How to survive longer by knowing NWN1 gameplay?

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Magnusc0r3

How to survive longer by knowing NWN1 gameplay?

Post by Magnusc0r3 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:27 pm

Another one, but again I'd like any tips on some things you've learned about how to survive longer using Vanilla NWN1 gameplay, modded stuff, or Arelith specific that would fit any class, just general stuff, but if you have stuff about classes or races or anything I'd love to know that as well. I'm new to Arelith still, i have been playing since like end of 2016 but since then I have been busy mode like crazy and swamped irl and being run down, so didn't have much time to play, but i did take it seriously, I just couldn't play. Also, I had trouble deciding what PCs to devote time to, since it was my first time I didn't want to play all that time on something I wouldn't like, but not I know about the Sacrifice thing. The characters I played just wasn't for me, and I had to many cause I like to build characters and backstories, and everything.

Anyway, I know the game is vast, so tips on i would be too long, just combat stuff I suppose. Thanks a lot. I hope to have time now to formulate some characters and finally play, maybe I will keep the ones I have, maybe not. Veirsei I will, I know.
Some say on cold, quiet nights, if you listen closely, you can still hear him RPing to this day.

High Primate

Re: How to survive longer by knowing NWN1 gameplay?

Post by High Primate » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:02 am

Make friends in the game. That's important. Friends will help you in a various ways.

Carry healing kits, and take ranks in the heal skill.

Beyond that, it depends on the kind of class you're playing. If staying alive is your goal, then choose a character build that is hard to kill, like constitution-based warlock. See this guide for more building tips:

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=9473&p=77415&hilit ... lds#p77415
Some builds I've worked on (not recommended):
Charisma Battlecleric
"E-Dodge Brycer"

Magnusc0r3

Post by Magnusc0r3 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:10 am

OK thank you.
Some say on cold, quiet nights, if you listen closely, you can still hear him RPing to this day.

Magnusc0r3

Post by Magnusc0r3 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:23 pm

I've made many, but I can never remember their names. That's my own fault, but also cause the names are hard to remember. I wish NWN had a in game Friends List, that'd be cool.

miesny_jez

Post by miesny_jez » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:01 pm

You can use the in game journal to write down notes for Yourself... or play windowed mode and have a word document open just beside the NWN window :)

As an advice for the future ... You better get used to the journal or saving Your notes in some other way. Playing on Arelith without taking notes for yourself will be pretty much impossible due to amounts of people, plots and events that are happening

miesny_jez

Post by miesny_jez » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:03 pm

I suggest looking also into this thread for useful tips:
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=7179

Its more relevant to MoD characters but has tons of helpful tips on how to not die

Magnusc0r3

Post by Magnusc0r3 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:58 pm

How do you take notes in game?

Magnusc0r3

Post by Magnusc0r3 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:59 pm

^ I think he Bard option for Warlock got Grandfathered.

miesny_jez

Post by miesny_jez » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:12 pm

Magnusc0r3 wrote:How do you take notes in game?
Open Journal from the menu under Your character portrait (or press "J"), select Tab "Notes" in the window which popped up (the one with the quil and ink).

Here You can write down notes which will be accessible in game.

Those notes are stored in a txt files located in Your NWN\localvault folder with file names as Your character name.
So if Your Characters name is Jon Snow in the NWN\localvault You will find a jonsnow.txt file which holds the notes You have written down.

WARNING:
Be VERY careful when closing the Journal while in game as it is quite easy to corrupt it. The journal is tied with Your character name so any changes to Your character name when the Journal is opened will overwrite the existing files.

Example 1:
Jon Snow (who had some notes in journal).. has used -disguise to name himself White King thus renaming the character to "White King (Disguised)".
Then decided to open the Journal to make a note, but left the journal opened while undisguising himself. Now when he closes the journal all of the notes in Jon Snow journal will be overwritten by those which he put in while he was disguised as White King.

