Monster Policy: Bluff and Community Acceptance?

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

susitsu

Monster Policy: Bluff and Community Acceptance?

Post by susitsu » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:46 am

It is recognized that there are some exceptions due to extensive roleplay in some cases, correct? A smart drow could hide the fact they're not an elf just by wearing a helm and casually walking indoors at day time or even acting as if they're blind.

Svirfneblin can easily pass as gnomes.

And sometimes, the leaders of a settlement have decided for personal, honest, or even biased and corrupt reasoning to allow a certain member of an Underdark race both safety, passage, and welcoming in their town.

I'd like to hear the staff's stance on this with the rather strictly worded reminder being put up.

DarkDreamer
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Re: Monster Policy: Bluff and Community Acceptance?

Post by DarkDreamer » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:53 am

Given that there ARE infact goodly races of Underdarkers...I think there SHOULD be some leeway for this. Perhaps something that can be long earned over time....like just because an Eilistraeen drow is good and has proven so over a decade and you wanna give them some leeway....there should be some okayence to that....now if its the first time your meeting them and they wanna be your BFF....yeah...you SHOULD be rather paranoid instantly!

One Two Three Five

Post by One Two Three Five » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:58 am

I remember way back when, before goblins and kobolds were put into the UD (and for a bit after..) humans (and sometimes elves!) would straight up kill each other how sweet and innocent the monsters were. Please lets maybe not go back to that.
The devil does not need any more advocates
Clerics are just socially acceptable warlocks.

Queen Titania
Community Manager
Community Manager

Post by Queen Titania » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:00 am

Hey Guys:

The Staff stance has never changed, these are the same guidelines that have been on the wiki for years.

Good aligned monsters/drow are allowed with the reward, but they are still monsters/drow, and they're expected to act as if society/NPCs would be very unwelcome to them, and in general they should avoid surface civilization.
Please don't feed my sister.

DM Always This Late

Post by DM Always This Late » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:40 am

DM Titania wrote:Hey Guys:

The Staff stance has never changed, these are the same guidelines that have been on the wiki for years.

Good aligned monsters/drow are allowed with the reward, but they are still monsters/drow, and they're expected to act as if society/NPCs would be very unwelcome to them, and in general they should avoid surface civilization.

Titania always offers the best responses! I just wanted to add on as well!

You can always do things that are "Unique" I can think of a couple very unique characters that fall outside of the standard way of things. But you really need to have a strong RP reason /why/ you're stepping beyond the usual boundaries, like a good aligned drow. That takes some back story etc!

To answer your examples they are quite situational. I think you could expect a friendly poke from the DMs that would likely want to know more about what you're up to, your story, and why you're going against your races usual instinct/culture.

In General though, RP out your character and whatever path they choose. But understand there's consequences (Both good and bad) that can happen for the choices you make IG. So be prepared to roll with the punches. And have fun.
I loved and I loved and I lost you... And it hurt like hell.

Mithreas
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Mithreas » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:47 am

I'd add one more thought.

Why are you doing it?

If you're playing a monster whose RP has reason to be in settlements, why? What value are you adding to the server and its story?

A very occasional "neutral monster" can be a good thing. But as soon as any surface character encounters two or more neutral monsters in their lifetime, we start to eat away at the integrity of the game world.

When playing monster races, I find it helpful to remember that, just as a paladin can happily slaughter legions of goblins, so a goblin paladin can happily slaughter legions of humans. Humans and goblins are, essentially, at war, competing at a species level for resources and space. A good goblin is still likely to be more friendly to evil goblins than to good humans. The goblin paladin who seeks to shelter and protect their own race is a far more interesting character, who will have far more rewarding interactions with others, than the goblin paladin who seeks to join (say) the Cordor Guard.
xkcd.com is best viewed with Netscape Navigator 4.0 or below on a Pentium 3±1 emulated in Javascript on an Apple IIGS at a screen resolution of 1024x1.For security reasons, please leave caps lock on while browsing.

Rwby

Post by Rwby » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:26 am

susitsu wrote:
And sometimes, the leaders of a settlement have decided for personal, honest, or even biased and corrupt reasoning to allow a certain member of an Underdark race both safety, passage, and welcoming in their town.
I would humbly suggest that Wharftown's overtolerent attitude to underdarkers IC is what has lead to it's current predicament. Yes, you can throw your doors open to the monsters. There will be consequences!

Monsters are and should be Monsters. Even a good vampire is going to be constantly saught after and attacked by vampire hunters, in search of a bounty, on principle, because it's fun, or out of fear. Maybe you can convince a dozen, two dozen, heck, 100 people that you're a good Monster. That's not everyone everyone in old Wharftown, or a tiny fraction of those living in Cordor.

Stay away, hide, be afraid. Be disguised. Remember when they find out what you are, 95% of them will want to kill you on sight, even if you really _are_ nice.

gilescorey

Post by gilescorey » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:28 am

Rwby wrote:Even a good vampire
I'm actually pretty sure Vampires are incapable of being anything but Evil aligned in FR lore.

susitsu

Post by susitsu » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:32 am

Rwby wrote:Even a good vampire
ples st0p triggering meeEEEEeeeeeEEEE

flower

Post by flower » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:00 am

Rwby:
unless your deity dictates otherwise (go and be open, and help out).

And people usually dont tend to run their sword in yor belly, when you just saved them, healed them or otherwise helped on road. Unless evil persons yes.

Seven Sons of Sin

Post by Seven Sons of Sin » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:52 am

Good vampires are 100% allowed, yeah?

Also. I imagine the announcement does not apply to Deep Imaskari? Because those are not consider monsters, right?

