Best place for human "villain" roleplay?(character creation)

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Cybernet21

Best place for human "villain" roleplay?(character creation)

Post by Cybernet21 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:25 pm

So i am starting another toon and this guy is supposed to be a manipulating "villain" my question is,what is the best place for that Type of roleplay,Underdark(Outcaster background) or Surface (no background)?And if Surface is it hard for a normal (even if evil) human to go to the Underdark and interact there without being attacked on sight(with minimum RP of course)?Because i'm sure saying "i'm evil" is not a way to do that.

PS:(Same question if it's the other way around,but about an Outcast in the surface)
My family were all knights,but none protected those who cannot fight for themselves.They all cared about their noble status more than anything else.I would be a true knight,i would train on the ways of the paladin -Arcavius Ryde

DarkDreamer
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Re: Best place for human "villain" roleplay?(character creat

Post by DarkDreamer » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:28 pm

Both sides will have their value, as an UDer you get the chance of joining evil almost right away, Outcast would give you a good bit such as Undercommon for free to help, but no boats or surface properties in exchange. On the surface you get more open RP if your hiding what you are till your a good bit stronger, could join with the Banites and such.

Rwby

Post by Rwby » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:45 pm

It depends a lot on the character, and in the Arelith setting a lot on your Faith?

Banite? Huge, active faction with own guildhouse.
Sharren - Either in the open in the underdark, or covertly on the surface.

Etc etc.

Any character can fit in pretty much anywhere, where that where is will depend a lot on their race and personality. There's no right answer as to 'Where can I go to be ebiles.'

What I will say, is in the Underdark, pretty much everyone is evil. On the surface, RP tends to be, 'Bad Guys Vs Good Guys', while in the Underdark its, 'Badguys vs More Bad Guys.'

Occasionally surface factions will fight each other, and sometimes underdark factions will come together to raid. But those are the exceptions, not the rule.

If Valor Were Inches
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by If Valor Were Inches » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:50 pm

Cybernet21 wrote:So i am starting another toon and this guy is supposed to be a manipulating "villain" my question is,what is the best place for that Type of roleplay,Underdark(Outcaster background) or Surface (no background)?And if Surface is it hard for a normal (even if evil) human to go to the Underdark and interact there without being attacked on sight(with minimum RP of course)?Because i'm sure saying "i'm evil" is not a way to do that.

PS:(Same question if it's the other way around,but about an Outcast in the surface)
Where you start should probably be dictated on what your goals are with your character, and which environment curtails to it most. What is their goal, what will they be doing, why, etc?

I've never played a "villain" that was a human but I've played evil human characters, but the thought process really is the same as it is with any aligned character. (The only "villain" I've ever played was actually a race that should not exist).

Cybernet21

Post by Cybernet21 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:02 pm

The character is basically a Banite who was took from his mother when he was just 6 months old and raised by a Banite cult,he grew up there and quickly rose ranks,then he was sent to Arelith,but not to spread Bane's word but rule most of it ,either that or at least spread chaos and fear.But he does everything to only let his most trusted associates know he is a Banite.

Basic concept that can work for either UD(with only a few adjustements)or Surface ,but it seems Good Guys vs Bad Guys is best for what i have in mind.
My family were all knights,but none protected those who cannot fight for themselves.They all cared about their noble status more than anything else.I would be a true knight,i would train on the ways of the paladin -Arcavius Ryde

DarkDreamer
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by DarkDreamer » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:07 pm

Well the Banites just got really going in Minmir, so surface would be best. For note though just a minor correction, Bane does not do chaos, he is a god of Order and Fear. Chaos is left to Cyric.

Cybernet21

Post by Cybernet21 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:15 pm

DarkDreamer wrote:Well the Banites just got really going in Minmir, so surface would be best. For note though just a minor correction, Bane does not do chaos, he is a god of Order and Fear. Chaos is left to Cyric.
Almost forgot,well then what i wrote but without chaos then :lol:

Sab1

Post by Sab1 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:19 pm

Does sound as if Cyric may fit him better, wanting to spread chaos, keeping who he worships a secret.

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:39 pm

How come nobody mentioned Sencliff?
:)

Artenides

Post by Artenides » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:52 am

Hey a fellow Banite! Come to the surface and meet Oswald! :)
--
Plays as: [No active char atm]
"I am a software developer and a DnD nerd. That means I am equally qualified to deal with bugs and bugbears!"

