Greater Planar Binding

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Wytchee
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Greater Planar Binding

Post by Wytchee » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:55 pm

I know that Greater Planar Binding affords two different modes of use (versus outsiders), but I am wondering, do the summons afforded by Greater Planar Binding remain useful in epics?

I've been playing consistently since the most recent summons update, and so far my character is the only mage I know of who bothers with Greater Planar Binding, as anyone who uses it is going to have foci in conjuration anyway and thus have access to a scaling Ancient Elemental which ends up outclassing it dramatically.

My character is a wild mage ('chaos mage'), and Slaadi (representing chaos) fit her thematically, but other than Gate (which is incredible), she finds few opportunities to use the Slaad stream as even the Elder Elementals are tougher, hit harder and (in the case of water) also regenerate. They also have a 24-hour duration compared to the Slaad's turn/level.

It's not my intent to prod the devs to change anything (summons as they are are pretty great!); I am just genuinely curious if there's ever any legitimate use for the Greater Planar Binding summons. I am only seeing mages running around with either an ancient fire or ancient water elemental. There seems to be minimal diversity in theme regarding late-game summons. Just seems unfortunate that there's now a larger variety of summons available via streams, but outside of Gate, the only summons regularly used are elementals.

Thanks.
Current character: Abigail Duskwood

Rwby

Re: Greater Planar Binding

Post by Rwby » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:45 pm

Remember GPB gives you the option to use it offensively vs outsiders.

Dr_Hazard89

Re: Greater Planar Binding

Post by Dr_Hazard89 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:16 pm

Personally, no. I never find any use for the spell as a summon. Weak, costly (spell components) and short duration.
Characters: Xun'sali (ACTIVE), Tianae Tymeaneldth (Rolled), Sylali (Rolled), Magpie (Rolled), Ker'uanna Tymeaneldth (Rolled), Lepota Poklona (Rolled), Andariel Bloodletter (Shelved), Tahl'tril Cyredrretyn (Rolled), L'omithiel (Shelved).