Character (Build) Advice

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Velkar

Character (Build) Advice

Post by Velkar » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:20 am

Hello, I feel like I've made too many of these lately... but here's another.

I'm basically wanting to make a character that's completely unrestricted in where they go and what they can get up to - initially, at least. A blank slate / wanderer, so to say, to interact with as many areas as possible and be shaped by them.
Edit: I should mention it'll be a human just to keep things simple.

Currently I'm thinking either a melee bard or dual wield ranger (with some rogue levels... maybe). I'm not fussed about super min-maxing or anything, I just want to know if these would work and if anybody has any advice about what sort of stats (mainly should I focus dex or str, and if bard how much cha to get), any really nice feats that would help out, just general suggestions really.
Bard has the added bonus of the perform/disguise thing, I guess.

Thanks in advance!

Durvayas
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Re: Character (Build) Advice

Post by Durvayas » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:39 am

Human bard. Sell coffee in the UD as an imports/exports merchant. You'll be able to go just about anywhere.
Plays: Durvayas(deleted), Marco(deleted), Hounynrae(NPC), Sinithra Auvry'ndal(rolled), Rauvlin Barrith(Active), Madeline Clavelle(Shelved)

msterswrdsmn

Post by msterswrdsmn » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:24 am

A character that can go anywhere rp-wise? A bard or rogue/shadowdancer merchant. Raise your stealth scores, have a good cha/bluff or perform. Have the cooking (whatever its called now) crafting skill as your main stat. Follow parties up into dangerous areas via stealth, then sell them healing supplies at exorbanantly marked-up rates. Stealth-buff some spawns with non-visible spells from invisibilty ahead of them to "encourage" heavy healing item usage.

Raise your search/open locks/disable traps skills to loot additional things you can sell off.

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:02 am

For more of a wanderer, you might try a ranger/rogue or ranger/rogue/fighter. Dual kukris, 4 levels fighter to pick up WS/EWS, and 21 levels ranger to get +4 blade thirst (extended blade thirst, if possible, but any blade thrist will save you lots on healing). 5 rogue for roguey goodness.

Gear for str/con, 12 dex, eventually aiming to get ranger runic studded leather. Tailoring, DC 56, insanely useful. Possibly worth taking a gift of craftsmanship so you could get it as early as level 12.
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

Velkar

Post by Velkar » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:04 am

These ideas are great, especially the evil stealth merchant, but I don't quite think I have the skill / knowledge of the server yet to pull something like that off!

Thank you for the Ranger idea, looks simple enough for a noob like me and also effective. The edited blade thirst has always seemed a really cool spell imo.

What about bard? Would a melee bard work, probably wearing armour and just buffing outside of combat? 2h or shield? Suggested stats? I don't want to multiclass paladin, just because I don't really want to RP one or a lawful good character, so should I be dipping into fighter? (If so, when?)

Astral

Post by Astral » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:38 am

msterswrdsmn wrote:Follow parties up into dangerous areas via stealth, then sell them healing supplies at exorbanantly marked-up rates. Stealth-buff some spawns with non-visible spells from invisibilty ahead of them to "encourage" heavy healing item usage.
This. Right there. Savage. Awesome.

I'd go for a ranger bard sd for this.
Currently playing: Seth Xylo

Rwby

Post by Rwby » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:37 am

Astral wrote:
msterswrdsmn wrote:Follow parties up into dangerous areas via stealth, then sell them healing supplies at exorbanantly marked-up rates. Stealth-buff some spawns with non-visible spells from invisibilty ahead of them to "encourage" heavy healing item usage.
This. Right there. Savage. Awesome.

I'd go for a ranger bard sd for this.
Easily the most hilarious idea I've seen in weeks.

Opustus

Post by Opustus » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:10 pm

Velkar wrote:What about bard? Would a melee bard work, probably wearing armour and just buffing outside of combat? 2h or shield? Suggested stats? I don't want to multiclass paladin, just because I don't really want to RP one or a lawful good character, so should I be dipping into fighter? (If so, when?)
Hey Velkar! Bard is a versatile class and melee works best. I have a hard time combining Ranger and Bard in a way that would make sense build-optimisation-wise, but I suppose Bard20/Ranger10 works fine to nab the dualwield/archery feats and then an extra epic feat. I imagine the build would be hard to stat correctly, your damage output would be relatively low and that you would be dualwielding. EDIT: Bard21/Rogue3/Ranger6 might work to bag Uncanny Dodge, which is all-important to DEX builds.

