Rogue Skills

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Rosvopipo

Rogue Skills

Post by Rosvopipo » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:04 pm

Lets talk little about rogues skills, how much you need each of them, is there a max for hide/movesilently like you only need 15 UMD on Arelith?

-Hide/Move silently
-Pick pocket, how much you need this if you really want to focus on this or just go all in?
-Open lock, i guess there is somekinda softmax for this too, or do you need to go all in?
-Disable trap

kittenblackfriends
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Re: Rogue Skills

Post by kittenblackfriends » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:07 pm

Hide/MS, the minimum you want is 26. This covers the ability to hide without buffing vs anyone who hasn't invested in the skill. The max is however high you can pump it, as spells like Amplify and C/C exist.

Pickpocket is vs spot. See above.

OL and DT, you only need 1 point in. You can make yourself a set of gear to help with the rest, since you usually handle them out of combat.
Gandalf wrote:Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love.

Sockss

Post by Sockss » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:18 pm

You don't really need search, or open lock, if you have UMD. (You can grab knock / find trap)

Disable trap is useful to pump, especially in conjunction with set trap - you can retrieve epic traps which are extremely good.

Pickpocket's great for spamming in combat for the small bit extra XP, but there's almost always something better to put the points in.
Thankfully this team is no longer being used.

Sockss#5567 for nwn mechanics questions.

susitsu

Post by susitsu » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:25 pm

kittenblackfriends wrote:OL and DT, you only need 1 point in. You can make yourself a set of gear to help with the rest, since you usually handle them out of combat.
Slightly wrong.

On dex builds, it's good to get 7 open lock to be able to bypass some far more difficult locks.

(In the case of anything non-dex, Kitten's absolutely right.)

SwampFoot

Post by SwampFoot » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:37 pm

There a few doors (not counting quarters) found around the servers that have DCs above 50. These are going to require a modified skill of 30+ as knock does not work on doors. Some items (newer craftables) require UMD 30 (is this base or modified skill?) to use if you don't meet the racial/class requirements.

susitsu

Post by susitsu » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:01 pm

Actually, those have a UMD requirement of 99 I'm pretty sure. You can't build for this. The most UMD you need is 25 for artefacts with class, racial, and alignment requirements. (God can we change that to artifacts already?) Keep your own charisma modifer in mind, it's not just 25 ranks. If you have 8 charisma, you need 26 ranks.

It's also highly advised by some to go for the 25 UMD goal point to avoid being gimped out of your time stop scrolls by a bard's curse song. Although in all my time on Arelith, Ive never encountered this, and bards are bad anyway...

msterswrdsmn

Post by msterswrdsmn » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:05 pm

^ The new craftables have "requires 35 umd" or such in their description. I havent seen anything with a 99 DC yet

Sidenote; unless something has changed over the years, find trap doesn't disable traps; it only reveals them on Arelith.

To the OP
-Hide/Move silently
-Pick pocket, how much you need this if you really want to focus on this or just go all in?
-Open lock, i guess there is somekinda softmax for this too, or do you need to go all in?
-Disable trap
1. Depends on how stealthy you want to be. 26 hide/ms is the minimum you'd need to avoid people without spot/listen. You'll need a lot more if you plan on being a competent stealther, especially since some places like cordor have a hidden -10/-10 penalty to stealth scores

2. You'll want at least 29 ranks or so to pickpocket hostile targets (a dc of 30). After that, it all depends on how much you want to avoid being caught by characters with decent spot scores. Remember; there are 2 rolls for picking pockets. One for detection, the other to actually get an item.

3. Depends. You CAN get away with one rank, but there are some harder locks around the island. Still, unless you plan on breaking into quarters, you don't need to max the base ranks

4. Depends. Do you plan on using set traps? If you do, you'll need a lot of points to recover epic/deadly traps. If not? You don't need a lot, but disabling dcs usually are above 40 in the higher level areas.
Last edited by msterswrdsmn on Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

susitsu

Post by susitsu » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:10 pm

msterswrdsmn wrote:^ The new craftables have "requires 35 umd" or such in their description. I havent seen anything with a 99 DC yet

Sidenote; unless something has changed over the years, find trap doesn't disable traps; it only reveals them on Arelith.
1. Huh...good to know. I haven't seen any of them myself since I play humans. I had thought all the new stuff was being put to 99 DC (like the ranger only armor, for example,) to completely prevent others from using them.

2. You would be correct.

ChrisY

Post by ChrisY » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:11 pm

Sockss wrote:
Pickpocket's great for spamming in combat for the small bit extra XP, but there's almost always something better to put the points in.
Not to mention the animation is really nice!

As compared to player pp, mob pp actually shows your character hunch a little, look around, and reach forward to grab something.

If you angle is right, it can look quite... awkward XD

Sab1

Post by Sab1 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:06 pm

I think the class/race specific is DC 90 for UMD (unless they raised it more) and as someone pointed out in another post:

Theoretically a bard can.

Roughly:
33 UMD skill
3 skill focus
10 epic skill focus
15 cha bonus (give or take a few points)
14 gear (can have more)
---
---
+15 bard song (can get more)
= 90

Huge investment though.

pigman

Post by pigman » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:19 pm

Sab1 wrote:I think the class/race specific is DC 90 for UMD (unless they raised it more) and as someone pointed out in another post:

Theoretically a bard can.

Roughly:
33 UMD skill
3 skill focus
10 epic skill focus
15 cha bonus (give or take a few points)
14 gear (can have more)
---
---
+15 bard song (can get more)
= 90

Huge investment though.

Highest dc i have seen in game had a "extra high umd" property with a dc of 60.
The new runic weapons only need 30 umd i think, and to use any artefact you need 25.

yellowcateyes
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by yellowcateyes » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:23 pm

High UMD requirements on race-locked weapons are, ironically, another reason to play a high-int human.
Dinosaur Space Program is my working partner on Arelith-related projects. If my inbox is full or I take a while to get back to you, feel free to PM them questions or concerns.

Sab1

Post by Sab1 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:49 pm

I know for the paladin armor Irongron confirmed

Only Usable by Paladin, and would require an Use Magical Device of 90 for other classes