Windows 10 update and graphics, hooray

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Jagel

Windows 10 update and graphics, hooray

Post by Jagel » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:18 am

Yeah so I've kept the Windows 10 "creator"-update (or what's it's face?) at bay for a couple of months but somehow it managed to sneak itself in while I wasn't paying attention.

Is this thread still the best compilation of knowledge on the subject? viewtopic.php?f=13&t=11053

And would my best bet be to:
1: do a roll back
2. disable auto updates

?

Cuchilla
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Re: Windows 10 update and graphics, hooray

Post by Cuchilla » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:54 pm

Hm. I wonder ...

I always mindlessly update Windows 10, this list show the latest:

2017-07 Samlet opdatering til Windows 10 Version 1703 til x64-baserede systemer (KB4025342)
2017-06 Opdatering til Windows 10 Version 1703 til x64-baserede systemer (KB4022405)

And I never got those problems, mentionned in that thread. I admit I am a computer analphabete.

Aloise "Lois", Biarray "Ray", Uniethrade. INACTIVE: Ivory Bushdiggger DEAD: Cuchilla. Beliat, Clyasy. Cristyn. Fadriatta. Fraya Stensamler (Chief Librarian). Goirin. Greensleeves. Gwydynya. Hilda. Kaxandra. Trista. Willisa.

RedGiant

Post by RedGiant » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:22 pm

I had to rollback and ultimately completely disable updates in an even more extreme fashion than the forums indicate.

As Arelith is frozen forever in DnD 3.5, I am now frozen several windows 10 updates back. I also have radically different home machines with these issues.

I am probably now more likely to be a victim of cyber crime, but I will console myself with the sweet sweet nectar of Arelith RP...until My ISP doesn't get my next payment.
The GrumpyCat wrote:I CLICK THE HOSTIBLE BUTTON NOW U ARE DED!
Irongron wrote:The slaughter, i am afraid, will not abate.

Black Wendigo

Post by Black Wendigo » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:57 pm

If you are lucky enough to own more than one computers, I'd suggest keeping one with updates disabled that you use for playing Arelith and one with full updates for all your personal and private information and things. I'd keep the Aerelith computer physically disconnected from the internet when not playing.

This way you will be safe from cyber-crime without sacrificing Arelith.

I too, have not had any of the issues described while using Windows !0 and Arelith/NWN. BUt it has got me wondering. I suspect that disabling and removing the offending updates is likely dealing with the symptoms and that there is a deeper issue going on. (One that I haven't a clue about.)

Gorga469

Post by Gorga469 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:20 pm

So I just got a Windows update, and the game is completely unplayable online. It loads ok, and plays offline fine, just when i get online, there's a full 5 or 6 second delay between clicking on something and then seeing the reaction on screen. The speed of the cursor on screen is fine, it's just actions and menus that won't respond with any sort of speed. I've been running it online on Windows 10 without an issue for months until this update. I switched to running as admin already, and that didn't help. Uninstalling the update is not an option per the laptop's owner. Any suggested setting I might tweak to get it running properly?
I posted this on the FB group already, and nothing that was suggested worked. I haven't tried reloading the game yet, as that would be a big PITA.

miesny_jez

Post by miesny_jez » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:25 pm

Compatibility mode ? Did You try running the game in that - I always run with compatibility (Windows 7).

Gorga469

Post by Gorga469 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:40 am

I tried every compatibility version. Nothing changes.

Black Wendigo

Post by Black Wendigo » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:36 am

Another thought: This is pretty radical but you could set up your computer to dual boot, Use Windows 10 with updates for your regular stuff, use maybe an earlier version for nwn/arelith. This is not for the faint of heart obviously.

Some elf

Post by Some elf » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:46 pm

Gorga469 wrote:So I just got a Windows update, and the game is completely unplayable online. It loads ok, and plays offline fine, just when i get online, there's a full 5 or 6 second delay between clicking on something and then seeing the reaction on screen. The speed of the cursor on screen is fine, it's just actions and menus that won't respond with any sort of speed. I've been running it online on Windows 10 without an issue for months until this update. I switched to running as admin already, and that didn't help. Uninstalling the update is not an option per the laptop's owner. Any suggested setting I might tweak to get it running properly?
I posted this on the FB group already, and nothing that was suggested worked. I haven't tried reloading the game yet, as that would be a big PITA.
I have the exact same problem with my laptop (I can only play it on PC). It's apparently something exclusive to Windows 10 laptops, so it's a rare problem. I haven't tried completely rolling back ALL the updates, but I'll do so and let you know if that works. I hadn't thought of that (and I've tried literally everything else).

RedGiant

Post by RedGiant » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:04 pm

I have only windows 10 laptops...and I have said problems in spades...and don't really like current solutions. But, if correct, this is a very interesting narrowing of the problem.
The GrumpyCat wrote:I CLICK THE HOSTIBLE BUTTON NOW U ARE DED!
Irongron wrote:The slaughter, i am afraid, will not abate.

Some elf

Post by Some elf » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:50 pm

Please excuse my excitement, but I've been trying to fix this problem for months and IT WORKED!

I uninstalled every update Win10 would allow me to uninstall, including the visual C++ updates. I've tried every other conceivable method of getting this to work, including running in compatibility mode and trying to install Dx9.0c dlls, but THIS finally worked.

I don't know WHICH update was the culprit, but apparently uninstalling updates DOES work!

Gorga469

Post by Gorga469 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:59 am

Windows won't allow me to uninstall that last update. Everything else it gives the option. Just not the main one. Le sigh.