15x original cost to craft a Raise Dead scroll

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

MojoJoe

15x original cost to craft a Raise Dead scroll

Post by MojoJoe » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:17 pm

Its a bit absurd it costs so much now. I understand you wanted death to have an impact, but all this will do I think is cause people to roll more clerics as well as make people who had an abundance of raise dead scrolls to become filthy rich.

Any chance the cost to create them could be reduced?

Tourmaline

Re: 15x original cost to craft a Raise Dead scroll

Post by Tourmaline » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:59 pm

Why are more clerics a bad thing? I think more clerics with halfway decent RP is perfectly fine especially if they represent a wide variety of faiths.

MojoJoe

Post by MojoJoe » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:49 pm

My issue as someone who puts effort into rping my class is people will just make a cleric and never actually do the faith behind it. I come from a place that gives fallen tokens to clerics paladins and blackguards where they lose their powers if they don't do tenants of their class and faith.

Unless a cleric is committing to subterfuge or their god is a faith requiring subterfuge, they need to wear their faith on their sleeve and not just pick the cleric for lol powers. This is what I feel sorry for sounding like an elitist snob.

susitsu

Post by susitsu » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:53 pm

I mean the job of a cleric is indeed to literally carry out acts of importance to the god's dogma and domains, convert others, spread the word, and convince other people to take actions that could help empower your god through the fact it's an act in their domain at the behest of a cleric.

The major issue I see is size. The staff cannot police each and every individual member of the community.

Septire

Post by Septire » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:24 am

It sounds like you are encountering a theoretical problem of people not RPing their class to your expectations. If it is really bad RP, just report it, but really, players are going to do whatever they want. The trick is to encourage behavior we want to see and dissuade the behavior we don't, as a community.

RPR and DM observation, and players promoting the RP they like while condemning the RP they don't will quickly sort things out. I don't think the cost of a raise scroll or resurrection scroll is going to cause a bunch of bad players to show up out of the blue. Either they're already here and should be dealt with (hopefully, they come to their senses that it's an RP server not a diablo-esque grind server), or you're underestimating your fellow players' ability to RP and are taking a bleak view right from the outset.

It doesn't matter what the size of the server is if the DM team can scale proportionately with the server size and players are trained to become accurate and fair in their reports. Players who aren't problematic are less likely to be reported than players who are more problematic, so it's not required to investigate each and every individual member of the community, only those that stand out. If players trust and believe that DMs can and will take care of problems as they arise, that in itself can be corrective towards those players on the fence about cheesing or breaking the rules.

Tourmaline

Post by Tourmaline » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:45 am

I think too big a deal is being made of a few careless players.

People who want to take advantage of recent changes by playing clerics are more likely to be doing it for social reasons, since it's an RP draw not a mechanical buff. Now clerics will be more in demand for parties so it's a good way to make a character people might want around and who can jump into existing RP quickly.

And If someone's clearly a cleric but not RPing their deity that seems like an opportunity to press them to see who they worship and maybe they'll open up. People do change and a lot of those who don't seem to RP as much as you like are doing it because they're shy and intimidated and perhaps still learning their way around. They're not all selfish powergrinders who don't care about the community-- and if they are, I don't care if they're a cleric or a weaponmaster since they're not much fun to play with either way.

I still think more clerics, especially if they come from more faiths and races and factions, is better overall than say, more warlocks (which I have nothing against, just using them as an example as they tend to be much more anti-social by necessity.)

One Two Three Five

Post by One Two Three Five » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:51 am

^ Tourmaline's got it in one.
My first character was a cleric, because I had read a (bad) FR book with a cleric in it and it seemed cool. But good NIGHT did I not know what I was doing, it being my first rp experience. The people who pressed me on, like, 'hey where's your magic coming from, mister definitely a priest?' were honestly some of the most helpful I encountered in those first stages.

Making the assumption that anyone that doesn't play it the way you want is just some jerk powergamer is super cynical, and not really accurate to my experience basically anywhere except one specific place I ain't gonna name.
The devil does not need any more advocates
Clerics are just socially acceptable warlocks.

Abyssal Wrath

Post by Abyssal Wrath » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:35 pm

Stop worrying about how other players play their chars. If you think someone is doing a terrible job at properly playing their class then by all means report it. But as one two three five said, the Player could be new and just start. Always keep that in mind, there is someone behind that Char. Also, if there's an influx of New chars, that's always cool, as that means people maybe Start New Story lines.

Black Wendigo

Post by Black Wendigo » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:50 am

I might remind people that there is a very big difference between pkaying a clas/race poorly and play such wrong: IN the sense that one is breaking rules, not being nice or other such inappropriate OOC things. To play something poorly is not as big a deal as some make it out to be. One can always help someone having difficulty with a class or race and help them improve their RP. This is not something I feel needs to be brought to the attention of the DMS, as it is not the job for players to be RP natzis to others and dictate what's right or wrong about clas or race RP.

WHat I think we need on issues like this is to give teh devs objective feedback on the results of what they have done. Let them know our experiences without turning it into trying to pass off opinion as fact. If we give them good data, they will then be able to figure out what, if anything needs to change.

In other words, let's try to work with the devs so they can create things we'd rather see or like :). We all have a great opportunity in being able to influence directly how the game we are playing will be developed, so making it a positive experience, rather than a personal one, might help.

Last thing: Let's try to avoid treating Arelith like we would something we paid money for in a commercial game. the standards and expectations of what the players should have is totally different.