Changing some classes spellcasting abilities

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Cybernet21

Changing some classes spellcasting abilities

Post by Cybernet21 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:46 pm

What would do you guys think of this idea:Changing some classes spell casting ability.Like making paladins cast from CHA(i mean it makes sense right?all their magical abilities use Charisma) that way paladins wouldnt need to invest on WIS on top of everything they need wich is almost every otger ability(maybe they just have to have 10 WIS to be able to cast and 14 CHA to cast till 4th level).Same thing with classes like Rangers(spellcasting ability:CON)

PS:This wasnt actually my idea it was Hunter548's idea on the paladins and rangers newest thread of Slanty Shanty,just made this post so people who didnt read that thread to see about this awesome idea and give their thoughts :D
My family were all knights,but none protected those who cannot fight for themselves.They all cared about their noble status more than anything else.I would be a true knight,i would train on the ways of the paladin -Arcavius Ryde

kittenblackfriends
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Re: Changing some classes spellcasting abilities

Post by kittenblackfriends » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:54 pm

I mean, casting with WIS is a reflection of their divine casting. But I agree - paladins being able to cast off CHA, which is what scales their other divine skills, especially their signature smiting, would make sense. Rangers...I don't love the idea of CON-casting, but they mostly use self-buffs anyways. I'm not terrified of ranger DCs.
Gandalf wrote:Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love.

Durvayas
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Durvayas » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:40 pm

Dex casting for rangers. Make the ranger archer the ideal again, instead of the dual scimmy STR build that is the current meta.
Plays: Durvayas(deleted), Marco(deleted), Hounynrae(NPC), Sinithra Auvry'ndal(rolled), Rauvlin Barrith(Active), Madeline Clavelle(Shelved)

SwampFoot

Post by SwampFoot » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:48 pm

I'm actually confused over the dual scimitar builds, rapier makes more sense buildwise.

On the OP: I actually think INT makes more sense for the ranger. While CON is important, INT is needed for those skill points and changing it to INT implies a leaned skill. Con suggests a fat, lazy ranger should be better at casting than a smart one.

msterswrdsmn

Post by msterswrdsmn » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:15 pm

Rangers and paladins have very few spell slots, almost all of which are going to be filled with buffing spells. Is it really worth changing stat/dc types when you get a whole 1 to 3 non-buffing spells per rest to begin with?

Seven Sons of Sin

Post by Seven Sons of Sin » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:21 pm

msterswrdsmn wrote:Rangers and paladins have very few spell slots, almost all of which are going to be filled with buffing spells. Is it really worth changing stat/dc types when you get a whole 1 to 3 non-buffing spells per rest to begin with?
Wouldn't it mean you don't have to worry about 14 wisdom anymore, though? And some of those paladin buffs are pretty essential, less so with rangers.

I think the objective is to alleviate multiple-attribute-dependency.

An alternative would be to give rangers and paladins soft ability score increases, in the same vein as a fighter.
Previous:
Oskarr of Procampur, Ro Irokon, Nahal Azyen, Nelehein Afsana (of Impiltur), Vencenti Medici, Nizram ali Balazdam, (Roznik) Naethandreil

theCountofMonteCristo

Post by theCountofMonteCristo » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:45 pm

I think the first question that ought to be asked: Can the casting stat be changed? Like, can the admins alter the coding for it?

Cybernet21

Post by Cybernet21 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:52 pm

Seven Sons of Sin wrote:
msterswrdsmn wrote:Rangers and paladins have very few spell slots, almost all of which are going to be filled with buffing spells. Is it really worth changing stat/dc types when you get a whole 1 to 3 non-buffing spells per rest to begin with?
Wouldn't it mean you don't have to worry about 14 wisdom anymore, though? And some of those paladin buffs are pretty essential, less so with rangers.

I think the objective is to alleviate multiple-attribute-dependency.

An alternative would be to give rangers and paladins soft ability score increases, in the same vein as a fighter.
Yep,what he said.Also Hunter's idea was also to give them better spells(altough not about wich spells,it was just a passing idea that i want some opinions on it)
My family were all knights,but none protected those who cannot fight for themselves.They all cared about their noble status more than anything else.I would be a true knight,i would train on the ways of the paladin -Arcavius Ryde

Cybernet21

Post by Cybernet21 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:53 pm

theCountofMonteCristo wrote:I think the first question that ought to be asked: Can the casting stat be changed? Like, can the admins alter the coding for it?
Well if not that would be a bummer,altough this might be possible if haks ever come to Arelith

Peppermint

Post by Peppermint » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:18 am

Changing the spellcast stat would be super difficult.

I feel a great compromise for some classes (e.g. paladin) would be to instead give them a hard wisdom bonus at certain levels. This allows them to cast without a crippling investment in an additional stat.

Seven Sons of Sin

Post by Seven Sons of Sin » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:44 am

+1 Wisdom at maybe level 10 and 15, for rangers and paladins? It would mean you'd have to start with 12 Wisdom if you want to cast your 2nd level spells on time, but you don't have to always start with 14 off the bat.

Or, I dunno. I guess if the principle of the idea is good, then it's all a numbers game the devs can handle!
Previous:
Oskarr of Procampur, Ro Irokon, Nahal Azyen, Nelehein Afsana (of Impiltur), Vencenti Medici, Nizram ali Balazdam, (Roznik) Naethandreil

Wytchee
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Wytchee » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:34 am

Seven Sons of Sin wrote:+1 Wisdom at maybe level 10 and 15, for rangers and paladins? It would mean you'd have to start with 12 Wisdom if you want to cast your 2nd level spells on time, but you don't have to always start with 14 off the bat.

Or, I dunno. I guess if the principle of the idea is good, then it's all a numbers game the devs can handle!
It's going to have to be a lot more than 2 wisdom.
Current character: Abigail Duskwood