Latest Spellsword Change

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Kirito

Re: Latest Spellsword Change

Post by Kirito » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:33 pm

Okays...

Imbue armour as Lorkas said is effectively a contingency, lasts 24hours (same as weapons) and doesn't expire when resting.

Save DC is 10 plus caster level

Dispel effect is 10? + caster level capped at 20) whatever the normal dispel roll is.

Yes wands work

To imbue weapons / armour equip them and right click, select spell. (You might get an error message, you might not it depends on which side the 2da file is read - doesn't affect the imbue.)

General note, as with what you have already seen. The path is experimental and subject to change. If certain abilities don't scale well (too strong OR too weak) they will be tweaked. The overall idea/theme is fixed though

General note 2... I may have missed some spells, please tell me!

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:41 pm

Can you imbue armour/weapons, then hand them off to your allies? Does the weapon imbue also last 24 hours?

flower

Post by flower » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:58 pm

Then the DC is too high. Rolling every round 1-4 times vs fort 30+ is a bit too much. And i think spellcraft does not count?

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:04 pm

Only a 10% chance though, so more like once per 10 attacks.

Kirito

Post by Kirito » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:38 pm

I'm far more inclined to change the chances of getting the dispel to activate then to lower the DC. Otherwise a high level mage/cleric just ignores it and the ability is pointless.

Opustus

Post by Opustus » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:48 pm

For a level 27 Spellsword the DCs will be 37, which is pretty respectable! I've heard that having too many on-hits triggering across the server might cause some lag issues - do you think this will cause a problem or is the server proof? (I have no idea how those things work, mind!)

Imbue Armor is AWESOME!!! You can keep your character sooo buffed without others ever knowing, so kewl. Also helps lower levels if you don't mind fiddling extra with your spellbook.

I've got a suggestion for tweaking the Imbue Weapon, if this one doesn't pan out. You could restrict it to some relatively low level spells and have them simply cast the spell on-hit along with the new effect. If you think this has any merit and testing shows the Imbue Weapon needs to be tweaked, that is. To illustrate: Horizikaul's boom deals 5d4 sonic. You imbue your weapon with the spell, and the next succesful attack casts the spell on-hit, adding the Silence effect according to the chart. The on-hit triggers only a few times per rest to give an extra oomph, but the effect isn't negligible as it's a sure-hit and has a tough DC (mostly 37). This one-charge weapon imbue would stack with all weapon buffs and can be only casted on self-equipped weapon.
Characters: all poor babies suffering from neglect

Astral

Post by Astral » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:12 pm

The imbue weapon seems really strong. So strong that there's no way I understood the patch notes. It's insane if I did. if I cast melf's acid arrow, as I understand it, it will add 1d4 acid (on the weapon as a temporary property?) +1 magic damage (also as temp property?) + imbue special effect that deals even more damage on a failed save and the damage only goes higher from there if high lvl spells are casted ~and it lasts 24 hours and through resting. it's really strong.

And about the Imbue Armor - Can I put Acid shield on it and the shield will activate only (auto-cast) when taking a hit right? Meaning it's duration will only start ticking upon activation?
Currently playing: Seth Xylo

Kirito

Post by Kirito » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:17 pm

It's only 1d4, the magic version has a lower damage which is what's reflected (immunity is much less common)

This is similar to having a tenp essence on a weapon, but requires a spell and you get an additional effect.

And yes, imbue armour works exactly like that.

Imbue is basically a reskin of temporary essence with an occssional unique effect for the path,

Peppermint

Post by Peppermint » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:18 pm

Yes, imbue weapon is rather strong. We can tone it down if need be. We've a few avenues here: lower the DC, incorporate spellcraft, or make it a % chance of triggering*.

Let's see how it pans out, though. I'm sure Kirito will be on top of things if need be. At this point, it's hard to say.

(* Or something else Kirito thinks of that I don't.)

Kirito

Post by Kirito » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:22 pm

Peppermint wrote:
Let's see how it pans out, though. I'm sure Kirito will be on top of things if need be. At this point, it's hard to say.

(* Or something else Kirito thinks of that I don't.)
Also need to ensure server performance isnt impaired

Iceborn

Post by Iceborn » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:41 pm

On the glimpse, this update seems amazing.
Gotta test it out first, though.
Misc Changes, with the Feats and Skills sublinks.
Available races
Spell Changes
Class Mechanics
Command Guide

Take a look before asking your questions!

Wytchee
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Wytchee » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:38 pm

Am I safe to assume that the spellsword abilities scale with the bonus CL provided by Harper Mage, etc?
Current character: Abigail Duskwood

Iceborn

Post by Iceborn » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:51 pm

Question: the bonus to mage armor is spellsword-dominant?
Misc Changes, with the Feats and Skills sublinks.
Available races
Spell Changes
Class Mechanics
Command Guide

Take a look before asking your questions!

TimeAdept

Post by TimeAdept » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:52 pm

spellsword halfling wizard/rogue/fighter with dual daggers and the lightning pulse effect imbued sounds like the dumbest funnest shit if it works like I think it does, i don't even care how good or bad that build is. I just wanna zap everything near me forever.

