Planar turning and imps

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Amphioxus

Planar turning and imps

Post by Amphioxus » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:09 am

I heard outsiders add their spell resistance to turn resistance when a cleric with good or evil domains tries to turn them. Does this work for PC imps?

ActionReplay
Project Lead
Project Lead

Re: Planar turning and imps

Post by ActionReplay » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:33 am

Outsiders add HALF their SR against Turning. This is true for Player Imps as well.

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:44 am

Wiki says:
Outsiders get a bonus to their turn resistance equal to their spell resistance, unless the turner has planar turning in which case the bonus is half that amount.
I suspect not too many characters (none?) on Arelith take Planar Turning, since it requires 25+ wisdom and 25+ charisma.

You'd have to do something like start with 18 WIS and 17 CHA (which implies a score of 8/8/8/9 in the others), take gifts in both, add every single ability point you gain through levels to those two, and you'd still have to use 4 epic feats on Great Charisma/Great Wisdom to get both up to 25, then you'd be able to take Planar Turning on level 26 at the earliest.

That kind of dedication for a not-so-great feat like Planar Turning makes me suspect that anyone trying to turn an imp is doing so through the good or evil domains, not through that feat. If it works the same way it works in base NWN, that means that an imp would add their full SR to turn resistance.

Unless Arelith had to do custom scripting for all of the imp turning stuff, in which case it just might be adding only half even when the cleric has good or evil domain.

ActionReplay
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by ActionReplay » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:29 pm

I just quickly glanced at the code to be honest and saw SR divided by 2 somewhere. But you are probably right Lorkas with the above. In any case Player Imps are just nestled into the code there and treated as any other outsider when it comes to Turning. Only difference is Imps getting the new Fear effect on them I believe.

Magnusc0r3

Post by Magnusc0r3 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:30 pm

Thanks Lorkas, for the Epic Idea >:]
Some say on cold, quiet nights, if you listen closely, you can still hear him RPing to this day.

Magnusc0r3

Post by Magnusc0r3 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:32 pm

Maximizing may be one of the most annoying things in DnD, but I do it.
Some say on cold, quiet nights, if you listen closely, you can still hear him RPing to this day.

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:55 am

I really don't recommend Planar Turning to you. I suspect the pool of people who thinks this is a good idea overlaps very little, if at all, with the people who have the patience to level such a weak character all the way up to level 26, when you get the ability.

If you want to troll imps, just take the good or evil domain on your cleric.

Side-question: are druids in elemental shape and shifters in outsider shape affected by the planar stuff that affects imps? (Good/Evil domains, planar turning, planar binding, banishment, dismissal)

ActionReplay
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by ActionReplay » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:03 am

For banishment and dismissal only Imps are affected by it for PCs. If you polymorph into an Outsider I am pretty sure spells such as Turn Planar would affect you in the default NWN way. The Imps stuff is pretty specific for just the Imps. I have not tested this though.