arrow bundles and spells

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Azaria

arrow bundles and spells

Post by Azaria » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:04 am

does darkfire / bless weapon / holy sword and the likes also transfer to arrows pulled out or just temp essences?

caldura firebourne

Re: arrow bundles and spells

Post by caldura firebourne » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:10 am

Bless weapon does, dark fire does not, haven't tried holy sword
Plays as the monster in your closet

Kirito

Post by Kirito » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:10 am

Bless weapon works at least (it also stacks with perm/temp essence combo)

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:56 am

Darkfire and Flame weapon both target only melee weapons, the most you can get out of an arrow bundle (to my kowledge) would be the following:
Apply temporary essence, then enchant 1d4 elemental damage in the basin, then perm essence, then bless weapon, then split the stack to make all the properties permanent.

I think the +5 VS giants essence also stacks with other essences, but I don't have any of those to try at the moment.

Kirito

Post by Kirito » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:27 am

Other way around, perm, then enchant, then temp, bless etc :)

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:00 pm

Yes, got my order mixed up there, woops.

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:53 pm

Holy weapon can only be used on mundane weaponry. That's the reason it's rarely used.

msterswrdsmn

Post by msterswrdsmn » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:47 pm

Flame weapon does not work, nor do poisons. I can't imagine darkfire works either. Bless weapon works. Deafening Clang does not if I recall. I haven't experiemented with the vs. race essences so i'm not sure if those transfer over via bundles. Alchemist fire does not work either.

The only thing I can think of left that might work is holy sword, but I have my doubts about that working.

BattleDrake

Post by BattleDrake » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:17 am

+AB essences do not transfer over to the arrows, they'll stack with elemental but disappear on arrow creation.

Recent Characters:
Aramis - "S'fine piece of art yer havin' there." (Shelved)
Eradyn - Trying to make the world a better place. (Shelved)
[Redacted] - ? (?)
Skek - Happiness in Endless Industry. (Rolled)

DM Symphony
Contributor
Contributor

Post by DM Symphony » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:16 pm

There is a limited number of properties defined in the script that transfers item properties to arrows generated through "unbundling". Right now, they are limited to damage bonus, damage bonus vs race, and I think damage bonus vs alignment.

That allows the damage bonus that comes by default with non-bronze bundles to transfer to the created ammo, in addition to the damage bonus from essences, and the damage bonus vs undead from bless weapon.

Bless weapon is in this case a castable version of something like those giant bane temporary essences, which comes with the game, whereas each of the essences have been built for Arelith.

There are no temporary (or permanent) item property damage vs alignment bestowing items available in the game, and all "melee" item weapon properties that are not listed in the above three are ignored by the arrow-making script on bundles.

Alchemist's Fire, Darkfire, and flame weapon are not damage bonus property spells, like fire essences, they are "Cast Spell On Hit" item properties.

Holy sword has it's own item property (Holy Avenger)

Other item properties (wounding, Cast Spell On Hit, poison, etc.) are valid ammo properties in Arelith, which is why you will see them on crafted/looted ammunition, but are not included in the "make ammo out of bundles" script.

Woper_The_Black

Post by Woper_The_Black » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:00 am

You mentioned non-bronze bundles ? Does it not work with bronze bundles ?
In the above posts it doesn't give any ideas on which arrow type to apply the damage bonus, just perm, then basin, then temp and bless. If you try it with a damask bundle the enchanting damage costs 7k gold ish, so what bundle type is the best to do this with ?

greatfanfare

Post by greatfanfare » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:39 am

The +5 vs Creature can´t be applied on the arrows, can be applied on the bow, but...
since by that time you'll already have a +3 attack bow, and the essence doesn't stack, you get +2 vs Creature.

Which isn't too bad if you are in a place full of creatures of that type and your ranged AB isn't very good.

DM Symphony
Contributor
Contributor

Post by DM Symphony » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:01 pm

Woper_The_Black wrote:You mentioned non-bronze bundles ? Does it not work with bronze bundles ?
I said non-bronze bundles because they have piercing damage which gets transferred to the created arrows.
Bronze arrows will transfer damages as well, if they have them. Sorry for the vague wording.
Woper_The_Black wrote: In the above posts it doesn't give any ideas on which arrow type to apply the damage bonus, just perm, then basin, then temp and bless. If you try it with a damask bundle the enchanting damage costs 7k gold ish, so what bundle type is the best to do this with ?
I don't like answering "Best" questions, that's an opinion.
As an example of the different sides of this answer, some might feel damask and enchanting damage is a must.
Others might feel for only -1 piercing damage, steel enchants far more cheaply and successfully.
Others may feel physical damage is not as useful elemental damage, and would rather enchant bronze bundles for 1d4 easier elemental damage without any piercing damage at all, additionally freeing them from the time-draining crafting point demands of crafting bundles with damage bonuses.
It depends on what you're fighting, how much you're okay with spending, how many arrows you need, your ability to manufacture or procure essences, your ability to procure or manufacture bundles, and your ability to enchant items in the basin.
greatfanfare wrote: The +5 vs Creature can´t be applied on the arrows, can be applied on the bow, but...
since by that time you'll already have a +3 attack bow, and the essence doesn't stack, you get +2 vs Creature.
Sorry, I don't play on the main server and have never used the racial essences I described, and therefore didn't realize they were AB bonuses, and not damage bonuses. Apologies for the confusion there.

Damage vs. race, such as the property acquired from bless weapon, remains as described.