Scimitar vs Longsword

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Durandal

Scimitar vs Longsword

Post by Durandal » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:09 pm

What makes scimitar so much better? Is it really just because of the crit range? Is it better to take focus in scimitar over longsword for damage? Can I have proof pls?

gilescorey

Re: Scimitar vs Longsword

Post by gilescorey » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:10 pm

http://nwn.wikia.com/wiki/Threat_range

all the proof you'll ever need

Peppermint

Post by Peppermint » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:50 am

Think of it this way.

The longsword averages one more damage per hit (i.e. average of 4.5 on a d8 vs 3.5 on a d6). Early game, when that and your strength modifier of +4 or so is all you've got, that seems pretty meaningful. 8.5 damage vs. 7.5 damage is a noticeable difference.

But late game, the longsword's base damage doesn't scale. Most of your damage comes from modifiers such as strength, enhancement bonuses, essences, and weapon specialization. When you're doing roughly 40 points of damage per attack, one more point just doesn't seem that meaningful. Ergo, anything that can multiply the damage you're already doing is a lot stronger.

If you'd like, have a pretty graph. Numbers are somewhat arbitrary, but the same strength/enhancement/feats have been used for both weapons. You can edit the graph to see the exact values I used.

Aero Silver

Post by Aero Silver » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:29 am

Peppermint wrote: If you'd like, have a pretty graph. Numbers are somewhat arbitrary, but the same strength/enhancement/feats have been used for both weapons. You can edit the graph to see the exact values I used.
Your explanation is very useful. But now that the graph you created shows Sneak Attack for the longsword but not for the scimitar. Is that intentional?
All articles that coruscate with resplendence are not truly auriferous. Meaning: all that glitters ain't gold.

Catchup

Post by Catchup » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:33 am

That's accurate. The actual difference is a bit higher.

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:28 am

Aero Silver wrote:
Peppermint wrote: If you'd like, have a pretty graph. Numbers are somewhat arbitrary, but the same strength/enhancement/feats have been used for both weapons. You can edit the graph to see the exact values I used.
Your explanation is very useful. But now that the graph you created shows Sneak Attack for the longsword but not for the scimitar. Is that intentional?
As long as the value in Sneak Attack % is 0, the value in Sneak Attack doesn't matter. It actually puts in a value of 1d6 by default.

Here's a graph assumming a WM with Overwhelming Crit. As you can see, the damage difference gets fairly significant. It would get larger with, say, essences and more strength and keen and haste.
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:45 am

FYI, better to use 20 BAB for your calculations in that calculator, because it doesn't stop the attacks-per-round progression at level 20 like it should.

The difference between scimitar and long sword is not so great that it can't be overcome by differences in weapon availability on the server. For example, if you're a longsword WM and manage to get a lesser moonblade and use the runic property to add +1d4 damage (after adding a +4 essence, of course), then you're better off than you would be using a masterly damask scimitar (+4 essence damage) with equivalent scimitar feats.

Lesser moonblade vs. MD Scimitar

That doesn't even consider the extra bonus vs. Undead.

And for completeness, here's general crit-immune enemies.

gilescorey

Post by gilescorey » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:44 am

Don't use the buttons on the afterlife grapher aside from haste, it has all kinds of weird quirks if you do. Type everything in manually. If you want proof, compare the two; one with button and one manual.

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:36 pm

I just notice two things that it's doing incorrectly: it's adding only 1d6 for overwhelming critical, and it's adding only +4 if you have WS and EWS.

gilescorey

Post by gilescorey » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:42 pm

It also multiplies sneak attack damage, iirc. It's really bugged for doing a lot of things.

Peppermint

Post by Peppermint » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:08 am

Yep, I don't use that calculator for much for that reason. But pretty graphs!

Durandal

Post by Durandal » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:18 am

If I use a longsword then I will always be worse then someone with a scimitar? :(

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:23 am

Mathematically, yes. But we will love you for your style.
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

Xerah

Post by Xerah » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:29 am

Style points always cover damage per round gap.
Katernin Bersk, Chancellor of Divination; Kerri Amblecrown, Paladin of Milil; Xull'kacha Auvry'rae, Redcap Fey-pacted; Sadia yr Thuravya el Bhirax, Priestess of Umberlee; Lissa Whitehorn, Archmage of Artifice

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:16 am

Durandal wrote:If I use a longsword then I will always be worse then someone with a scimitar? :(
Not if you're any elf or half-elf. Use a lesser moonblade.

pigman

Post by pigman » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:21 am

Go 23 fighter for a +5 keen moonblade correct? Probably not optimal for pvp but for pve would be quite powerful

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:40 am

That's accurate. If you take that many fighter levels you're either passing on UMD or passing on WM levels.