One of the funniest builds I saw on Amia was a Bard20/SD10, but I am not sure how it would translate to Arelith standards. The character was an elf, relied on the silly pewpew damage from a Sneak Attack +2d6 shortbow, and was an utter pain to catch and kill due to high effective stealth and Epic Dodge. In effect, the elusiveness of the build ensured the survival of an oft-targeted and squishy bard, although it is admittedly far from optimal.

And yes, I fully endorse your steering away from Bard/Paladin, it reeks of cheese so much it must be full stilton!
Characters: all poor babies suffering from neglect

Velkar

Post by Velkar » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:30 pm

Opustus wrote:
Velkar wrote:What about bard? Would a melee bard work, probably wearing armour and just buffing outside of combat? 2h or shield? Suggested stats? I don't want to multiclass paladin, just because I don't really want to RP one or a lawful good character, so should I be dipping into fighter? (If so, when?)
I have a hard time combining Ranger and Bard in a way that would make sense build-optimisation-wise,
Ah, no, I meant Ranger or Bard, not Ranger/Bard. Thank you for the response, anyway.

I was thinking of making a 2h Bard/Fighter focused on str instead of dex. I figured since I'd be taking mostly buffing spells, I could wear armour and simply unequip it to buff up then equip it again before combat. Alternatively I could grab still spell, just in case, though I don't think that would help with sixth level Bard spells.
Any advice for that, or alternative ways of going a decent melee damaging Bard?

Opustus

Post by Opustus » Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:56 pm

I imagine that's the way to do it, but someone's free to enlighten me on the bard+armor thing. Bard25/Fighter5 is the staple build, going Bard16/Fighter4 pre-epic and nabbing Epic Weapon Spec on your 27th general feat on the Fighter level.

As for deity, I heartily recommend looking up Shaundakul if you haven't before. He's the archetype exploration and portal-walking deity and Arelith's portal system might offer RP opportunities.
EDIT: Here's his dogma from FR wiki: http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Shaundakul

"Spread the teachings of the Helping Hand by example. Work to promote him among traders, especially trailblazers who seek out new lands and new opportunities. Unearth and resanctify ancient shrines of Shaundakul. Ride the wind, and let it take you wherever it blows. Aid those in need, and trust in the Helping Hand. Seek out the riches of the earth and sea. Journey to distant horizons. Be the first to see the rising sun, the mountain peaks, the lush valleys. Let your footsteps fall where none have tread."
Characters: all poor babies suffering from neglect

kittenblackfriends
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by kittenblackfriends » Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:38 pm

(There's also a Shaundakul priest walking around right now, dropping altars in places.)
Gandalf wrote:Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love.

High Primate

Post by High Primate » Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:15 pm

If you want to be -mechanically- able to go just about anywhere, rogue/monk is your friend. Waukeen has an order of merchant monks if you want to do the traveling merchant thing.
Some builds I've worked on (not recommended):
Charisma Battlecleric
"E-Dodge Brycer"

WanderingPoet

Post by WanderingPoet » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:10 am

Akadi will accept more Wanderers into her ranks! We wander to learn, to experience, to see new places and to find new things - curiosity never sated. Just don't play an elf for drow will eat you. Forget good/evil - wander for the sake of wandering~

Plus, the high priest make pies - which is great incentive!
Path_of_Play wrote:Fear, intimidation, anger - All these, the tyrant's tools.
Laughter, encouragement, play - not simply just for fools.
These tools reveal,
More is learned,
From another in an hour of play,
Than in a year of contention.

Velkar

Post by Velkar » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:07 pm

Semi-related quick question.

How easy is it to raise Perform to 75 on Arileth, with 25 levels in Bard, 18 Cha and Gift of Stardom?

Hunter548

Post by Hunter548 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:13 pm

33 base ranks
10 CHA modifier
6 Gift of Stardom
10 Epic Skill Focus
Make up 16 from gear (Easily doable) and you're there.
UilliamNebel wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:24 pm
You're right. Participating in the forums was a mistake. Won't do this again.
Anime Sword Fighter wrote: I have seen far too many miniskirt anime slave girls.

Velkar

Post by Velkar » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:17 pm

Hunter548 wrote:33 base ranks
10 CHA modifier
6 Gift of Stardom
10 Epic Skill Focus
Make up 16 from gear (Easily doable) and you're there.
Thanks!

kittenblackfriends

Post by kittenblackfriends » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:17 pm

It should be noted that there's several pieces of gear through tailoring that'll give you Perform+5. I believe the ruby amulet, blue suede boots, and performer's gloves.
Gandalf wrote:Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love.

Hunter548

Post by Hunter548 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:22 pm

Yep.
UilliamNebel wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:24 pm
You're right. Participating in the forums was a mistake. Won't do this again.
Anime Sword Fighter wrote: I have seen far too many miniskirt anime slave girls.