Example 2:
Opening Journal while in Stealth mode and closing it after droping out of Stealth mode

Kirito

Post by Kirito » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:21 pm

Don't explore somewhere new alone
If you do, don't accidently draw the boss along with a minion he's with.
If you do, really really don't get dispelled and your summons dismissed and then get feared, level drained, strengthen drained.
If that does happen don't forget that -pray can really help you out.
But make sure you actually get away...
Don't stay... it only leads to -800xp in 5 mins

I hope you got money

Post by I hope you got money » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:04 pm

-Get to know basic mechanics (if you don't already) starting with how AC works first, then worry about damage, then worry about magic. Playing a cleric is great because you pretty much can go with basic gear all the way through. For example, I'm a level 22 cleric and I still have a regular old tower shield and a regular old morning star. Of course if you go this route, take some time to get a basic understanding of what your god is all about.

-Make friends, and talk to everyone. I know this is easier said then done, because with so many good roleplayers on this server it can be somewhat intimidating at times when you are new to the format. But the best players on the server I have found in my two months on arileth are very welcoming to newer players. That's not to say you won't run into snark, but generally that comes from mediocre at best role players or people at the back of the line behind the plot drivers who find their importance being snarky to people trying to jump in the water too. Just laugh them off, and keep pushing to get involved. Eventually it will become super easy.

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:25 am

A mechanics-specific tip: if using combat abilities like Knockdown or Called Shot, time the ability so that it activates on your highest AB attack. Select the ability, prep your cursor over your target, and watch the combat log. As soon as you make your lowest AB attack, that's when you should queue the ability. These abilities require your attack roll to be higher than your opponent's discipline + 1d20, so to give yourself the best chance of success, you want your attack roll to be as high as possible.

If playing a caster, make use of the defensive casting mode. This amazing mode is hidden away in the radial menus, but activating it will prevent enemies from getting attacks of opportunity on you if you're casting in melee combat. Note that you do have to make a concentration check to prevent the spell from failing. (I played for 12 years before learning about defensive casting mode.)
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

Magnusc0r3

Post by Magnusc0r3 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:55 am

Wow thanks everyone, and yes I will remember about Journal now ^ Ty

SwampFoot

Post by SwampFoot » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:51 pm

Also: Haste. A haste potion can mean the difference between escaping or dying when you find yourself alone and getting pounded. Just be prepared for an attack of opportunity when you use a potion. Wands last longer and don't take that AoO if you can use them. I never go anywhere alone without a means of hasting myself.

Magnusc0r3

Post by Magnusc0r3 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:27 pm

Speaking of which, does Haste increase anything in combat or buff you in any way other than quicker turns?

Magnusc0r3

Post by Magnusc0r3 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:27 pm

I was always under the impression that it makes you attack faster and stuff.

Hunter548

Post by Hunter548 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:32 pm

Haste gives you an extra attack per round, 4 ac, and the movement speed increase. Mages also can cast an extra spell per round.
UilliamNebel wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:24 pm
You're right. Participating in the forums was a mistake. Won't do this again.
Anime Sword Fighter wrote: I have seen far too many miniskirt anime slave girls.

Magnusc0r3

Post by Magnusc0r3 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:06 am

Awsome

Cuchilla
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Cuchilla » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:00 am

miesny_jez wrote:
Magnusc0r3 wrote:How do you take notes in game?
---

WARNING:
Be VERY careful when closing the Journal while in game as it is quite easy to corrupt it. The journal is tied with Your character name so any changes to Your character name when the Journal is opened will overwrite the existing files.
The journal and Miesny's instruction - really good advice!

Lemme just add to that: Just enjoy the game, fill out your in game journal and forget about the file itself. Once you finished playing, find the file Miesny described, take a look at it. Then adjust it for future uses. And: Make a copy of it, and save it where you usually save your other files, I use Google Drive, but cloud files are handsome, as you can get to them from whatever computer with access to the internet. There's your good backup, and you may also save old journals for nostalgic reasons.

That's more or less it.

Aloise "Lois", Biarray "Ray", Uniethrade. INACTIVE: Ivory Bushdiggger DEAD: Cuchilla. Beliat, Clyasy. Cristyn. Fadriatta. Fraya Stensamler (Chief Librarian). Goirin. Greensleeves. Gwydynya. Hilda. Kaxandra. Trista. Willisa.