Also where was this announcement 6 months ago? I saw some crazy tea and crumpet nonsense. I'm glad there's firm lines being echoed here.
Previous:
Oskarr of Procampur, Ro Irokon, Nahal Azyen, Nelehein Afsana (of Impiltur), Vencenti Medici, Nizram ali Balazdam, (Roznik) Naethandreil

susitsu

Post by susitsu » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:30 am

Seven Sons of Sin wrote:Good vampires are 100% allowed, yeah?
*begins hyperventilating*

y-y-y-your r-r-ruining m-my th-th-threeeeaaaaaaad

caldura firebourne

Post by caldura firebourne » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:18 am

Kinda on the same note, monsters, even good aligned ones should suspect a friendly non monster to turn on them the second they get comfortable

And vice versa of course, my gnoll may just be waiting for your flesh to get tender before eating you
Plays as the monster in your closet

JediMindTrix

Post by JediMindTrix » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:55 am

Rwby wrote: good vampire
There can only be one.

susitsu

Post by susitsu » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:20 am

JediMindTrix wrote:
Rwby wrote: good vampire
There can only be one.
I 'was' going to scream.

But you got me in a weak spot. I loved Buffy The Vampire Slayer and Angel.

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:00 am

I don't really think of svirfneblin as a monster race. Their typical alignment is LN (changed to NG in later editions), and nearly all of their deities are good-aligned.

Heck, their settlement is explicitly part of the undoubtedly LG-aligned Brogendenstein.

pigman

Post by pigman » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:02 am

Lorkas wrote:
I don't really think of svirfneblin as a monster race. Their typical alignment is LN (changed to NG in later editions), and nearly all of their deities are good-aligned.

Heck, their settlement is explicitly part of the undoubtedly LG-aligned Brogendenstein.
laurick refuses them passage however

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:08 am

Because in Laurick's and the average human commoners eyes, they are one of the monsters from the underdark. Little is known in the surface word about what dwells below, asides from the fact that the dark-skinned creatures that come up from there usually do so to raid and enslave goodly surface folk.

So while it makes sense that PC's can figure out that Svirfs ain't so bad after interacting with them, it's fair to assume the general NPC populace would be very uncomfortable with them at best, and forming pitchfork mobs at worst.

Rwby

Post by Rwby » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:52 pm

Good vampires are a thing in FR, there was a lovely short story about them in... I forget the name of the book, but it's a compendium of short stories about villians in the FR setting, and the twist was the vampire hunter was an evil self serving assassin and the vampire was noble.

On Arelith it'd be legal with a Major reward - Vampire, Normal Reward, Alignment change, and special Admin permission. Rather iffy on the last part, it'd be up to the powers that be!

Not that I'm encouraging that sort of thing, it was just a generic example that no matter how 'Good' your character is, that isn't going to stop the vast majority of people despising you for what you clearly are, even if you saved bobs life that one time.

flower

Post by flower » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:07 pm

There was a fantasy serie where vampire was not evil one at all and fell in love with vampire hunter, till the moment she figured out whom he is, then pursuited him relentless forcing him commit evil acts to protect himself. But I do not think there would be good vampire on Arelith.

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:28 pm

Here's how I think of the Monster Races.

Imagine - if you will, a high security prison, full of convicted murderers, serial murderers, rapists, thieves, and even worse.

All these people wear an orange jump suit.

One day there is a mass breakout.

If you opened your door, and saw one of these Orange Suited people out there, would you go, 'Oh, just because he's a convicted felon, doesn't mean he's a bad person!'

Even if you did give them a chance, even if they somehow did prove themselves to you, would you expect them to be just welcomed in your town? Would you expect everyone else to just open their doors to these people?

No. Of course you would not.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

theCountofMonteCristo
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by theCountofMonteCristo » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:39 pm

Rwby wrote:...with a Major reward - Vampire, Normal Reward, Alignment change...
http://wiki.arelith.com/Epic_Sacrifice wrote: Only one award may be redeemed per new character.

milosr

Post by milosr » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:21 pm

Just to clarify this:

Duergar are not classified as a monster race?...I remember there being a patch note that allowed the Duergar to enter Cordor and other Surface settlements. A patch which I remember fondly cause on that same day, my duergar came to Cordor as a tourist, to see all the local sights and partake in the exotic atmosphere of a wee trading post in the middle of nowhere.

So in conclusion, Surface mingling Duergar = Legit? (Even if Surfacer suspicion regarding the Duergars is somewhat warranted, due to a hostile Duergar hold on the isle)

Queen Titania
Community Manager
Community Manager

Post by Queen Titania » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:27 pm

milosr wrote:Just to clarify this:

Duergar are not classified as a monster race?...I remember there being a patch note that allowed the Duergar to enter Cordor and other Surface settlements. A patch which I remember fondly cause on that same day, my duergar came to Cordor as a tourist, to see all the local sights and partake in the exotic atmosphere of a wee trading post in the middle of nowhere.

So in conclusion, Surface mingling Duergar = Legit? (Even if Surfacer suspicion is warranted)
They are a monster race still. The last thing we want to see is Duergar and Dwarves at the same table, getting drunk like old friends in Cordor. Duergar are like the prisoners in Grumpy's Quote, and to be honest any surface should think of this quote for any UD race/outcast in their dealings as a good starting point for how they should approach their RP with them.
Please don't feed my sister.

milosr

Post by milosr » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:31 pm

Wasn't there a post by someone in the dev/dm team which classified Duergar as traders that can often be seen on surface settlements?...cause, I'm getting mixed messages here from different staff members.