Aodh Lazuli
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Aodh Lazuli » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:43 pm

Cortex wrote:How come nobody mentioned Sencliff?
Where?
Sofawiel wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:09 pm
Dont text eggplants.

Maladus

Post by Maladus » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:09 pm

For a Banite I would also suggest surface since Bane wants I'm his followers to actively take part in and subvert the government's where they live. Can't do that as an Outcast.

MissEvelyn
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by MissEvelyn » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:00 am

Who?

Echohawk

Post by Echohawk » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:16 am

Arelith Discord: https://discord.gg/mAm8M3T
Echohawk#0623
Availability - Whenever, Sweden (GMT+1)

Stath

Post by Stath » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:12 am

*Sencliffe
Ork wrote: *who filters sexy elven fun times, really?

gilescorey

Post by gilescorey » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:04 am

Careful Stath, or Kuma will start posting.

Cerk Evermoore

Post by Cerk Evermoore » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:55 pm

Whatever guild house an active faction manages to secure from the massive list of afk people, or people who are just individually sitting in this giant guild hall alone but keep it as their private mansion.

Rip all you factions who can't get started because your lore specific guild house has been someones private party palace for the last six months IRL. With no real way of getting in touch with the owner or joining the faction because they are not a guild they are just some person who is enjoying access to seven treasure chests in their house.

OverTheSeaToSkye

Post by OverTheSeaToSkye » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:15 pm

It's the civility and friendly tone I come here for. I dunno about all you guys.
Active Chars:
Lily-Rose - Daughter of the Storm
In'iira Arab'afin - Woman of Many Talents

caldura firebourne

Post by caldura firebourne » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:35 pm

Cerk Evermoore wrote:Whatever guild house an active faction manages to secure from the massive list of afk people, or people who are just individually sitting in this giant guild hall alone but keep it as their private mansion.

Rip all you factions who can't get started because your lore specific guild house has been someones private party palace for the last six months IRL. With no real way of getting in touch with the owner or joining the faction because they are not a guild they are just some person who is enjoying access to seven treasure chests in their house.
If your faction roleplay requires you to have a specific guildhouse for it to work, you might need to reconsider how it's structured guildhouses and quarters are never a sure bet

If you suspect someone of quarterlogging, bring it to DM attention, they can do something about it and have in the past if they find it to be a case of quarterlogging. Granted there's no assurance you'll get said quarter/guildhouse but at least it will be out of the hands of players who aren't using it
Plays as the monster in your closet

RamblerTeo

Post by RamblerTeo » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:48 pm

cerk r u salty u cant join the kool kids klub in minmir :?:
Last edited by RamblerTeo on Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Forbidden

Post by Forbidden » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:49 pm

RamblerTeo wrote:cerk r u salty u cant join the kool kids klub in minmir :?:
:lol:

Magnusc0r3

Post by Magnusc0r3 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:46 pm

Chaotic Evil is more fun as a surfacer that goes to Underdark or UD outcast that raids surface I'm sure. I think you need to be Drow for the latter. I've played several evil potatoes on the surface, if Chaotic Evil you can be a "serial killer" type and be deceptive and secretive and be charming and give people smiles in the day or blades to the back at night. Or you can be a relgious fanatic who is affiliated with a evil Deity or Devil/Demon Worship. Any character can be evil, respectively, regardless of story. You could be an evil Fey aligned character, I mean come on lolol just saying.

Really though, I'd say just be an Outcast, being naughty on the surface gets hard cause everyoneis White Knighting all of the time.
Some say on cold, quiet nights, if you listen closely, you can still hear him RPing to this day.

Tyrantos

Post by Tyrantos » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:48 pm

Surface is a pretty dank place if you are going for the Banites. Got their own place and everything. Even though UD is also great for humans with the Andunor updates, I think that uh.. Some players down there are starting to have problems with the ratio of humans to non-humans. So it can be somewhat hostile.

Dorkas

Post by Dorkas » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:07 pm

There are many places for evil human rp. Avoid the underdark though; too many humans™.

Magnusc0r3

Post by Magnusc0r3 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:41 pm

When I was last playing that in UD there weren't many Outcasts, mine bad. Things change eh? :)
Some say on cold, quiet nights, if you listen closely, you can still hear him RPing to this day.