Magnusc0r3

Post by Magnusc0r3 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:15 pm

Off my own topic, but can I ask one more thing? What is the best spots to RP? I know about right outside the Nomad.

miesny_jez

Post by miesny_jez » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:18 am

Spontaneous RP? (for one which finds You)

For Surface:
I would say best places would be: Nomad, Arcane Tower, somewhere close to Bane new fortress (if You up for that RP :)), Message Board in Cordor, Burrowhome.

For UD:
Portal at the Hub, Message Board in the Hub, Sharps district shop area, Devils Table shops area.

But You know.. the trick with RP is "what You give is what You get" - so if You are just standing there picking Your nose don't expect any character will actually interact with You.
They DON'T KNOW that You are screaming inside, RP please.

Best course is to go forward Yourself and initiate it.
So drop that note under Your character feet with some eye-catching title.
Approach a person and ask for something relevant for Your character or to that person (check their description) - sometimes players leave a hint there which could be used to start rp. Things like they written down they have a scar at their cheek.. ask about it, anything which starts the conversation is fair play.

I will give You an example from yesterday I had:
My character is usually busy as hell.. running from one meeting to another, directing others, acquiring tasks reports.. etc. So when I finally got that 40 minutes of time I decided to go out and kill something (I play in UD).
I started buffing up (my main is a wizard) at the portal in the Hub to prepare for some devil killing trip.
While I was doing that a low-level drow approached my character and asked if I would be in need of some lockpicking services during my hunting trip to which I am obviously preparing.

That's what You call initiative and pro-active RP!

I changed my planned killing grounds to a place which I KNEW had some chests and locks to open and we went ahead for a ride together. Due to his level he didn't have any meaningful mechanical way to contribute to the trip beside opening locks and traps.. but that didn't matter. We talked, my character learned more about him, he learned about mine character and it turned out we can be of use to each other. We schemed together, set up plans and he has joined the faction my character is leading and was given a task which will keep him occupied and drag him into even more into RP in the UD. All of that and a bonus of course of xp and gold flow he would not be able to achieve by himself due to the high-level area my character took him.

That's how You do it in principle. Don't stand waiting that something will happen.. it rarely does. Go pro-active and initiate the RP Yourself.

Magnusc0r3

Post by Magnusc0r3 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:35 pm

Nice thanks miesney will be my go to guide now. I had some other PCs, but I always choose the 10 death permadeath (Mark of Destiny) just to give my characters mortality, I've had a lot of fun with that spontaneous rp you mentioned. On Cydriic, my Chaotic Evil, I was captured by an angry mob of concerned citizens of Cordor right outside of it and only escaped cause I used Darkness, then later I was lured to my doom and almost sacrificed to a Devil or Demon by a Gnome, so yeah he was an escape artist or something, good times. Had an Elf I played, and the other 2 players I played with were Elves, we all just happened to have blue cloaks, so Blue Cloak Elves :|

The Wood Elf had high charm from Dryads cause he smuggled their ritual dagger, it was like a family business or something. But alas, I make all my characters mortal, just makes sense that way. Some characters I make are more outgoing by nature, like the Elf (charm) or my Water Mage, he's all whimsical.

Yeah but you are a veteran, I was just having fun and learning. I often find myself lost, not at first, just eventually lolol as things progress. I did a bunch of other stuff on my retired characters too, but can't remember right this moment. I made a Rock Gnome Ranger that I'm going to take Cleric levels in, who is pretty savage for a Gnome, I can even make trips at night to Greyhammer and back at that level, I just use a Battleaxe.

Where are the Bainites?

Rwby

Post by Rwby » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:01 pm

Magnusc0r3 wrote: Where are the Bainites?
Minmir.

Magnusc0r3

Post by Magnusc0r3 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:51 pm

I'm not sure where that is, sorry :(

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:54 pm

Ask around in game or just look at the map in game.