Props to all these fast paced experimental changes. I'm ambivalent about the grandfathering clause in general, but there's no doubting that it lets you be much more fast and loose with class changes, which generates new hype and build ideas.

Bjorn Blue Tiger

Post by Bjorn Blue Tiger » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:16 pm

Does the weapon imbue works like, for exemple, a magic weapon and removes all special properties of the weapon? I would say not, but I'm asking, just to be sure.

Kirito

Post by Kirito » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:17 pm

*mutters long string of expletives*

If imbue armour actually works for anyone (should gain an on hit property on the armour) please let me know... it ain't working for my server side test chat but did locally!

(Also, don't bother reporting it doesn't work... I know >.< )

Kirito

Post by Kirito » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:19 pm

Bjorn Blue Tiger wrote:Does the weapon imbue works like, for exemple, a magic weapon and removes all special properties of the weapon? I would say not, but I'm asking, just to be sure.
It will allow 1 other temporary prop err ty

Opustus

Post by Opustus » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:13 pm

Testing Spellsword stuff at the moment. Kirito, which forum and thread should I use or do you want me to PM you?

Kirito

Post by Kirito » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:00 am

Opustus wrote:Testing Spellsword stuff at the moment. Kirito, which forum and thread should I use or do you want me to PM you?
PM is probably best, easiest to find again!

Purplemyst
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Purplemyst » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:02 pm

I know we no longer get bonus from ESF but does this include enchanting?

Wytchee
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Wytchee » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:34 pm

Honestly enchantment is the school best suited for exclusion. You miss out on mass haste and protection from spells, but it's a small price compared to the other schools.

- evocation: miss out on IGMS and darkness
- divination: miss out on premo and true seeing
- transmutation: no zoo spells!
- illusion: no imp invis, shadow shield!
- necromancy: no negative energy, barring vamp regen on weapons
- abjuration: no breaches

Opustus

Post by Opustus » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:00 pm

Wytchee, you can replace a summon with a dominated monster by going Enchantment. I intend to make my Spellsword full INT for various reasons and would've loved to grab Enchantment for dominate spells weren't it for the character's abhorrence of mind control. Necromancy doesn't seem to offer anything beyond the negative weapon buff (currently overpowered), Negative Energy Burst as a debuff, and Horrid Wilting that can be replaced with Incendiary cloud (no save against Blind, what?!) or Sunburst or Stilled/Silenced Great thunderclap.

But I definitely think it comes down to Enchantment or Necromancy.

Wytchee
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Wytchee » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:18 pm

Opustus wrote:Wytchee, you can replace a summon with a dominated monster by going Enchantment. I intend to make my Spellsword full INT for various reasons and would've loved to grab Enchantment for dominate spells weren't it for the character's abhorrence of mind control. Necromancy doesn't seem to offer anything beyond the negative weapon buff (currently overpowered), Negative Energy Burst as a debuff, and Horrid Wilting that can be replaced with Incendiary cloud (no save against Blind, what?!) or Sunburst or Stilled/Silenced Great thunderclap.

Yeah, it's definitely a matter of what you want your character to focus in. Necromancy also has Clarity, which can be replaced with LMB but is the only one of the mage's mind-protection spells that can be wanded, and Horrid Wilting is 1d8 magic (I think the only one). The +15 vamp regen is definitely overpowered at low levels. It's hilarious having it proc off a rat and suddenly be at full health. But I imagine, given it's a fort save, its use diminishes the more HP you have. Plus, our AB isn't all that great to begin with. ^^

Ultimately, yeah, it's a choice between enchantment and necromancy.

Griefmaker

Post by Griefmaker » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:57 pm

Opustus wrote:Wytchee, you can replace a summon with a dominated monster by going Enchantment. I intend to make my Spellsword full INT for various reasons and would've loved to grab Enchantment for dominate spells weren't it for the character's abhorrence of mind control. Necromancy doesn't seem to offer anything beyond the negative weapon buff (currently overpowered), Negative Energy Burst as a debuff, and Horrid Wilting that can be replaced with Incendiary cloud (no save against Blind, what?!) or Sunburst or Stilled/Silenced Great thunderclap.

This is basically what it came down for me too as my spellsword went full int then dex as well. Enchantment has a lot of uses and with the lack of summons, necromancy loses even more of its value. Missing out on the vamp regen does hurt, but that is okay. Being able to mess with minds, enchant items, and dominate is better in the end I think.

Astral

Post by Astral » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:04 pm

Wytchee wrote:Honestly enchantment is the school best suited for exclusion. You miss out on mass haste and protection from spells, but it's a small price compared to the other schools.

- evocation: miss out on IGMS and darkness
- divination: miss out on premo and true seeing
- transmutation: no zoo spells!
- illusion: no imp invis, shadow shield!
- necromancy: no negative energy, barring vamp regen on weapons
- abjuration: no breaches

Well there's no right or wrong here. I personally gave up necromancy, as the character has "no business, toying with anyone's soul or my own" and the spells are all evil for mages so that's what I found as the best to drop off. Enchanting has no epic-spell so it's actually meaningful to take ESF on it and be a master enchanter if you want. I do think that evo, div, trans, illu and abju are impossible to give up and that necro and enchanting are the easier ones.
Currently playing: Seth Xylo