scribing/casting raise dead + resurrection

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

SwampFoot

Re: scribing/casting raise dead + resurrection

Post by SwampFoot » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:06 pm

Some areas will have a serious cost deficit to raising someone. Solo missions to the Jarl barely scratch 10k in profit. Split that with a group and using a scroll becomes a ridiculous idea. This is a party ending cost and will likely result in the weaker character being asked to respawn so the stronger ones can continue. If the stronger character dies it might end up a party wipe.

Also, scroll costs already see some ridiculous mark-ups in player shops. That 10k-to-create becomes 15k-to-buy or even higher.

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:10 pm

You said upthread that you never stocked Raise Dead/Resurrection before due to the low NPC vendor price. You can't really make the argument that this change is worse for clerics who want to sell Raise Dead/Resurrection when there was no market for them before and there is potentially a market for them now.

Diilicious

Post by Diilicious » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:15 pm

why cant I?

there is pretty much still no market for them because I can not see any person buying these scrolls at these insane prices, youd need to be desperate... the price could be none profit and itd be too much, it could be halfed and it would still be insane. It honestly feels dirty putting things like that for sale at such cataclysmic prices.

change was needed, as i have mentioned, and as i have also mentioned these prices are far too much.
Name: Shanna Waynolt nee Tahir
Height: 5'0"
Weight: 106lb
Hair & facial archetype: Ginnifer Goodwin
Body shape archetype: Example

One Two Three Five

Post by One Two Three Five » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:18 pm

10K+ isn't that much at the levels you'll 'need' it: that being the longer, more difficult dungeons of the 16+ and epic-high epic variety. Hell, I've had level 10s that can reliably hit 50k+ in spendin' money, even (especially) after the appraise change.

And for everyone else, there's altars.
The devil does not need any more advocates
Clerics are just socially acceptable warlocks.

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:28 pm

Diilicious wrote:why cant I?

there is pretty much still no market for them because I can not see any person buying these scrolls at these insane prices, youd need to be desperate... the price could be none profit and itd be too much, it could be halfed and it would still be insane. It honestly feels dirty putting things like that for sale at such cataclysmic prices.

change was needed, as i have mentioned, and as i have also mentioned these prices are far too much.
None of that makes it worse for clerics. Your posts since the change have been making it sound like you think this is a nerf for clerics somehow rather than a lateral move at best in terms of shopkeeping and a huge buff in terms of your class's appeal to other adventurers.

Diilicious

Post by Diilicious » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:04 pm

erm.. my posts about this issue have really been soley either

1. from a shopkeepers perspective
2. from a low level characters perspective

there was no market for scrolls before due to rampant oversaturation.
and now theres no market for scrolls because of hyper inflation.

if Book of Souls didnt exist, or they also had the same penalty as people do for using scrolls (why they dont is beyond me as its simply a scroll that is part of a page of a book, there is no difference)

there might be a market for scrolls, but when you can go to duergar halls, or even the bloodmoon fort and pick up at least 1 of these books which has 3 raise dead scroll equivalents in it, you've just flipped the problem on its back. and thats not even mentioning the fact you can res people for free at altars.

since ive been playing here (1 year) ive noticed that people have always been like "wah wah clerics dont need this and clerics dont need that and there are too many clerics and clerics are too good compared to X" and now i bet every second guy will be power leveling a cleric because they are now SO important, i expect to see another hyper inflation of cleric character numbers. which lessens the importance of the individual the more of them there are, until they get nerfed for being so numerous.

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:20 pm

It's a bit early to say whether or not scrolls are going to sell at the new prices or not. I for one am holding back and waiting until people realize that a 4x markup at 40,000 per scroll isn't going to fly. I don't often go to areas of such a higher level than my party that someone is guaranteed to die, and the times that I do it's almost always when a cleric is in the party anyway.

OutOfChwi

Post by OutOfChwi » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:15 am

I don't see a problem with the change. The server I used to play on didnt have raise dead scrolls at all or even alters. If you died your party members would have to scour the whole server in search for a cleric to raise you or take the respawn penalty which was much worse than Areliths. At the moment people are probably still stocked up with raise dead scrolls but give it time and there will definitely be a market for them and they will sell for 15k because everyone will want at least 1 back up scroll just in case. The change makes clerics more valuable in a party and stops your average fighter or even kensai for that matter reading off a piece of paper how to bring someone back to life, which makes no sense.

Diilicious

Post by Diilicious » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:39 am

OutOfChwi wrote:The server I used to play on...
how many people still play on that server?
OutOfChwi wrote:makes no sense.
we wouldnt be able to enjoy a good portion of fictional works of things had to make sense,but fun should come before muh realism especially in a game like this.

Anyways, honestly i think we can close this thread now, guess we will just have to wait and see how it goes, I am fully okay with being proven wrong on the things i have. we'll see.

vawton

Post by vawton » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:59 am

I haven't taken the time to read this whole thread, so sorry if this point has already been discussed.

I rarely complain about anything the devs decide to do, because I just rightly assume they know the game and the server a whole lot better than I do. But, it really seems ridiculous that it costs my UMD character 50 points of Piety to use a Raise scroll. It has always been my understanding that whatever divine power needed to cast the spell was put into the scroll by the person that scribed it, and I just use my UMD knowledge to release that power. To me, it's like the equivalent of needing spell components to use a high level arcane scroll.
"Tomorrow's just your future yesterday." -TV's Craig Ferguson

Woper_The_Black

Post by Woper_The_Black » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:06 am

I think the idea is really good, perhaps just a tad expensive in costs and piety.

Dr_Hazard89

Post by Dr_Hazard89 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:18 pm

vawton wrote:To me, it's like the equivalent of needing spell components to use a high level arcane scroll.
Hey. That's a really good idea!
Characters: Xun'sali (ACTIVE), Tianae Tymeaneldth (Rolled), Sylali (Rolled), Magpie (Rolled), Ker'uanna Tymeaneldth (Rolled), Lepota Poklona (Rolled), Andariel Bloodletter (Shelved), Tahl'tril Cyredrretyn (Rolled), L'omithiel (Shelved).

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:06 pm

Locked since the thread creator has requested it.