Class Mechanics
Command Guide

Take a look before asking your questions!

DM Symphony
Contributor
Contributor

Post by DM Symphony » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:45 pm

Shadowy Reality wrote:I can confirm that vs Damage is not overwritten, which should make them work with most racial weapons as well. (I think you still need to use a different type, however. If the racial weapon has +4 Divine vs X, if you put a Divine essence they will both be there but I am unsure if the damage will actually stack)
Damage is not overwritten between racial and normal damage bonus, they can both be the same elemental type, but, you will use the highest of the two applicable.

For example, a weapon that is +4 divine damage AND +2d6 divine damage versus undead will use the 2d6 without the +4 if you are fighting undead because it is same type and it is higher.

A weapon that is +2d6 damage divine damage and +4 divine damage versus undead will always be +2d6 divine damage against everything, because +4 is smaller.

This is not different from things like +2 AC +6 AC vs dragons. You will not have +8 AC when fighting dragons.

Similarly, on every server I've played on, I'll find an item a developer will have made with something like "+2 AC +2 AC vs goblinoid". The bonus AC vs goblinoid will increase the cost of the item (UMD, ILR, basin prices/success%), but the goblinoid bonus will be pointless.

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:52 pm

Unless they're boots. Different AC types on a boot stack.
:)

DM Symphony
Contributor
Contributor

Post by DM Symphony » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:38 pm

Cortex wrote:Unless they're boots. Different AC types on a boot stack.
The different types of AC on Boots, like other items, are all the same category of AC, but for the boots baseitem, are the dodge AC category, which is one of the stacking item properties like regeneration. This has less to do with boots and more to do with the Dodge AC category.