Does leveling get harder from level 13 or is it just me?

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Cybernet21

Does leveling get harder from level 13 or is it just me?

Post by Cybernet21 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:55 am

Pretty much title,it feels like level 13 to 14 is taking much longer than any other level transition,is it normal by level 13 or is that just me?Huh
My family were all knights,but none protected those who cannot fight for themselves.They all cared about their noble status more than anything else.I would be a true knight,i would train on the ways of the paladin -Arcavius Ryde

DarkDreamer
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Re: Does leveling get harder from level 13 or is it just me

Post by DarkDreamer » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:25 am

Sorry but I have to say it REALLY does feel that way!!

Dr_Hazard89

Post by Dr_Hazard89 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:34 am

It does, yes.
Characters: Xun'sali (ACTIVE), Tianae Tymeaneldth (Rolled), Sylali (Rolled), Magpie (Rolled), Ker'uanna Tymeaneldth (Rolled), Lepota Poklona (Rolled), Andariel Bloodletter (Shelved), Tahl'tril Cyredrretyn (Rolled), L'omithiel (Shelved).

Kirito

Post by Kirito » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:13 am

You have to gain more experience whils5 getting the same xp per kill generally... so yes, it does take longer.

Karris the Anarchist
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Karris the Anarchist » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:14 pm

On the upside you should be able to slowly start to tackle more difficult areas, so it should even out somewhat. Theoretically.
That which doesn't kill you, simply makes you... stranger.

Kirito

Post by Kirito » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:16 pm

Oh, the other big reason, is for the first several levels you do a lot of exploring and get a tonne of XP just from walking around new places... after a while you are returning to similar areas and don't explore as much so you don't get that source of XP which will make it feel like you are leveling slower.

Jagel

Post by Jagel » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:31 pm

Also; not all classes have the same smooth curve of power growth. Some classes feel stagnant power-wise for a while and then make a huge leap at a certain level.

For instance, casters relying in part on summons usually feel a great big "bump" once they gain access to elemental summons.

It could also be a matter of seeking out new hunting grounds. And the true and tried (but not always possible) "bring a friend".

msterswrdsmn

Post by msterswrdsmn » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:48 pm

It gets harder. At lower levels, there isn't a huge difference in power between classes. XP is easy to get, and it doesn't take nearly as much xp to level up. Spawns are a little more forgiving as well.

Around mid levels is when some builds begin to develop their builds potential (gaining key feats at level 12, or gaining class bonuses like higher sneak damage, new spellcasting levels, monk abilities, etc) so its difficult balancing critters at times. What one level 13 character can breeze though another level 13 character can struggle hard with