I would actually suggest 25 fighter / 5 WM is better if you were considering 23 fighter / 7 WM. All other things being equal, the 25 fighter / 5 WM would do noticeably less damage against crit-susceptible lower-AC targets, but would do better damage against anything crit immune and against higher-AC targets, but the 25/5 build picks up an extra +3 AC and +1 discipline from just 2 more fighter levels, plus whatever you get from the extra epic fighter bonus feat at level 24. As a side-perk you can also pierce the DR of dragonshapers as well.

25 fighter / 5 rogue would be servicable also. It would have lower damage in PvE against things that are crit immune, though the 3d6 sneak attack damage closes that gap significantly when you're actually getting sneaks, but it wouldn't sacrifice the tumble AC or UMD versatility.

Aodh Lazuli
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Aodh Lazuli » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:40 am

Lorkas wrote:That's accurate. If you take that many fighter levels you're either passing on UMD or passing on WM levels.
If you take 23 fighter levels, you are a paladin.
Sofawiel wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:09 pm
Dont text eggplants.

Durandal

Post by Durandal » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:37 pm

I don't really want to take a 23 fighter levels just to use a longsword, I guess I'll just conform to the rest of the server and use an ugly scimitar. Thanks for the feedback though.

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:58 pm

You can also make using a longsword work if you let go of the idea that your character has to be perfectly optimal in order to be worth playing.

I and many others have played plenty of characters that don't use scimitars, rapiers, kukris, or scythes. They aren't bad, they're just a little less powerful under certain circumstances.

flower

Post by flower » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:21 pm

Unless you plan going one on one in pvp it is pointless. In PVE it does not matter, and when you travel in groups the difference will be insignificant.

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:25 pm

flower wrote:Unless you plan going one on one in pvp it is pointless. In PVE it does not matter, and when you travel in groups the difference will be insignificant.
You say that, but I'll tell you what. It felt veeery inappropriate when a Blackguard scim build was doing as much damage as my longsword WM.
:)

flower

Post by flower » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:29 pm

And? It depends what you aim for, if just playing and enjoy the game or comparing math with other (perhaps bulit to power builds). It is about what everyone expects from the game.

gilescorey

Post by gilescorey » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:30 pm

Cortex wrote: longsword
you deserve everything you got, plebeian

WhiskeyGuy

Post by WhiskeyGuy » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:48 pm

I have looked at the graphs, and I don't see this "significant" difference. In the end, they are actually similar. Someone said, the longsword's base damage doesn't scale... unless I am gravely mistaken, neither does the scimitar?

Okay... here's some math I figured out a long time ago to calculate weapon differences. It's not against any AC, just weapon potential damage.

(20+ (20-Weapon crit range #)) (base damage+ extras + STR mod)/20= potential damage
For a WM
(20+ 2(20-crit range#)) ((base damage+ extras + STR mod)/20= potential damage

To keep it simple, let's use a masterly Damask version and 38 STR, along with Improved Critical

Non WM longsword:
(20+(20-17)(8+6+14)/20=32.2

Non WM scimi:
(20+(20-15)(6+6+14)/20=32.5

Some might argue that is a huge difference, but, it's not. Also, keep in mind this is against 0 AC, so... the crit chance is exactly what the weapon states, rather than going against high AC and getting less confirmed criticals. Also, keep in mind this is potential damage for 1 hit, not taking into account APR and sneak attacks or any additional critical hit damage modifiers.

For longsword with WM:
(20+2(20-15)(8+6+14)/20=42 (the answer to the universe)

For Scimitar with WM:
(20+2(20-13)(6+6+14)/20=44.2

So... is a scimitar better? Well, so long as you are fighting something you can get a crit on according to your percentage, yes. As that starts to drop, so does the difference. Keep in mind, the differences shown are under ABSOLUTELY optimal conditions, which don't actually exist ingame as nothing has 0 AC.

I'm sure some will find fault in my numbers, but, that formula gives a good indication of a weapon's possibility.

Hope this helps.

P.S. There is no way I would choose one over the other based on power alone. It's a roleplay decision, and sometimes longsword is right, sometimes it's scimitar, then again, sometimes, it's a katana (which is better than a scimi by the way at 45 for WM's)

Have a great day roleplayers!